Orcapod Sunday Book Group discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty (longingformorereadingtime) | 12 comments Mod
Welcome to our Orcapod Goodreads! Any member can start a new discussion, so have at it! We could start with introductions. I'm Patty and I'm a librarian in Shelton. I love coming to Orcapod because I don't have to organize it. Just read the book and show up! Yeah. I love literary fiction, humorous fiction (black humor) and quirky nonfiction (like rock and roll biographies that are well written and also books on obscure topics, like I once read a book on the history of the pencil). Some of my favorite books of all time are "Confederacy of Dunces," anything by Ray Carver, "Beloved" (Morrison), Sportswriter by Richard Ford (the series, but particularly the first), The Rabbit series by John Updike and, and, and....so many more. I love book groups because they stretch my reading into areas I would never forge alone. I also love my three schnauzer dogs and scrapbooking.

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Feb 22, 2011 12:24AM) (new)

Cathy | 12 comments Thank you Patty for your welcome and for setting up this group!

I'm Cathy and have been part of Orcapod since its inception and enjoy the diversity this group offers. Our backgrounds seem to be very pronounced when we review books. Some are analytic others literary and some specific and detailed. I love it! The size of the group also varies depending on the month or other astrological disturbances.

I'm finding that I'm more and more drawn to non-fiction which is a surprise to me! Gladwell has become one of my faves and I really enjoyed Nutureshock, the last book we read. The best book I've read in a long time is The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. Just finished it and was transported.

I love mystery as well and Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series is great! Funny and dark with twists and turns. You have to start with the first of the series to get the full impact. Elizabeth George is another mystery writer I like. Her stuff can be dark. Start at the beginning of her series. Sometimes she pisses me off but by and large I really like her books.

I am a part-time knitter, a member of a memoir writing group, dabble in Spanish, do family history photo albums and do on-line picture books of trips, holidays, etc. I also am the caretaker of a very small but demanding yard and have two quasi pets, an intellectually challenged cockatiel (Arthur) and a formerly feral cat who doesn't realize he's been tamed (Frank).