The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.9- Shrimp on the Barbie

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 19, 2011 03:28AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17501 comments Mod
5.9 Shrimp on the Barbie Read a "shrimp" of a book with 200 or fewer pages.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Does this one also have to meet the normal challenge rule of at least 100 pages?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Yes, at least 100, but not more than 200

message 6: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Okay! Thanks! :)

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Anyone have any good suggestions? Somehow I have very few to choose from on my to-read list. Thanks!

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Great! thanks.

message 10: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments No problem! You can also search other novellas. They're generally 100-200 pages :)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments It can be non-fiction, correct?

I'm looking to read No-nonsense Guide to Fair Trade.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I recommend Shopgirl and Breakfast at Tiffany's for anyone looking

I think I might do Tinkers.

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Katie wrote: "It can be non-fiction, correct?

I'm looking to read No-nonsense Guide to Fair Trade."

Non-fiction is fine

message 14: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dlmrose, in the rules for Spring 2011 in says that one or two books that are 80-100 pages can be used for the 5 pt. tasks. Would it be ok to use that here for this task? I have a couple of shorter books and wanted to see where I could fit them. Thanks!

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Sure, just use them sparingly

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sure, just use them sparingly"

Great, thanks!

message 17: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I was given a copy of Born Indian ages ago that's just sat on my shelf, at 150 or so pages, it will fit perfect.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Will Coraline by Neil Gaiman work? It's 197 pages so works for length. But - does it fit within the new ya/juvenile book rule? Kinda confused about that one, it's not very specific. Coraline is in the juvenile section, so thought I'd better check first!
Thanks!

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Kim wrote: "Will Coraline by Neil Gaiman work? It's 197 pages so works for length. But - does it fit within the new ya/juvenile book rule? Kinda confused about that one, it's not very specific. Coraline is..."

Coraline works. The new rule doesn't impact YA at all. It refers to books aimed at very young readers- and those books can be used for the 5-15 point tasks if you choose

message 20: by Cindy AL (last edited Mar 29, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I have a book that I want to use that is 193 pages. When I look on Goodreads, though, most of the editions are just over 200 pages (208, 203 and 220). Can I use this book for this task?
I should add Goodreads does show the edition I have at 193 pages. Thanks!

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Does the isbn match a Goodreads edition? Reissues can sometimes have the same isbn with different covers or formatting. Can you can find a reference from an online retailer or publisher?

message 22: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Here's the Goodreads link to the edition I found:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Winter's Bone

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

If that's the edition you have, then it works. Link to that isbn when you post.

message 24: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thanks I will do that

message 25: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments Ok, I'm confused with this one. Does the book/novella have to be between 100-200 pages, or can it be 80-200? I have one I've already read and another I'd like to read that are in the 80 page range. A Fool Again and My Lord. Can I use either of these?

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

TeresaFL wrote: "Ok, I'm confused with this one. Does the book/novella have to be between 100-200 pages, or can it be 80-200? I have one I've already read and another I'd like to read that are in the 80 page range...."

The general rule is that books need to be 100+ pages. There is a rule that allows books 80+ pages for a 5 pt task but they can only be used once or twice a challenge. If you haven't used the 80+ page exception, you could select one of your choices.

message 27: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments Dlmrose wrote: "TeresaFL wrote: "Ok, I'm confused with this one. Does the book/novella have to be between 100-200 pages, or can it be 80-200? I have one I've already read and another I'd like to read that are in t..."

Thanks I haven't used an exception so that works out perfectly.