Chicks On Lit discussion

Regine's Goal: 100 Books for 2011

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regine (last edited Feb 18, 2011 06:16AM) (new)

Regine So my goal for the new year is to read 100 Books! Unfortunately I'm off to a slow start because I didn't read for 3 weeks when I was on vacation-- too busy exploring a new city and sitting on the beach!

Here are my reads for 2011 so far:

1) Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie

This is the sequel to Haroun and the Sea of Stories. 4/5 stars. Great dose of fantasy, and the family dynamic between the characters is so heart felt.

2) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
3/5 stars. Ken Kesey's writing was superb, and the battle between Nurse Ratched and McMurphy kept me on the edge of my seat. However, I didn't like the misogynist message in the book.

message 2: by Regine (last edited Feb 18, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Regine 3) Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories by Washington Irving
3/5 stars. Good collection of spooky stories, appropriate for all ages. However, I quite prefer Tim Burton's adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow over the original.

message 3: by Regine (new)

Regine 4) Emma by Jane Austen

5/5 stars! Possibly my 2nd favourite Austen book. Emma is Jane Austen's most colourful heroine. This has a great balance of humour, romance, and of course a little bit of social commentary. I'll be writing a full review on this later on :)

message 4: by Regine (new)

Regine 5) Howl's Moving Castle (Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

4/5 stars. Such a beautiful, imaginative book. It is written for children, but I couldn't help but feel a little bit of nostalgia as I was reading it. There's an exciting array of characters. Definitely a book that both children and adults can appreciate.

message 5: by Regine (new)

Regine 6) Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

4/5 stars. This is a really well-done graphic novel. The author, Artie Spiegelman, writes about his father, a survivor of Auschwitz. I couldn't put it down, and I read it in just over an hour. The black and white illustrations really set the somber mood for Hitler's Europe.

message 6: by Regine (new)

Regine 7) Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

2/5 stars. This satirical work was comical and terse. However, I wasn't a fan of the main character. Even though he lived through so many profound moments, he remains nonchalant throughout the entire novel. I also felt that the science fiction was a little boring and over-the-top.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 138 comments Regine wrote: "6)Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

4/5 stars. This is a really well-done graphic novel. The author, Artie Spiegelman, writes about his father, a survivor of ..."

Ooo...I've always wanted to read this book but I kept forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder :)

GL on your goal as well :D!

message 8: by Jada (new)

Jada Marie (Jadamarie) | 4 comments Howl's Moving Castle... I've wanted to read that too!

message 9: by Regine (new)

Regine Ladies, don't skip over these books! They're worthwhile reads!

message 10: by Regine (new)

Regine 8) The Wars by Timothy Findley

5/5 stars. What an emotional roller-coaster. Great piece of antiwar literature (Canadian too!). You fall in love with the protagonist. The plot and character development is just superb.

message 11: by Regine (last edited Mar 21, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Regine 9) Skim by Mariko Tamaki

3/5 stars. Another angsty graphic novel. Beautifully drawn.

message 12: by Regine (new)

Regine 10) A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings (Collected Stories of Gabriel Garcia Marques) by Gabriel García Márquez

3/5 stars. Good short story. It's about an average family that finds the Angel of Death in their backyard. However, the angel isn't the miracle that the people in the small town were praying for. Actually, if you've ever seen the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa finds an angel, the stories play out quite the same.

This reaffirms my theory, "If it's out there, then there's a Simpsons episode of it".

message 13: by Regine (new)

Regine 11) Oedipus Rex (Theban Play, #2) by Sophocles

3/5 stars. I've always loved mythology, and quite enjoyed this.

message 14: by Regine (new)

Regine 12) The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

5/5 stars. Oscar Wilde's fast paced dialgoue is so entertaining. The Importance of Being Earnest portrays the decadence of the aesthetic movement without going into in-depth descriptions of flowers or tapestries. This is a very light and indulgent read.

message 15: by Regine (last edited Apr 05, 2011 08:10PM) (new)

Regine 13) Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez

4/5 stars. Small book that packs a mighty punch.As always, Marquez brings magic into every-day life, and provides us with beautifully drawn characters. This would be a great introduction to GGM for people that have never read any of his books.

message 16: by Regine (new)

Regine 14) The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

5/5 stars. Excellent, excellent book. This book has everything: comedy, murder, romance, and the devil. Of course, all of this is set in the political backdrop of Stalinist Moscow. Funny, profound, and entertaining.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

i have this goal to im only up to 13 :D
good luck

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 291 comments Regine wrote: "13)Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez

4/5 stars. Small book that packs a mighty punch.As always, Marquez brings magic into every-day life, and provides us with beautifully drawn cha..."

Oh man. This book is amazing. It makes one think about "what would you do?".

message 19: by Regine (new)

Regine Yep, definitely a great read. And at the same time, you can't help but feel that the man was fated to die, regardless if anyone had tried to stop the attack.

Melanie: keep at it. I had a slow start because I didn't really do any reading for january and february.

message 20: by Regine (new)

Regine 15) Coraline by Neil Gaiman

3/5 stars. This book has been compared a lot to Alice in Wonderland. I can see why: A little girl goes through a mysterious door and finds a mysterious world where cats can talk and evil queens reign.

The only thing is, it isn't as good.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

i love neil gaimen shoud read is neverwhere its amazing i liked it much more the coraline

message 22: by Regine (new)

Regine Melanie wrote: "i love neil gaimen shoud read is neverwhere its amazing i liked it much more the coraline"

I love children's lit, and I think I should definitely be checking out more of Gaiman's work.

message 23: by Regine (last edited Apr 10, 2011 08:31PM) (new)

Regine 16) The Nose by Nikolai Gogol

2/5 stars. This story is about a man who loses his nose, and is in pursuit of his nose the whole novel.The nose develops a life of his own. Sound silly to you? Yes, me too.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Russian history to find the satire in the novel. All I really got frm it was "castration complex!"

message 24: by Regine (new)

Regine 17) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

5/5 stars. Wow. Excellent. It's an updated version of Jane Eyre, without all the happy bits. Lots of suspense, and beautifully written.

message 25: by Regine (new)

Regine 18) Jim Giraffe by Daren King

3/5 stars. Vulgar. Random. Hilarious. However, it isn't for the squeamish.

message 26: by Regine (new)

Regine 19)Les Liaisons Dangereuses

2/5 stars. So maybe this was one of the greatest satirical works about the French aristocracy. However, to me, it read like a very repetitive soap opera. Boo-urns.

message 27: by Regine (new)

Regine 20) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

3/5 stars. Started off really great, but the story dwindled for me.

21) Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

4/5 stars. Really well done short- stories. Such a powerful look at different issues such as racism, social class, etc.

message 28: by Regine (new)

Regine 22) The Birth House by Ami McKay

3/5 stars. Although it wasn't the most well-written book, I really enjoyed it. It really opened my eyes to a different way of welcoming new life.

message 29: by Regine (new)

Regine 23) Beloved by Toni Morrison

3/5 stars. I enjoyed this book. If you are the type of reader that enjoys symbolism and allegory, you will simply love this book. However, I've read a handful of books that deal with the same topics--racism, slavery, justice, the supernatural-- and this wasn't among my favourites.

message 30: by Regine (new)

Regine 24) Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

4/5 stars. This book was completely trashy! And I really, really enjoyed it. I devoured all 400 pages of this book in a little over two days.

25) Fifty Great Short Stories by Milton Crane

3/5 stars. The book was really hit and miss. There were some hidden gems, like the stories by Katherine Mansfield, Dorothy Parker, and Shirley Jackson. However, I also strongly disliked some of the stories in here.

message 31: by Regine (new)

Regine 26) Aikman Mind, Body and Soul by Troy Aikman

3/5 stars. These are the memoirs of the famous ex-Dallas quarterback, Troy Aikman. I enjoyed reading his thoughts, but I enjoyed the pictures even more. I've had a crush on him since I was around five. I can't help it.

message 32: by Regine (new)

Regine 27) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

4/5 stars. This reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye, except that the narrator gets extra brownie points because he actually had something to complain about.

message 33: by Regine (new)

Regine 28) We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

5/5 stars. This book combines horror and fairy tales. Great story about an insane young woman that I couldn't help but love.

message 34: by Regine (new)

Regine 29) A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor

4.5 stars. What starts out as any other regular family vacation ends in a "wtf!!!" ending. The more I read of Flannery O'Connor, the more I love her.

message 35: by Regine (new)

Regine The Wind in the Willows  by Kenneth Grahame

3/5 stars. It was a cute story about a toad, a mole, and a rat. I loved the early 1900's British dialogue, but I fell asleep several times while reading this book.

message 36: by Regine (new)

Regine This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3/5. I think this had the potential to be a GREAT book. I love the way Fitzgerald writes his female characters, more specifically, Beatrice and Eleanor. However, I really grew tired of Amory, and even though I thought some of the poetry was beautiful, I thought it a bit much.

message 37: by Regine (last edited Jun 03, 2011 06:10PM) (new)

Regine 32) Bedknob and Broomstick (Puffin Books) by Mary Beth Norton

4/5. If you grew up watching the Disney version, then the book will be quite a different experience. I still found it to be really imaginative and fun.

message 38: by Regine (new)

Regine 33) Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill

2/5. Meh.