The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.9 - In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:35AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
15.9 -- In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Read a book with the name of an animal in the title or a picture of an animal on the cover. Animals must be real. Dogs, cats, insects, horses, fish, birds, or reptiles will work. Mythical animals such as dragons, unicorns, werewolves, and vampires will not. Required: If using the cover option, you must include the cover or a link to the book in your post.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:18AM) (new)

These will NOT work:
The Bronze Horseman

message 4: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments How prominent does the animal have to be on the cover? I was thinking of Children of Amarid (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #1) by David B. Coe , which as a hawk on the cover although the person is more prominent.

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Isabell wrote: "How prominent does the animal have to be on the cover? I was thinking of Children of Amarid (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #1) by David B. Coe, which as a hawk on the cover although the person is more prominent."

That works. The animal doesn't need to be especially prominent.

message 6: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Thanks.

message 7: by Erin (NY) (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:57AM) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Do insects work? "bee" or "dragonfly"? (Little Bee or Dragonfly in Amber)
Edited: never mind! I just realized they are permitted in the task description

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (miss_courtneyo) | 21 comments The Tequila Worm by Viola Canales

Would this work?

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Courtney wrote: "The Tequila Worm by Viola Canales

Would this work?"

Yes it will.

message 10: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I think I'll read Pigs in Heaven for this task.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Juli wrote: "I think I'll read Pigs in Heaven for this task."

I really enjoyed that one.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristen wrote: "Is the The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons ok?"

No, sorry, additions to the animal name that make it not an animal anymore won't work.

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Would a "dead" bird, or silhouette of one work?

Here is the cover:

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Thanks so much!

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Keri ★TX wrote: "Would a "dead" bird, or silhouette of one work?
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie"

Yes, that works.

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Wonderful. I happen to find a somewhat local bookclub where I live and they are reading this book for an upcoming meeting. I had been hoping to stick this into the Reading Challenge too. Thank you!

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Would this work? Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "Would this work?Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright"

I can clearly see that it's a wolf. So, yes, it will work.

message 19: by RedSycamore (last edited Mar 17, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments What about a stylized animal like Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller or Crossfire by Dick Francis ? (Not Batman, but the little bat in the yellow part of the cover. It's very small in this picture)

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Rachel Renee wrote: "What about a stylized animal like Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller or Crossfire by Dick Francis? (Not Batman, but the little bat in the yellow part of the cover. It's very sma..."

Either of those would work.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I am wondering if The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins will work. The pin is of a bird.

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kelly wrote: "I am wondering if The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins will work. The pin is of a bird."

Birds work.

message 23: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Will this work?

Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog (stephcover2cover) | 53 comments How about Dinosaurs? for example: Eating the Dinosaur byChuck Klosterman.

Thanks

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Joanna wrote: "Will this work?

Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll"

Yes.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Stephanie wrote: "How about Dinosaurs? for example: Eating the Dinosaur byChuck Klosterman.

Thanks"

Dinosaurs work.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi I have two ideas for this.

Would

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

or

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black

work? In the bottom right corner of Shiver there is an outline of a wolf and Tithe has a butterfly.

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hi I have two ideas for this.

Would

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

or

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black

work? In the bottom right corner of Shiver there is an outline of a wolf and Tithe has a butterfly."

Either one of these would work.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments How about this one...it's a juvenile book with 200 pages?

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kim wrote: "How about this one...it's a juvenile book with 200 pages?

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo"

Yes, that works.

message 31: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I would like to use The Lady and the Unicorn (Loveswept, #29) by Iris Johansen

Although there is "unicorn" in the title, the story is actually about a woman who runs an animal reserve. On the cover it looks like there are bison/some kind of cattle. Just wanted to make sure the animals could be made out well enough. Thanks!

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fran wrote: "I would like to use The Lady and the Unicorn (Loveswept, #29) by Iris Johansen

Although there is "unicorn" in the title, the story is actually about a woman who runs an animal reserve. On the cover it looks lik..."

Yeah, unicorn won't work. But that does look vaguely like a buffalo or bison on the cover. I'll take it.

message 33: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Thanks Kristi. :)

message 34: by Judithe (new)

Judithe | 74 comments I'm wondering if one of these would work? The stories are about shifters, however, the animal in the pic on front is a depiction of a real animal.
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews (lion) Savage Nature (Leopard People, #5) by Christine Feehan (leopard)

message 35: by Kristina Simon (new)

Judithe wrote: "I'm wondering if one of these would work? The stories are about shifters, however, the animal in the pic on front is a depiction of a real animal.
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews(lion)[bookcover..."

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, Judithe. I've been out on the boat all weekend.

Either one of these will work. As long as the picture is of a real animal, it's OK if the stories are about not-so-real animals ;o). Enjoy!

message 36: by Judithe (new)

Judithe | 74 comments No problem, and hope you had a wonderful time on the boat!

message 37: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I was hoping to use It's Raining Pigs & Noodles. Does it count?

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lahni wrote: "I was hoping to use It's Raining Pigs & Noodles. Does it count?"

The word "Pigs" in the title fits the task, the book is over 100 pages, and poetry is fine. So, yes, that book will work. I read the first couple of poems on Google Books. Very cute ;o)!

message 39: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks.