The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.7 - Lab Lit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:34AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
15.7 -- Lab Lit
Albert Einstein was born March 14, 1879 and he died April 18, 1955. In honor of this great scientist, read a novel in which a scientist plays a major role. Examples: Prodigal Summer (biologist), Talk Nerdy to Me (chemical engineer), Cannery Row (marine biologist), Jurassic Park or Mendel's Dwarf (geneticists), etc. Required: If the scientist's role in the story is not obvious from the GR description of the book, state how a scientist plays a major role in the book.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Won't Work:
The Secret
Einstein: His Life and Universe -- non-fiction

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15899 comments Mod
How about archaeologists and/or forensic anthropologists? I'm thinking of The Janus Stone, which sounds interesting.

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sandy wrote: "How about archaeologists and/or forensic anthropologists? I'm thinking of The Janus Stone, which sounds interesting."

That does sound good. And, yes, archaeologists and anthropologists would both work.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments I found this website that might help people (subject to specific book approval) - http://www.lablit.com/the_list

I think i'm going to go with Tensleep (geologist)

message 7: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Is IntuitionAllegra Goodman ok?

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I found this website that might help people (subject to specific book approval) - http://www.lablit.com/the_list

I think i'm going to go with Tensleep (geologist)"

That works. Looks good...

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "Is IntuitionAllegra Goodman ok?"

Yes. This one looks good, too!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I was thinking "The Secret" by Eva Hoffman

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15899 comments Mod
Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sandy wrote: "How about archaeologists and/or forensic anthropologists? I'm thinking of The Janus Stone, which sounds interesting."

That does sound good. And, yes, archaeologists a..."

Thanks, Kristi.

message 12: by Ashlea (new)

Ashlea Daune (ashyydaune) | 45 comments The main characters father is a scientest and he plays a big part, but i dont know if its big enough. His science built a robot, that is the main characters nanny. The book is The Queen Geek Social Club by Laura Preble

Will this work?

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I was thinking "The Secret" by Eva Hoffman"

It sounds like science plays a role in this story but not a scientist. Unless the mother is a scientist of some sort, but it doesn't sound like it from the reviews I read.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Ashlea wrote: "The main characters father is a scientest and he plays a big part, but i dont know if its big enough. His science built a robot, that is the main characters nanny. The book is [bookcover:The Queen ..."

It sounds like the father and his robot play a pretty major role in her life, so it should work. Sounds cute ;o).

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Would a mad scientist work? Every challenge I have had Frankenstein on my list, yet I never manage to end up reading it.

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Diane wrote: "Would a mad scientist work? Every challenge I have had Frankenstein on my list, yet I never manage to end up reading it."

LOL. Yes, even if they're mad they'll work. I've had Frankenstein on my to-be-read list for forever, too.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments H. G. Wells' Time Machine works? Hope so. Haven't read that in probably 20 years.

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Robin wrote: "H. G. Wells' Time Machine works? Hope so. Haven't read that in probably 20 years."

Yes. It would work.

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments Would books with a doctor as a main character work?

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Would books with a doctor as a main character work?"

Yes.

message 21: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1446 comments um, computer scientist to-be?

specifically Fortuna by Michael R. Stevens

message 22: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Would Ape House work?

message 23: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments For TC Boyle fans his newest fits perfectly here:

When the Killing's Done by T.C. Boyle

message 24: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Karen, I was just coming here to post that! That's what I'm planning to use.

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Karen wrote: "Fortuna by Michael R. Stevens"

That works.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

KSMary wrote: "Would Ape House work?"

Yes.

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "For TC Boyle fans his newest fits perfectly here:

When the Killing's Done by T.C. Boyle"

Yes it does. Great suggestion!

message 28: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments I'm excited because T C Boyle will be in Seattle March 1 and I plan to go hear him and get a signed copy!

message 29: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I believe The Alchemist's Secret would work from the description involving an American scientist. I am just looking to double-check.
Thanks!

message 30: by Janet (new)

Janet Berkman (jannie_b) I would like to read The Blind Contessa's New Machine which features an 'eccentric inventor who devises the world's first typewriter.' Is this close enough to scientist?

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Christine US wrote: "I believe The Alchemist's Secret would work from the description involving an American scientist. I am just looking to double-check.
Thanks!"

Sounds like it will work just fine.

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Janet wrote: "I would like to read The Blind Contessa's New Machine which features an 'eccentric inventor who devises the world's first typewriter.' Is this close enough to scientist?"

He sounds like a scientist to me. It will work.

message 33: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I have a Harlequin I picked up from a used book sale- Primal Instincts (Harlequin Blaze #378) that has a photojournalist and an anthropologist as the two main characters- just making sure it's ok.

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fran wrote: "I have a Harlequin I picked up from a used book sale- Primal Instincts (Harlequin Blaze #378) that has a photojournalist and an anthropologist as the two main characters- just making..."

Yep. Anthropologist works. Sounds cute ;o).

message 35: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Fran wrote: "I have a Harlequin I picked up from a used book sale- Primal Instincts (Harlequin Blaze #378) that has a photojournalist and an anthropologist as the two main characters..."

Great, thanks Kristi!

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments Could I read Einstein: His Life and Universe for this task?

message 37: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Could I read Einstein: His Life and Universe for this task?"

No, sorry. The task is to read a novel featuring a scientist. This book appears to be nonfiction.

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments Yea, that's why I was double-checking. Thanks Kristi!

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments How about Deception Point?

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kathryn wrote: "How about Deception Point?"

One of the reviews says "Rachel Sexton joins a group of scientists" and it sounds like the book follows that team of scientists after its initial set-up in Washington so, yes, it will work.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "How about Deception Point?"

One of the reviews says "Rachel Sexton joins a group of scientists" and it sounds like the book follows that team of scientists after its ini..."

Oh yeah it will totally worh, I LOVE that book! it's so good I read the whole thing in 3 days. Could not put it down.

message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Good to know. I have it on my bookshelf, too, but I'd forgotten about it. I just added it to my list when Kathryn mentioned it... ;o).

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I have read it before but that was like five years ago so I really wanted to re-read it. I couldn't remember if it would work so thanks for the "okay". I do remember really liking it so if you can read it, Kristi, you should!

message 44: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlajones) | 94 comments Would The Andromeda Strain work?

message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Carla wrote: "Would The Andromeda Strain work?"

Yes. Great book, too, by the way.

message 46: by Kristina Simon (new)

I've started a Lab Lit list. Feel free to add the books you've found for this task (especially as you read them and find them enjoyable) as well as books you've read that have particularly realistic science in them.

As with all Goodreads lists, however, be careful when choosing a book from a list for a SRC task. This list in particular has a broader definition than this task and may contain books that do not have a scientist in a major role. So double check to make sure the book you choose really fits the task before you read it.

message 47: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Does Revolution work for this task? From the description it doesn't look like it, but I already saw it on the Lab Lit list.

message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Does Revolution work for this task? From the description it doesn't look like it, but I already saw it on the Lab Lit list."

No, it won't work. That's what I mean about being careful with the lists. Since anyone can add any book, you sometimes get some strange additions. I don't see any mention of a scientists. I can't even tell how science in general plays a role in this one...

message 49: by Lahni (last edited Feb 24, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "Does Revolution work for this task? From the description it doesn't look like it, but I already saw it on the Lab Lit list."

No, it won't work. That's what I mean ..."

Kristi - I added it. The main character's dad is a scientist. He won the Nobel prize for his DNA work and that is why they go to Paris. He is doing DNA work there that is directly related to the journal Andi finds. While he is not the main character, he is a significant character to the story. Will you reconsider?

message 50: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments I second the inclusion of Revolution. I found the genetic testing of the heart thought to be the dauphin's was fascinating and her father's Nobel winning status and estrangement played a big part in the story, too. I was just reading reviews to double check my facts before I posted and came back to find Lahni's explanation here.

« previous 1 3