The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.6- Water Water Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 19, 2011 03:33AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
5.6 Water, Water, Everywhere: Oceania is comprised on many island nations. Read a book with a view of a body of water on the cover. Underwater and in-water images work.
The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman Jaws by Peter Benchley The Motion of the Ocean 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife by Janna Cawrse Esarey The Diving Pool Three Novellas by Yoko Ogawa

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Apr 03, 2011 08:19AM) (new)

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would you accept Surfing the long summer by Carol Velthuis?
It`s e-book so I`d like to know if is ok :)

message 5: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 70 comments Does this work?

Curse of the Blue Tattoo Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2) by L.A. Meyer

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept Surfing the long summer by Carol Velthuis by Carol Velthuis?
It`s e-book so I`d like to know if is ok :)"

As long as that's the edition you'll download, it works

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Katelin wrote: "Does this work?

Curse of the Blue Tattoo Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2) by L.A. Meyer"

It looks like they're standing on a wharf with a ship on the water in the background, but the image is small. If that's what it is, it works

message 8: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept Surfing the long summer by Carol Velthuis by Carol Velthuis?
It`s e-book so I`d like to know if is ok :)"

As long as that's the edition you'll download, it ..."

Thank you :)

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1501 comments How about Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5) by Elizabeth Lowell ?

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Sue T wrote: "How about Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5) by Elizabeth Lowell?"

It works

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1501 comments Thanks!

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would Arousing Love by M.H. Strom work? It looks like the backgrous is a picture of a sunrise/sunset ocean (not really sure which).

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would Arousing Love by M.H. Strom work? It looks like the backgrous is a picture of a sunrise/sunset ocean (not really sure which)."

It looks like sunrise/set over water to me, but the image is small. I think you'll need to have the book in-hand to be sure. If it's water, it works- even if it's red/pink/orange

message 14: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would you accept illustrations (as opposed to photographs) of bodies of water? and do rivers and lakes count? thanks! :)

message 15: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments will this work? Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1) by Virginia Kantra

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "would you accept illustrations (as opposed to photographs) of bodies of water? and do rivers and lakes count? thanks! :)"

Any depiction of a body of water works; illustrations are fine. Rivers, lakes, pools etc. all count., but it should be a body of water- not a drop

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Valorie wrote: "will this work? Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1) by Virginia Kantra"

That works

message 18: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments thanks! :)

message 19: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Great thanks!

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Does this work The Testament by John Grisham ?

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Does this work The Testament by John Grisham?"

It does

message 22: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 53 comments Would Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes
it looks like a girl in a angle costume is drowning.

If not I can use The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman
though the cover of my book shows a woman floating in a lake with lilies. Can the other cover be found by someone with librarian status

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Izzy wrote: "Would Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

though the cover of my book shows a woman..."

Silver Bay looks like it is underwater- but you have to look very closely- if you use this book, please state that it was approved

Was this The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman your cover? It works too

message 24: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments For anyone who doesn't have any ideas (like me lol)-almost all of Nicholas Sparks' books have water on the covers. :)

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15859 comments Mod
Another one is The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards , the latest book by Kim Edwards. I had a hold on it at the library, and when I picked it up today, I knew where I'd be able to use it in the challenge!

message 26: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I'm choosing between Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins and Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 27: by Juli (last edited Feb 26, 2011 10:16PM) (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I think I'll either read Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay or The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre from my TBR shelf for this one.

message 28: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 53 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Izzy wrote: "Would Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

though the cover of my book ..."

Hi thanks for looking those books up for me the cover with the the lily is the one I have

message 29: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments What about Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1) by Stephanie Dray \? Is that enough water?

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Lindsey wrote: "What about Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1) by Stephanie Dray\? Is that enough water?"

Yes, definitely looks like a pool or fountain basin

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Demonglass Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins I believe this is either supposed to be a lake or a pool of water? Is it okay? It kind of looks like an alternative take on the cover of the first book. Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Demonglass Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins I believe this is either supposed to be a lake or a pool of water? Is it okay? It kind of looks like an alternative take on the cover of the first book. ..."

It's hard to tell if it is water, but I'll okay it since it is a reflecting pool of some kind. I'm not sure how closely the cover is connected to the plot of this book, but I read the first chapter at the publisher's website and there is water involved.

message 33: by Dee (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:48PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments its a YA - so I wanted to get approval - Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

YA can be used anywhere in the challenge unless specifically excluded. The young reader rule refers to books aimed at young elementary readers- grades 1-3 like Junie B. Jones. Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus works.

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments I figured it did, but I just wanted to double check..i'm paranoid that way ;)

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Will Uncertain Voyage work? The book cover shows a ship at sea.

Uncertain Voyage  by Dorothy Gilman

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Angie wrote: "Will Uncertain Voyage work? The book cover shows a ship at sea.

Uncertain Voyage  by Dorothy Gilman"

Lots of angry water there, it works

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Thank you.

message 39: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Something I thought of that might work for this, that I wanted to just offer up would be Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell : Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell , The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell . It's a great classic in case anyone is having trouble with some ideas.

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Demonglass Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins I believe this is either supposed to be a lake or a pool of water? Is it okay? It kind of looks like an alternative take on the cover..."

Thanks!

message 41: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments What about The Sea Captain's Wife: A True Story of Love, Race, and War in the Nineteenth Century? Its hard to see cuz its all the same color but the bottom part is actually the sea.

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Lindsey wrote: "What about The Sea Captain's Wife: A True Story of Love, Race, and War in the Nineteenth Century? Its hard to see cuz its all the same color but the bottom part is actually the sea."

sure, it looks like water to me- please point the water out when you post

message 43: by Mabeelle (new)

Mabeelle | 99 comments Is this ok? INDÉLÉBILE by Karin Slaughter It looks like it's raining.

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Mabeelle wrote: "Is this ok? INDÉLÉBILE by Karin Slaughter It looks like it's raining."

Sorry, no- it must be a body of water

message 45: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) Would this work? Once a Runner  by John L. Parker Jr.

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicki wrote: "Would this work? Once a Runner  by John L. Parker Jr."

Yes, it does

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Would this work? The Girls by Lori Lansens

message 48: by Dlmrose (new)

Claire wrote: "Would this work? The Girls by Lori Lansens"

yes, it does

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Would Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer work? In the backdrop you have the sea..

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

Melanie wrote: "Would Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer work? In the backdrop you have the sea.."

That works- I see the sea!

« previous 1