Ms. Wieder's Humanities Crew discussion

Assignments > Conflict and Misunderstanding in Your Book

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Wieder (last edited Feb 18, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Ms. Wieder (mswieder) | 66 comments Mod
We have been learning about intolerance based on religion and how religion shapes some people's lives. Some of the conflicts we have been looking at are the results of people not understanding each other. Respond to one of the following prompts about the book you are reading:

1) Start with the basic information: what book are you reading? Who's the author? What's a basic summary of what it's about? How are into it are you?

2) Are there any conflicts in your book like the ones we have been discussing? It doesn't have to be about religion or even prejudice. Think about when people misunderstand each other, act out of ignorance or hate, or get their facts mixed up. Almost every book has some misunderstandings! How serious are the ones in your book? Do they lead to conflict? Write!

2) Describe the main character's belief system. What do they think is right and wrong? What do they believe in? Are they religious? Do they have any strongly held beliefs about their fellow human beings? They have ethics just like us - tell me about them!

Remember - 150 words, same norms as class, and have fun!

ALL POSTS DUE BY TUESDAY, 2/22 at 8AM.

message 2: by Ms. Wieder (new)

1) My book is Just Kids, by Patti Smith. It's a memoir about Patti Smith-- a rock singer and artist who's been making music and art since the 1960s-- and her life with her lover, Robert Mapplethorpe, who was also an artist. I'm about 150 pages into it.

2) The main conflict that's come up in the book so far is that Robert Mapplethorpe's parents don't accept him or Patti because they don't have the same ethical beliefs or lifestyle. Patti and Robert are living a wild, unconventional artists' life: they have an "open" relationship, they're experimenting with drugs, and they're living together without getting married. Robert's parents are very conservative and religious, and they don't approve of Patti and Robert's relationship because they feel it's wrong (unethical) to for them to live together without being married. They don't know about Robert's drug use, but obviously they wouldn't approve of that, either!

2) Patti's belief system centers around expressing her emotions and her view of the world through music and art. She doesn't have a strong religious background, but she does seem to have a focus on ethical beliefs such as being kind to and generous with the people in her life. She seems to believe in the goodness of people, which I think is a really wonderful quality.

message 3: by Fedor (last edited Feb 18, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

Fedor Garmatyuk | 11 comments FIRST!

1) Im reading "Runemarks" by Joanne Harris. This book is about Norse gods and magic. Basically the Norse gods have lost the Ragnarök war so they have to go into hiding against the "Order". At first I didn't like this book at all but the second i heard the name Loki, i started enjoying it. Im 263 pages in, by the way.

2) Well technically there is religious intolerance in my book. (In a weird way.)As i have already stated, the "Order" is trying to wipe out the Norse gods, and they don't take too kindly to supporters. Its kind of like the holocaust where one group of people tried to completely eliminate all traces of a different group.

3) The main character's (Maddy Smith)belief system isn't too clear through the story. After all her views on the world change vastly, first she finds the gods are still alive, then she finds an oracle (and the truth about the "Order", and now she finds out that she is a god as well! During the book, though, she shows that she cares about everyone (even Loki, who betrayed her at least once). She also shows that she is against killing because even when her enemies are downed and she should just finish them, she spares them.

Jonah or Jonahmus Jackson Prime | 9 comments 1)I'm reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian, its written by Rick Riordon, its about a boy who is half human and half god a.k.a. demigod, and his father is Poseidon: God of the seas and earthquake, and he was chosen to defeat Kronos and his army, but the gods and the godesses are thinking about if he could be destroyed or left alive, but he couldn't wait until his sixteenth birthday. I'm really interested into this book because I heard that everyone said that it's the best book.
2)Well, theres some people wanted Percy to help them to destroy Kronos, but they think he might become bad or something like that, and I don't know when the love interest shows up between Percy and Annabeth, Annabeth seems to be the serious one, but she does has some love interest about Percy.
3)they're all white, they look like children from high school, they carried somtimes a pen or a knife.They believe in their parents and the other god/godess and myth creatures. They think its wrong to destroy Percy, besides they might need him. All they believeis Percy will save the world.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Bely | 10 comments SECOND OMG!
1)My book is called Detective Stories chosen by Philip Pullman. It is basically bunch of detective stories pulled together. It's pretty fun to read about the different cases, I enjoy reading it on and off.
2)Well it's hard to talk about it because there are a lot of different stories with different conflicts in them. But in most, it is usually the suspect trying to hide information from the detective or some people trying to kill the detective. I don't know if you can call this a conflict, but the detective having problems finding the clues could be one.
3)Well,again it's hard to talk about this but I guess the detectives believe in truth.They probably think that hiding information is bad. They don't like people who talk mysteriously and try to hide information.

message 6: by Elis (new)

Elis Aguilar | 7 comments 1)My book Is Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I'm almost done with it. It's about a boy who tries to kill himself so he ends up in a psychiatric hospital. At first he denies he's crazy and he dislikes all the other kids in there, but as he stays longer he starts to realize that they're all the same and befriends a couple of them.

2) In the book one of the teenage boys in the hospital kind of um... "hits on" the main character, who is also a boy. The main character is confused because he's not sure if he's straight or gay. So he talks to the other boy about it and the other boy completely denies whatever it was that happened. The main character is like "WTF???"
Then there's a GIRL that the main character is kinda close to, and she gets mixed up because she originally thought the main character was interested in HER... It's kinda dramatic, for a mental hospital. The problems aren't very serious until the girl kills herself. :(

3) He believes he's not crazy, and that he didn't try to KILL himself. He thinks he's just bored and that he did it out of boredom, which isn't really a belief system, but what I can take out of that is that he can do things spontaneously and they aren't his fault. (The verb tense on that sentence was a bit shaky... Sorry)

message 7: by Till (new)

Till (TillKallem) | 12 comments 1) I am reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It is about a girl named Stargirl who starts high school but she is very strange. She roots for everybody, cheers when a person picks up trash, give everyone treats on holidays, and is completely accepting and loves everybody. She even seems to have memorized everyone's birthday and she will play her Ukulele at lunch and sing happy birthday to these complete strangers and she comes to school in long skirts with a different theme everyday. Of course people are not accepting of her. The book is from the perspective of a boy named Leo.

2) There are definitely conflicts in the book. Leo helps run a school show called Hot Seat, and disaster strikes when they invite Stargirl to the show. The jury immediately shout insults at her because she carries around a pet rat and cheers when the other team scores on the field. They call her stupid and weird because of everything she does, even though she only wants to be nice to everyone. The people in the school act out of hate because they don't understand her, and they try to bang her in like a faulty nail. People are definitely prejudice against Stargirl because of who she is and the way she acts, although she had done nothing to hurt others.

3) Leo, the main character, struggles with his morals. He doesn't want to hurt Stargirl, but he also doesn't want people to think that he is "weird" like her. He also has to fit in with his peers, and they all watch Stargirl from a distance as to not get involved in hurting her or or getting hurt. Leo isn't religious, and he is pretty ordinary. At this point in the novel, I can tell that he wants to do something so that she isn't hurt anymore; he wants to stand up for her to make things right. But he finds that he doesn't want to risk his own safety for her because he doesn't really know her. In this way, he has good morals but they are hidden because he also wants to fit in with everyone else and avoid being put in the spotlight.

message 8: by Guston (new)

Guston Cole | 9 comments 1) i am reading Catching Fire by Suzan Collins, it is the second book in the Hunger Games series. its about a girl who is a winner of The Hunger Games but she has to go back into the hunger games to compete against other winners. im really into it im on page 244.

2) there is a major conflict in my book. the Capitol (government) is in brutal control of 12 districts and they start rebeling against the Capitol because in the last Hunger Games because Katniss defied them. there is no misunderstanding in this book though, the Capitol is mean on purpose.

3)the main character, Katniss has very kind ethics, for example she used to be poor but then she won money from the Hunger Games and now she gives food to the poor.Katniss is not religous.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie | 10 comments 1) Right now, the book I'm reading is Skunk girl by: Sheba Karim. I started the book a few days ago so I'm not that far in the book. I'm not really into the book, but it's not really that boring either.

2) In my book, it's mainly about the parents not allowing the teenage girl, who is going through changes, do what everyone is doing now. She gets banned from going to parties, dating. talking to boys, and all the stuff that everyone else is doing. Her mom says it's for her own safety or whatever, but she looks at it as if it is just unfair.

3)I know her whole family has a religion because they believe in the things, but I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I think they are a Muslim family. She thought that she should be able to have more experiences and gain more freedom since she has more responsibility, but instead she gets less because her parents say that they do this for her own good.

message 10: by Dante (new)

Dante (dantedilallo) | 10 comments 1) I am reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, and basically the book is about saving Vatican City, and all its inhabitance. Well I am done with the book, and I thought it was really good.
2) There is a big conflict, and it is started by a slight misunderstanding, which leads to death.
2) The main character is not religious and does not know what to really believe, but knows that what is being done is wrong.

message 11: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo Altamirano | 10 comments 1)I am reading The Da Vinci Legacy by Lewis Perdue. The main problem right now is something very different than what we have been learning. Right now we mostly that a group of scholars have read something that other group wants to keep quiet about and have been killing does scholars in order to do so, the next on there is list is the main character. So far I have read 114 of 385.

2)My book has a lot of conflict that he would have to face through the book. Ones that are that a hero would have to face, fight the bad guy and won like the good guys do, but in doing that he would have to found out a number of things before. In this book many things lead to conflict.

3)No my ma character is not religious or so far he has not said so. he believes in doing what is right and not what is wrong, he stands for what he fights for.Cares for the people around him,believes in what he does, is a well know scholar, person.

message 12: by Iyanna (new)

Iyanna | 6 comments 1)Im Reading Drama High:frememies by L.divine ,and its about some girls who WERE best friends but throughout the book they have driven apart nellie has accomlished some thigs while being in high school , but jayd has also grown apart and has been hanging with a new group of girls , and now its just alot of drama.

2) well , not really but kinda , the girls dont really understand each other because of the decision's they are making now that they are growing up, they are slowly braking apart and going on their own .

2) well , because i just switched book's saturday i havent really got to know the characters well , but so far teir has been no religous actions .

Frenemies (Drama High, #4) by L. Divine

message 13: by Jose (new)

Jose estrela | 2 comments im reading the book called Touch by Elmore Leonard. the book is mostly about mystery,sex and guns. and i havent had much time to read it sso im not that familiar with the characters.

The main conflict is mystery, because Juvenal restored a blind women's sight with the touch of his hand to her forehead. so now the people are wondering how he was able to do what he had done and wanr to use his power for there own benefits.

Still havent got into details in the chapter im in which is two

message 14: by Sammie (new)

Sammie | 10 comments 1) I'm reading It by Stephen King. The main plot is about a few select children in the town of Derry who are each individually haunted by a clown, later on in the book... the children are now adults that all come back to defeat the clown, who for some odd reason... came back to murder other children, who has haunted their hometown. I'm pretty far into this book, and I really like all the murder and suicide that's going on in it.

2) The conflict is pretty serious. The clown(aka, Pennywise) is still killing children after the main characters all grow up. So now all of them have to come back together to get rid of Pennywise.

3) The main character(s) aren't religious and most of them believe that humanity will be taken over by Pennywise unless they stop him.

message 15: by Rae (new)

Rae Enriquez (raenriquez) | 8 comments 1)As of now, I'm reading Night Shift by Stephen King, and it's a compilations of short horror stories, each one differing from it's predecessor.

2)At this point of the book, there aren't any conflicts yet, although in this case, I'd be assuming that most of the conflict in this book would stem from fear. However, no conflicts have started yet.

3)At this point, the character in the story I'm reading right now doesn't exactly display his ethics or religious beliefs very clearly. This may be mostly because he's communicating through letters to another person, but I may be assuming he believes some of the forces going on may very well be demonic to an extent. However nothing else entails of his ethical or religious beliefs.

message 16: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 7 comments i am reading lost souls by dean koonts. basically its about frankenstein. he saw his master die centuries ago and now he thinks hes alive and makeing new coppies of people to replace real people in the world so he teams up with some friends to stop the dr. i really like this book so far ever though im not very far in. in this book frenkenstein likes to go to church and hang out with a priest to discuss things but other then that the conflicks are pretty different. the main character believes that even though he was not born but manufactured that all humans deserve to live. he thinks the makeing of creatures out of body parts is wrong. he doesnt neccesarily believe in god but likes the feel of church and a priest who had a life of crime trying to reedeem himself.

message 17: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Sobal (mexican_jamaican) | 5 comments 1)i am reading angry black white boy by adam mansbach. it is about a jewish new york taxi driver who is a strong follower of the hip hop culture. a few weeks into his job and college classes he starts robbing white passengers. on the news the victims say the robber is black when they never even saw his face. when the main character, macon, come out and tells the thruth that he is the robber, he comes up with the day of apology. Which is specifically for white people to apologize to black people for all the mistakes made in the past 500 years. i am very into this book and can understand a lot of what is happening.
2) this book is all about conflicts. there are racial, religious, sexist conflicts from what i have read. the fact that people believe that a black man is robbing them and have no face or even skin color identification is just racist and wrong.
3)the main character, macon detornay, has very good intentions and very agressive way of getting his message through. people need to see that not every robber is black and that not every victim is white.

message 18: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Wow-- all it took was the name Loki? Tell me more!

Fedor wrote: "FIRST!

1) Im reading "Runemarks" by Joanne Harris. This book is about Norse gods and magic. Basically the Norse gods have lost the Ragnarök war so they have to go into hiding against the "Order". ..."

message 19: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Sounds like a juicy love triangle!

Jonah wrote: "1)I'm reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian, its written by Rick Riordon, its about a boy who is half human and half god a.k.a. demigod, and his father is Poseidon: God of the ..."

message 20: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Yep, it's definitely a conflict if they're trying to kill him. I'm interested in his believing in "truth," especially given all the talking we've done about truth lately. What is the truth, to him?

Mark wrote: "SECOND OMG!
1)My book is called Detective Stories chosen by Philip Pullman. It is basically bunch of detective stories pulled together. It's pretty fun to read about the different cases, I enjoy re..."

message 21: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Now I'm curious, too! What is it about these books? Tell us when you find out.

Marcelo wrote: "1 I am reading the shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz zafon. I have not read that much of the book yet but so far so good. It's about a boy who finds a book that he really likes. He wants to find mo..."

message 22: by Ms. Wieder (new)

...Because mental hospitals aren't usually dramatic?

It sounds very "Girl, Interrupted" to me. Is the central conflict about the boy figuring out who he really is?

Elis wrote: "1)My book Is Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I'm almost done with it. It's about a boy who tries to kill himself so he ends up in a psychiatric hospital. At first he denies he's crazy and he ..."

message 23: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Oooh, this really relates to our unit on ethics! Any predictions about what Leo will do, ultimately?

Till wrote: "1) I am reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It is about a girl named Stargirl who starts high school but she is very strange. She roots for everybody, cheers when a person picks up trash, give ever..."

message 24: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Wow-- you're flying through these books! What do you think the author is trying to tell us about how we should live?

Guston wrote: "1) i am reading Catching Fire by Suzan Collins, it is the second book in the Hunger Games series. its about a girl who is a winner of The Hunger Games but she has to go back into the hunger games t..."

message 25: by Ms. Wieder (new)

This is so short and vague that you've really got me on the edge of my seat! Please explain your ideas more next time.

Dante wrote: "1) I am reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, and basically the book is about saving Vatican City, and all its inhabitance. Well I am done with the book, and I thought it was really good.
2) There ..."

message 26: by Ms. Wieder (new)

...but it does sound like that book is filled with conflict. What's at the root of the conflict between the friends? Why are they growing apart?

Iyanna wrote: "1)Im Reading Drama High:frememies by L.divine ,and its about some girls who WERE best friends but throughout the book they have driven apart nellie has accomlished some thigs while being in high sc..."

message 27: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Are you into this book? Is it a good choice for you? Your entry is a little short, so I can't tell.

Jose wrote: "im reading the book called Touch by Elmore Leonard. the book is mostly about mystery,sex and guns. and i havent had much time to read it sso im not that familiar with the characters.

The main con..."

message 28: by Ms. Wieder (new)

So is there a message or lesson the reader is supposed to get about how to deal with evil in the world?

Sammie wrote: "1) I'm reading It by Stephen King. The main plot is about a few select children in the town of Derry who are each individually haunted by a clown, later on in the book... the children are now adult..."

message 29: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Could the author be sending a message about his ethics by what happens to the characters in the stories?

Rae wrote: "1)As of now, I'm reading Night Shift by Stephen King, and it's a compilations of short horror stories, each one differing from it's predecessor.

2)At this point of the book, there aren't any con..."

message 30: by Ms. Wieder (new)

So this has a TON to do with our unit, huh?! Sounds really interesting. Have you read the original Frankenstein? It could be a good next book for you....

Miguel wrote: "i am reading lost souls by dean koonts. basically its about frankenstein. he saw his master die centuries ago and now he thinks hes alive and makeing new coppies of people to replace real people in..."

message 31: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Sounds original and relevant. What do you make of the title?

Oscar wrote: "1)i am reading angry black white boy by adam mansbach. it is about a jewish new york taxi driver who is a strong follower of the hip hop culture. a few weeks into his job and college classes he sta..."

message 32: by Ramon (new)

Ramon Gomez | 8 comments Im am reading Final Target by Iris Johansen. So far it's a really good book. It's starts with an attempted kidnapping. Twists and things you wouldn't expected. It's a suspense book, so i'm looking forward to see what happens later on in the book.

Well so far it isn't apparent what the conflict is exactly. In the beginning this girl is running away from people who broke in to her house. They killed her secret service agents. She ran into a room with her nanny i believe, only too find out that the nanny was in on the operation. Then some other things happened. I don't want to give it away.

As i said im not really far into the book, so their beliefs or ideas haven't been introduced yet. But so far the book has talked about Cassie Andreas. She is the president's daughter. She witnessed her secret service agents (that were supposed to take care of her) murdered. She also saw a person she thought she was close too murdered as well. That's about it. As i read more you (Goodreads) will be the first to know.

message 33: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Yikes! Sounds too scary for Ms. Wieder-- or for anyone scared of the dark:)

Ramon wrote: "Im am reading Final Target by Iris Johansen. So far it's a really good book. It's starts with an attempted kidnapping. Twists and things you wouldn't expected. It's a suspense book, so i'm looking ..."

message 34: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Chue-wong | 10 comments I am reading Warren Buffett and the interpretation of financial statements by Mary Buffett and David Clark. This book talks about how Warren Buffett came to be and what choices he made to become who he is today. I'm enjoying the book, and it is very interesting. But I can't read a lot of it at on time because there is so much information to soak in.

There are no conflicts in my book that we have discussed in school. One part in the book talks about how people misunderstood Warren because of his radical investment schemes, but once he became successful no one misunderstood him. It also sort of talks about how greed can be a downfall or how employers should pay their employees well because happy employees equal strive for success, but that’s all.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason Patino | 7 comments 1) The book I'm reading is called The Zombie Survival Guide.The Author is Max Brooks.A basic summary to my book is that its survival guide on how to survive a zombie apocalypse. There are no characters in the story its just one man explaining it.

2) There are no conflicts maybe besides the zombie apocalypse.There are no conflicts involving religion.There are no problems in my book.

2) There is no main character in my book.

message 36: by Jose (new)

Jose Quezada | 8 comments 1) I am reading Monster by Walter Dean Myers. Well to be honest, i haven't really started to read the book. Witch i know i need to get to that. But all i know, is that this story is written by a guy in jail.

2) His in jail. And it looks like his going to have a court date, hoping that his going to win. But from the looks of it, theres a dim chance that he will.

3) Main character is Steve. Looks like, he got him self into a situation. Thats why his in jail. Religious? I don't think so.

I promise that i will get to reading! ASAP!

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments 1.I am reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. This book talks about the main character Charlie, who has an average IQ of 70, which is consider a low IQ score. For this reason, the scientists decide to test out if they can increase his intelligence by undergoing a surgery. Luckily, it works. I can see the improvements Charlie makes by reading the novel, not only that Charlie improves his writing skills but he also uses his critical thinking to help solve his problems both in his experiment and his daily life. I think that the chapter I am reading now is quite interesting because I can see how Charlie can solve problems that scientists are trying to figure out; this shows that he is almost as smart as or maybe smarter than a scientist is.

2.In this case, I think that the main character is causing an internal conflict because he has to deal with his growth of intelligence. His improvement causes struggle for many people because he cannot control his anger towards the others. In addition, he begins to solve his problem that the scientists are trying to figure it out. This leads to a problem on communicating with other people.

3.The character does not have any religious beliefs. However, he thinks that what he is doing is right because he becomes smarter than other people do. He now has more confidence because of his intelligence. He is trying to show others his ability to solve problems. He does not really look down on people but he is trying to show other people how he can do impressive things that he cannot do before the surgery.

message 38: by Zane (new)

Zane Buck | 5 comments 1.I am currently reading "why dogs eat poop by Francesca Could and david Haviland. This book is pretty much about random facts about animals. I certainly get a laugh out of some parts.

2. There do not appear to be any conflicts in this book from what I've read. It's just mainly facts about animals unless there is a part I haven't got to about animal conflicts.

3.I am unaware of ANY animals that believe in a religion. I suppose they believe in what they must do to survive/young survive. I also have no idea what animals think of us since I have never been in their shoes before.

message 39: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Guardado | 7 comments I am reading The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. I just started reading it today. But from what I can tell so far, it's about a group of people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. The main conflict is between the zombies and humans. The zombies are trying to eat the humans and the humans are trying to survive. Since I just started reading today, I haven't come across many conflicts yet. As far as I know, the main character, or any other characters, aren't religious. They are all just trying to survive and keep each other alive. Hopefully I'll read more tonight and I'll get to know the characters more.

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Legaspi | 10 comments Well I am reading "Heat" by Mike Lupica. One conflict currently happening in this book is that the main character's father has a big dream for him and keeps reminding him of what it is. The main character though has his own dream. He doesnt want to hurt his father and so he goes along with his father. nSo far i cant tell if the characters are religious but the main character shows that it is better to follow your elders than doing what you wish to do.

message 41: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Mendoza | 9 comments I'm reading Push by sapphire. Its about this African American girl named Precious who has her dads babies. She isnt getting a good education and is not being treated right by her mom and the people in her neighborhood. Luckily she was offered to go to school were others girls have the same issues as her and will help her have a better future. I havent been having problems reading the book. But because Precious didnt have a good education she cant write or read. When I'm reading i try to understand what she writes.I think there has been misunderstanding in this book because Precious got kicked out of school because she was pregnant.And because she got pregnant at a very very young age(14 years old) people are treating her bad and disrespecting her. Her mom treats her horrible and calls her really mean names and abuses her. This conflict is BIG! because shes trying to get an education and start a career but he mom and her kids are in the way. She has so many problems!!!!!! The other main characters in the book are her mom, her teacher, the other students in the class and her
kids. They interfere in the book because Precious lives with her mom,and the teacher is the only one who really understands her and cares of her.Precious teacher really understands and really tries to help her.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate Shrayber (kateshrayber) | 12 comments I am reading Glass by Ellen Hopkins. This book is about Kristina's, the main character, up and down whirlwind romance with the monster,meth. I am really into this book.

2) The main conflict in this story is Kristina and her addicition with meth. She has a a new born baby son and she thinks she can control it, but she can't. This whole books o far has been about her trying to control the meth monster raging inside of her and being a mother and still being a normal eighteen year old.

2) She is somewhat religious, she tries to go to church and baptizes her baby. She knows wrong from right. for example she knows she needs to get a job and clean her act up and be a good mother but she doesnt follow her ethics.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily (EmilyDuong) | 10 comments 1) I'm reading Pretty Little Liars : Perfect by Sara Shepard. So far, this book is basicly about 4 teenage girls who keeps receiving personal blackmailing text messages from an anonymous person. They were friends before, and now they have split apart after one of their friend's death.
2)Some conflicts in my book are just some basic typical teenage girl conflicts, one girl's boyfriend got "stolen" by her friend. Some other conflicts are that these four best friends have to deal with blackmailing text messages that supposely are secrets that only one person knew, and that person is dead already. They don't know how to deal with it and none of the best friends told each other about the messages so they don't handle it together yet.

2) Well, all the main characters seem to believe in blackmail. They actually let the anonymous sender threaten them and they don't do what they believe it right, so they just go with it. They don't go tell the police because they are scared their secrets will get out, and be heard by people that they don't want to hear.

message 44: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Wu | 9 comments 1) Right now, I am still reading MiddleSex by Jeffrey Eugenides. The book is about a woman or man, depending on how they look at themselves in the time they are in. She/He is confused, and to get a clearer view of who they are, they look back at their family's history. I am definitely getting more into it because there has been more drama and interesting twists.

2) Their is definitely conflict with sexuality and gender, but also family siblings. More than one of the main characters finds themselves in love with a sibling, and this is definitely hard for themselves and their other family. When one of the women becomes pregnant with her brother's baby, she is worried that the baby will be 'deformed' or a monster in some way. This makes a gap between their relationship.

3) For the narrator, the main character, she is in a confused state of being. Because of that I don't think that she is really aware of what she truly believes in or has even thought of what her ethics were. At this time in my book she hasn't given information about her beliefs at all. However, when she tells her family's history of coming to America from Greece, she explains some of the new things they faced and what her family believed. Such as, well, not being in a relationship with your sibling. That doesn't really work out too well.

message 45: by Daniel (last edited Feb 22, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Daniel Abrams (danielabramsyessiriy) | 7 comments 1) the whipping boy by Sid Fleischman, so far it's pretty good, the too boys are being taken by thieves for ransom
2) in my book two boys ones a whipping boy and the other is a price run away together but get taken for hostage by two well known thieves? they think the prince can write letters for them because he's rich and they supposedly learn to read and write since birth. the thieves believe that because he is the prince the king an queen will pay high money for his return.
2) the prince thinks that people have to do everything for him and is very ignorant. The whipping boy is a very simple person and doesn't have to life with expensive things to live out your life
sorry this was late, my internet went out

message 46: by Marco (new)

Marco Fung 1)i am reading "The Outsiders" by SE Hinton. its about a gang of kids that enjoy messing around in their environment. i am pretty into the book right now, because i can see some violence in it already.
2)The conflict in this book is the fight between 2 groups of people called the greasers and the socs. they fight to waste time and they enjoy fighting. The brothers in the book try to defeat the socs and stop them from disrupting their territory in the book.
2) the character in the book is not very religious but he is a person that believes in karma.he believes in this because once he was beaten and he wanted to have revenge on the person.