Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > PA teacher suspended with pay over rant blog

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart So a high school teacher had a blog where she called her students "lazy whiners" among other things. And now she's suspended.

What do you think?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't think what she did is very professional. if you want to rant it's not always a good idea to do that in public. and if she wants to address a problem, there are better ways to do that too.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Terminal Coffee is an excellent venue for that.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments dear students,

you're lazy whiners, etc.

love,
your teacher

that already sounds much better. problem solved.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Brilliant, Dutch.

message 6: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments She has every right to say or write what she wants, however I think her suspension was merited. May I suggest a career change?

Not every teacher is effective nor should they have become teachers, and it's thoughtless and caustic people like this woman who gives those in education, those who are good and caring efucators, black eye.

message 7: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Dear past high school teachers,

If I am a retail worker, a garbage man, a college professor, a day care worker or a whiney English high school teacher, I am nearly trying to make ends meet on this world. Sorry we all can't be unmotivatible, cynical, washed up has beens who, for the grace of tenure, found salvation as a public servant. If everyone else is so wrong, could it be you?

Signed,
Doing the best I can

This one hit a nerve. Sorry for the vent.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24322 comments Mod
She deserves the suspension. Hell, it's with pay ! She went way over the line. If someone wants to vent to that degree, there's something useful called anonymity.

message 9: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I fully respect the job of teachers, and I know that there are some snot nosed kids out there, but jeeze, in the years it took her to get her degree and certification to teacher, did the idiot ever stop and ask herself if SHE could be an effective?

message 10: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments This cracks me up. I've had a lot of teachers who used to say stuff like that--and worse--to our faces.

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 18, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I had a teacher who told me in front of the class that I didn't belong in advanced placement because of my last name. He was extremely cruel to me before even knowing one thing about me, and I eventually started cutting his class before dropping out because he would humiliate me for no reason.

I guess he had taught both my brother and cousin and they caused him trouble. Even so, it's not a reason to judge someone else because of it.

If only I had known just how out of bounds he was back then, and that I should have reported him.

message 12: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments That's happened to me, too Stacia, being judged because of siblings that went before, but I enjoyed proving them wrong. Some teachers were worse than others, but their negativity just made me work harder.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I wasn't as strong at 14 as I am now, or that might have worked for me. :p

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm a trained teacher, and work as a substitute. Substitutes get absolute hell, but kids are kids. This shows very poor judgment. I'm thinking about how, when I was getting my degree, a teacher friend taught me that one of the essential things to do was learn how NOT to let your emotions show. Things do get to you, but you give up your control (and become a source of entertainment) if you let students see that they can manipulate you. So I cultivated good humor and a learned to behave like a grown-up. And it really does work. You can't teach kids who either think they can pull your strings or who think you don't like them.

I think suspension was about right. There is probably hope for her (and they may well be lazy whiners) but she's got to be more mature than the kids. She needs to not be a whiner herself. Still, I wish I had her job.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Things do get to you, but you give up your control (and become a source of entertainment) if you let students see that they can manipulate you. So I cultivated good humor and a learned to behave like a grown-up. And it really does work."

Good points. Reminds me of a cop memoir I just read where the cop talked about maintaining the upper hand in perp situations. Perps/potential perps have a lot of experience manipulating and playing the police.

The Wagon and Other Stories from the City

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments My mom and sister were/are prison nurses...yeah, they've had to learn it too. Although my sister still gets wedding proposals on a weekly basis.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have mixed feelings about this issue

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3443 comments Venting is fine -- just don't do it online.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments meaning we can vent just don't leave a trail or evidence? not sure i agree with not having the freedom to vent however you choose. kids can prob call their teachers whatever they want online but teachers can't. unprofessional? sure. poor judgement? yes. fireable offense? not in my book

message 20: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3443 comments I didn't know she was fired. Not right, because there's nothing she can be charged with legally.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Scout wrote: "I didn't know she was fired. Not right, because there's nothing she can be charged with legally."

She didn't, but people get fired for doing a bad job - rarely does legality enter into it.

message 22: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I am the child of a career professor and also taught for two years. I think this was definitely unprofessional and the suspension is justified, and also that the teacher in question might want to think long and hard about whether this was a temporary bout of exasperation or if she's burning out.

Kevin, to address your question about not leaving a trail of evidence, I think that we all have to live with the lack of privacy on the internet. Students are warned that pictures of them on their blogs can count against them in job-hunting or college choices, so I see no reason teachers shouldn't be held to the same standards. We've all heard the truism not to write anything on the internet that we wouldn't want everyone reading, and if privacy is an issue, have a journal on your hard drive or, gasp, a handwritten one.

As for whether or not it's a fireable expense, that will depend a lot on her contract and the school system's code.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so if she just said this out loud in a public forum/place where it was heard it would be ok? just writing it on a blog is not?

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i def see your and others points here. i don't agree with how she went about venting but i still have mixed feelings. she prob is not too far off on her assessment (based on what i know about kids in schools) and maybe some of the spoiled entitlement kids need dialed down a notch. i really don't have an answer or solid comment. just free flowing on what i am thinking...

message 25: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 56 comments It said she didn't state what school or even her full name in the blog, right? And she didn't name any students either.

From what I have read, it seems that she only had about 9 followers, which were family and friends. The fact that the students found it and brought it to the schools attention just proves they're little assholes.

A lot of kids these days ARE horrible lazy whiners, and I don't need to be a teacher to notice that. lol

Btw, I went to a Blue Ribbon high school in Georgia. Not the same one, of course. My psychology teacher was known to cuss, and she had no problem calling someone a "whiner". She was an amazing teacher and made the class fun, which made the subject fun to learn for everyone.

ALL teachers vent, just like in any other profession. Apparently she blogged during work hours though.

Now THAT was stupid.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ^^^ good addition to these thread comments

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

From what I have read, it seems that she only had about 9 followers, which were family and friends. The fact that the students found it and brought it to the schools attention just proves they're little assholes.

If that's what happened, I think what it proves is that she didn't take enough care to make herself anonymous.

However entitled or whiny her students are, the fact remains that educations are for the students. Her job is to provide an environment where students can learn. The students have to come first. As with any public service job, the "client" comes first. With a firefighter, it's people and their homes. With a teacher, it's the students. If people in these public service jobs find that they aren't suited to putting first the needs of those they're serving, they should find another career.

Like the firefighter who refused to go on the call where Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was the victim. That guy should not be a firefighter.

message 28: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3443 comments Almost everyone has a job gripe. That's what friends are for. Griping online (along with a thousand other things) isn't smart.

Public servants - teachers, firefighters, elected officials, etc. - should not do anything contrary to the interests of the people they serve. A certain selflessness is implied in the job description.

message 29: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I sympathize with this teacher, not because I am a teacher or ever would be...I do not have the patience, know how, or desire. I sympathize because I was such a shit when I was a student. I wasn't nessesarily lazy, nor did I feel entitled, but boy did I argue about damn near everything...even stupid little things that didn't matter. My teachers didn't hold back on telling me how they felt about it either...and to this day I'm thankful that they felt like they could put me in my place when they needed to. Although I fear I pushed my 10th grade Biology teacher a bit too far. The last thing she ever said to me was "My God you are really something (this was not meant as a compliment either), you could argue a nun out of her habit and into a whore house"...then she threw up her hands and walked out of class. The last half of the year was really awkward in her class because she never acknowledged my presence again...I was pissed about it at the time but looking back I think I totally deserved it. I'm almost 100% positive that a teacher could not get away with doing that these days.
I do agree that this teacher shouldn't have been blogging these things while at the school, but what she said doesn't really bother me either.

message 30: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Like Kevin, I am torn. I lack some information. Was this a one-time, or first incidence of such blogging? Or has she regularly been dissing her students? That would make a diference to me in how I feel about the matter.

So far though I feel that it may have been poor judgement--but imho suspension is too severe.