The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.10- Kia Ora

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 19, 2011 03:26AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17501 comments Mod
5.10 Kia Ora: A Māori language greeting which has entered New Zealand English, Kia Ora means literally "be well/healthy" and is translated as an informal "hi". Read a book originally written in a language that is not your native language.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments anyone know of a good list for options? thanks!

message 5: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Awesome! Thank you so much!

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

And here's a list too Writers by language

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Maggie, Steig Larsson's books are absolutely amazing!

message 9: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I think I'm going to read The Shadow of the Wind for this task.

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Juli wrote: "I think I'm going to read The Shadow of the Wind for this task."

The author's website http://www.carlosruizzafon.co.uk/ has lots of extras- the walking tour (in some editions) and music he wrote to accompany the book

message 11: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Do you have to read the book in your native language or can it be read in the language it was originally published in?

I read a lot books originally written in English and prefer reading them in their "true" language rather than translations, but if need be I could probably come up with a translation, so just checking.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

The only condition is that the book should have been originally written in a language other than your native language. If your native language is not English, you could read a book in English or a translation to your native language or any other language.

message 13: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Perfect. Thanks for clarifying that bit.

message 14: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments that`s amazing task. I got many choices as my native language is polish. One question would you accept ebook ?

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "that`s amazing task. I got many choices as my native language is polish. One question would you accept ebook ?"

sure

message 16: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "that`s amazing task. I got many choices as my native language is polish. One question would you accept ebook ?"

sure"

Thank you

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments So initially I had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but then I did 20.2 and one of my random words was "tattoo" so I moved it to that section. Will Love in the Time of Cholera work? I think so because I'm pretty sure it was written in Spanish originally.

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Amanda Pearl wrote: "So initially I had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but then I did 20.2 and one of my random words was "tattoo" so I moved it to that section. Will [book:Love in the Time of Cholera|..."

It does, the author's website confirms the original Spanish publication