The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

Pertaining to the project > The Proverbial Dodo

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant This group seems to have....died.... and I was having such fun too.

message 2: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments I was hoping for more questions!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments yeah, it's too good a group to die...

post some questions someone.

Michael?

Caris?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

message 5: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Michael | 183 comments Mod
I'm sorry, everybody....I've been so busy I've barely been on Goodreads. I'll look over the questions, though, and see if I can think of any we still need to talk about.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments feel free to come up with things we don't need to talk about, too--

message 7: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

I started a new thread! Come join the party! It's called "No Black Men in Second Life." I promise, it's where all the cool people are now.

message 8: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments I feel like this is what happens to a lot of GR groups. They get started, and there is a lot of initial energy and activity, but then it slowly just peters out when all the obvious topics have been talked about.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Exactly.

I have seen it happen again and again.

message 10: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments How can this be avoided? I have 2 groups myself and I have seen similar things happen to them... although this Extra Cool group had a much longer 'active' period than mine did.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I think it must be up to the modeator to goose up the proceedings, throw in some controversial questions, raise a ruckus and arouse the drowsy in a general way.

message 12: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments The group was started so that we would do the moderator's grad school homework! I'm still so angry about that!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments yeah, it just makes me buurrrrrn up when I think about it!!!

message 14: by Jessica (last edited Apr 12, 2011 09:52AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Paul wrote: "I think it must be up to the modeator to goose up the proceedings, throw in some controversial questions, raise a ruckus and arouse the drowsy in a general way."

I agree. I am a co-moderator of the Graham Greene group, and yes, I do see that as my role...you have to be creative to get things going again.
That said, in general the lifespan of groups on the web is short...ephemeral.

message 15: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments I guess it helps to have a group project... like "let's read these specific books on this specific theme" etc. My groups are about vague things. I still like them, in their dormant stages. They're a good repository of resources on their respective topics.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments yes, groups can serve various purposes.

I like your List group Jimmy, and keep meaning to be more active in it.

One gets so busy and...

message 17: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments Thanks Jessica!

message 18: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

The group was started so that we would do the moderator's grad school homework! I'm still so angry about that!

Suck it up, Jimmy, I was very clear that I would be performing experiments on you. You have nobody to blame but yourself. Now, back into that cage.

Yes, I feel like it's mostly my fault that this group has lost its momentum, and I feel a bit disappointed about that. I met a lot of really cool people through this group, and I learned a lot. In fact, I'm doing more research into goodreads right now, but the particular project I'm working on now requires discreet, anonymous interviews instead of a whole bunch of feedback. So, I've neglected introducing new topics here. I've been neglecting most kinds of socializing on here, actually, because I'm just too damned busy.

I think this group was started to gather information for a research project or a school paper. Did the paper get written?

Yes. And no.

The assignment was to do a project proposal, which was entirely written. This group was designed to actually carry out the project, and I have yet to find a class where I can get credit for actually completing this project. So, I hope to compile the data from here into a project eventually. When I'm actively working on the project again, I may be able to resuscitate this group with new questions, topics, surveys, etc. But, for now, I'm focused on doing interviews in another group. When that research project is finished, though, it'll actually be posted on Goodreads...and that'll be very soon.

As far as the genre project, it ain't happening this semester, though.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Doesn't it suck when responsibilities get in the way of having fun?

;-)

message 20: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Majorly. *sigh*

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_baranoff) | 1 comments Maybe the place the project gets credit is a dissertation? Just saying.

message 22: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Or my thesis, since I need to do that one first. If this becomes my thesis project, you folks can count on a LOT more activity and questions! And, since I've so far come up with three separate projects starring Goodreads, it only makes sense if my thesis is Goodreads-related. It's just a question of whether the genre issue is what I'll feel is the most important area to publish on.

In the meantime, you guys can come up with and ask questions and have fun! What else are you peeps curious about?