The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hi everyone!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) Hello Everyone. My name is She'Davia. I'm 16, and I LOVE to read. I am always reading and book, and cant go anyone without a book in my bag. I joined this group yesterday, and so far it seems pretty cool.

message 2: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Hello and welcome!!

message 3: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments Welcome, She'Davia.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Hey there, and welcome!!! I too carry a book just about everywhere I go, you never know when you might catch a few minutes to read!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi She'Davia, this is a great group. Book lovers united!

message 6: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments Welcome to the group, She'Davia!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, She'Davia.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Hi and welcome She'Davia.

I take a book everywhere with me too - in my bag to the supermarket, in the car (I have been known to read at traffic lights before now) - you just never know when you can grab 5 minutes.

message 9: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) thanks for the warm welcome everyone

message 10: by Sharee (new)

Sharee | 53 comments Welcome to the land of sanity in a mostly insane world! It's great that you read so much! When I was sixteen I usually got so into my books that I'd go into the bathroom and read until 3 a.m.! ...Yeah, that was when my dad would yell through the bathroom door at me to put the book down - how on earth he knew I was pulling another reading all-nighter on a school night is beyond me - and go to bed! hee hee! There's a fond memory!! Hooray for bookworms!!! Three cheers!!!

message 11: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) Hi and welcome from another newbie!

message 12: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) Sharee my friends parents do that to me all the time. Its will be like 2 in the morning when m friends dad is about to leave for work and he'll just look at me and say "dont you think you should be going to bed now". And its just like "umm...I'm reading, I will soon". Especially when your at the beginning or end of a book. Its so hard to put it down to go to bed. I dont know what I'm going to do when school starts back up.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry She'Davia,as a book lover you couldn't have picked a better group to support you in your love of reading.Welcome to the group.

message 14: by Sharee (new)

Sharee | 53 comments Good luck on THAT one, She'Davia! I can imagine that your "I will soon" means that you will before sunrise sometime, am I right?? :) Just be wary of books that are especially captivating during the school year. Like, oh, say, The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer! They're like my Achilles Heel, I swear! I started reading Twilight at 10 p.m. - yeah, starting that late was ruddy brilliant - and couldn't put it down until I had finished the whole bloomin' thing at 7 a.m. the next morning! Booooy did I suffer the next day! But at least it wasn't from wondering what would happen next! Ha ha!!

message 15: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Heyyy! Welcome to TNBBC!!
I def know what it's like to always have a book in the bag, my purse is the size where it fits a big thick book quite comfortably. Clearly it's not to carry my money and credit cards, its for the carrying of my books :-)

message 16: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) haha. I carry around this HUGE canvas bag, that I use for books, makeup, and my knitting. People my age are like "She'Davia...what are you doing?!"

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy She'Davia, I have been crocheting since I was nine and remember people my age looking at me funny. :)

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments She'Davia, it's so nice to see a teenager so addicted to reading. You need to come over and teach my kids, especially my 7 year old, a lesson!

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments She'Davia, you knit too? You are a dream child! Do any of your friends knit and love to read as much as you?

message 20: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) Beth, none of my friends like to knit. But the majority of them LOVE to read.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments Well, She'Davia, at least your friends like to read. That's awesome. I really do love to hear about kids who love reading!

message 22: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments She'Davia, sorry I'm late in adding my welcome! I'm also glad whenever I meet an avid reader in someone your age. Glad you're here!

message 23: by Sharee (new)

Sharee | 53 comments I can't knit worth a darn! Ah ha haa! (Pun totally intended!) Of course, I've never tried, so I couldn't be sure! But I did find some old ladies that taught me to crochet! Soo... did you learn to knit from a book?? :)

message 24: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) no, I learned to crochet when I was 8, and then In July my friends aunt taught me how to knit and I've been obsessed with it ever since.

message 25: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I also learned to crochet at a young age but I can't get the two needle thing together to knit.

Welcome!

message 26: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments I can knit but only when it's winter...I can't stand the yarn touching me when it's hot!!

message 27: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I have the same problem, April. That's why I like to crochet doilies during the summer months.

message 28: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments Ok, NOW I have to learn to crochet.

Can I do that and read at the same time?

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I learned how to crochet from my mom. I tried learning to knit from books. I even brought "Idiots Guide: Crocheting and Knitting for Dummies". I must be on the level below idiot and dummy when it comes to knitting because I never got it =/

message 30: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) I think that its IMPOSSIBLE to learn how to knit from books.

And April...I wish that it was possible to knit and read at the same time, maybe then I would get more knitting done :)

message 31: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments I'm sure we can come up with some device to hold the book...maybe a miner's hat, and instead of the light we could attach a bracket that would hold the book? Whaddya think?

message 32: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments April, you're a genius. I want something like that so I can read while I walk my dog. Normally when I walk places I just hold the book, but the dog requires at least one hand free and when he chases things I tend to drop the book. A miner's hat could definitely work.

message 33: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments Plus, if you walk into something while you're walking/reading, the hard hat will protect your head!

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Jackie, I bought that same book (Idiots Guide) about five years ago. Try as I might, I never got it either. I have been filled with shame at being "an idiot" about this since giving up, but it makes me feel a bit better knowing someone else couldn't get it either. :)

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) That's great...well not great because we still can't knit, but at least I don't feel so bad for not getting it and quitting. LOL. =)

I found a knitting class at the community center which I may sign up for if I ever find the time. I think I just need hands on training.

message 36: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Hello everyone!

I just joined this group today...

Is it too soon to make a list? If not, is there a thread about coming-of-age novels? I don't want to steal anyone's thunder...

message 37: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Belinda, go for it. I have a huge soft spot for bildungsromans and would like to hear your favorites.

message 38: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Thanks, Logan! I posted it under the Lists section...I hope that's okay.

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Belinda,

Welcome to the funhouse for readers. Images in the mirror may appear (and are) closer. This place and these people are amazing. Enjoy!

message 40: by She'Davia (new)

She'Davia Williams (redsoxocd) I say that someone here, goes ahead and invents that miners hat/bookholder. It would do so much good in the world, lol :)