Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What Job Could You Never Do?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I could never be a cop. I've been on a few ride-alongs and gained new respect for police officers, but there is no way I could chase a suspect and NOT beat his ass when I caught up to him.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Construction Worker. I wouldn't like working in the exposed sun for that many hours at a time, even though I love the sun.

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments A teacher. I lack the spark and patience that marks a good educator.

A nurse, doctor or pa specializing in children, specifically terminally ill children. My mom is very I'll, and the nurses and staff that help her will never fully appreciate my gratitude, but to see a child in a hospital, well, it breaks my heart.

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "Construction Worker. I wouldn't like working in the exposed sun for that many hours at a time, even though I love the sun."

you probably would not want to be a mail carrier or a landscaper either. :)

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There are some construction jobs--finished carpentry, for instance--that are mostly done indoors, so there's hope for you yet, Stacia.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
I doubt I could be an executioner or CIA torturer.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I think kindergarten teacher would be a fun job. I wouldn't want to be a hotel maid.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I doubt I could be an executioner or CIA torturer."

There's a good Spanish movie called El verdugo, about a young guy who wants to marry his sweetheart, but the girl's father, who is a state executioner (un verdugo) approaching retirement age, won't let them get married unless the guy agrees to take over the job. It's a very dark comedy but worth seeing.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Well, that sounds like a better choice than Kindergarten Cop. I guess.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Arnold has his good points.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I always enjoy a viewing of True Lies, at least if you take out Tom Arnold.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jonathan wrote: "There are some construction jobs--finished carpentry, for instance--that are mostly done indoors, so there's hope for you yet, Stacia."

You give me hope! Thanks Jonathan. I can always count on you.

message 13: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Just about any profession that forces you to work in close contact with the general public on a regular basis (unless you can arrest them).

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'm squeamish, so any career that involves blood and gore is out for me. My mother and sister are RN's. I used to work with nurses. I can listen to the stories, or watch it on tv, but I'd throw up if I saw any of it for real.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 53 comments A waitress. I'm not what you would call a people person.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Executioner. That would be a horrible job. My teacher told me about her trip to prison once and the warden had described it to her.

A visit! A visit!

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It would be horrible.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I would suckass at sales. I worked at my wife's cousin's gift shop one Christmas many years ago and people would way "why is this so expensive?" and I would say things like, "I have no idea...it is kind of expensive". I didn't last long.

I grew up in a cop neighborhood, my dad was a cop, and many of my friends became cops. I could be a cop.

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i would suck at sales too. i'm not very good with people and i'm too honest. i can only sell things i'm crazy about myself. i can be a convincing liar, but only when i feel like it.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael I couldn't be a male exotic dancer or work on a factory farm or be a nurse.

message 21: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Michael wrote: "I couldn't be a male exotic dancer or work on a factory farm or be a nurse."

*puts away the fistful of five-dollar bills*

I couldn't be a nurse because I can't handle gross stuff, couldn't be a vet tech for the same reason, and couldn't be a server or salesperson because my toleration of idiocy threshhold is very low.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ... my toleration of idiocy threshhold is very low.

Yet you hang out with us.

message 23: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry wrote: " ... my toleration of idiocy threshhold is very low.

Yet you hang out with us."

Yes, well, many of us here are smart, and compared to the VA, we are all geniuses.

message 24: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Anything which doesn't involve working from home, reading and writing.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

janine wrote: "i would suck at sales too. i'm not very good with people and i'm too honest. i can only sell things i'm crazy about myself. i can be a convincing liar, but only when i feel like it."

With a lot of sales, though, honesty and sincerity can really work on your behalf. Let's say you work in a bike store, selling bikes that range from $400 to $3,000. Customers are going to assume you will try to upsell them, get them to buy the more expensive bikes. But if the person is not that athletic and just wants a casual ride, you the honest person won't try to sell them the expensive bike. You'll ask them questions about where they'll be riding, how often, on what terrain, and you'll recommend several bikes at 2-3 different prices. Now they trust you because you didn't try to upsell them, and they'll recommend your store to their friends.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I never thought I'd be good at fundraising, but the one time I did it, I was really good.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I just don't like trying to convince people to buy things, you know? I hear what you're saying, though, LG. I sometimes have to work with donors, and I've been told that one of the reasons I'm successful is that I'm transparent. It's not like I'm trying to look genuine or authentic or whatever. The idea of trying to fool or con a donor doesn't enter my mind. I don't see the point. I also don't feel a huge wave of success or whatever when they agree to a donation.

I have to work with budgets a lot. I'm ok at it. It's not my favorite part of the job, but I can do it maybe better than I thought.

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6029 comments Anything in which I would have to deal with the general public.

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Any personable asshole can be good at sales, short term, by convincing people to buy something they don't really want/need.

A successful, long-term salesperson doesn't do that at all. It's about identifying the customer's underlying needs and helping them meet them in a way that saves them time and effort. It's about anticipating the road blocks they'll face and giving them the proper tools to overcome them. Do that, and customers will be lined up outside the door waiting to give you money.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

im pretty sure i couldn't be anything which involves training people, talking to people who dont give a shit what im saying, or being super secretive.
i think i'll do decent as a psychiatrist though.

message 31: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Yeah, whenever I take those tests (Meyers-Brigss, etc), they always say I should be a teacher. That is the last thing I want to be.