Readers and Reading discussion

Reading Cookbooks etc. > Books about food

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
I have read some raves about this book....Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

to be published March 1

I am currently reading Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert - love this guy! The publisher sent me the book, a real treat!

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I have read some raves about this book....Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

to be published March 1"

Thanks for the heads up. I just put the audio version of the book on hold at the library.

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments Mmmmm...this sounds interesting.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I am currently reading Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert - love this guy! The publisher sent me the book, a real treat!"

Eric Ripert is here on Goodreads this week answering questions in his own group Q&A with Chef Eric Ripert

Sandi wrote: "Eric Ripert is here on Goodreads this week answering questions in his own group Q&A with Chef Eric Ripert ."

Sandi, thank you sooooo much for this information!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone read Aphrodite by Isabel Allende? ITs really interesting. All about aphrodisiacs. Very humorous take on them. A fun book!

re-posting this:

for the foodies among us......Watching TOP CHEF a couple of years ago, I noted that one of the prizes was a chance to try out for the Bocuse d'Or competition. I had never heard of this, so looked it up. It is held every other January in Lyon, France and is a VERY serious competition, lots of rules, and the best chefs in the world representing 20+ countries (not the chefs who have already made a great reputation, though. You will not find Thomas Keller nor Eric Ripert there).

I recently heard about this book Knives at Dawn: America's Quest for Culinary Glory at the Legendary Bocuse d'Or Competition and am really enjoying it. The preparation done by these chefs is extraordinary. Many of them are "underwritten" and train for a full year in a special facility.

I am also reading Eric Ripert's newest book, Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert. Much of it is taken from his great food show of the same name, which you can watch online here:

http://aveceric.com/wp/recipes/season-1/
http://aveceric.com/wp/recipes/season-2/

WARNING - the website is not very intuitive. You need to click on the picture above each episode's title. That will open a new window with a recipe. SCROLL DOWN below the recipe to get to the video. It is well-worth the trouble!

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I am also reading Eric Ripert's newest book, Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert. Much of it is taken from his great food show of the same name, which you can watch online..."

Thanks for the link to the show. I missed it when it was on TV. I love watching Eric Ripert's Top Chef video blogs and follow him on Twitter Twitter - Eric Ripert.

message 11: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I am reading a book that has been on my shelves forever....The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Instituteby Michael Ruhlman. It goes into great detail about being a student at the CIA. Exhausting work. Has anyone read it or this other book of his The Soul of a Chef: The Journey Toward Perfection?