Should have read classics discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
This is the group read for April.

message 2: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Did anyone see the Jane Eyre challenge here on Goodreads? It is located over on the right side of your home page. I did see that some members of our group have finished it! Congrats, sounds like a fun challenge and perfect timing for our group read!

message 3: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Having read the novel many times, is it okay if I read the graphic novel during the group read?

message 4: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Sounds fine to me! It would be interesting to compare the two styles.

message 5: by Nell (new)

Nell My in person book group read Jane Eyre a few years ago along with Wide Sargasso Sea  by Jean Rhys Wide Sargasso Sea. In that book, Jean Rhys tells the story of the woman in the attic. It's a really good read.

message 6: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments I wish I hadn't read it just last month. That's pretty soon for a re-read I guess... I loved it and would love to join the group read. I will still follow the discussion.

message 7: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Nell wrote: "My in person book group read Jane Eyre a few years ago along with Wide Sargasso Sea  by Jean RhysWide Sargasso Sea. In that book, Jean Rhys tells the story of the woman in the att..."

I have never heard of that book. It sounds very interesting! Nell and Tugce Nida, did you enjoy the book? I read it years ago, so looking forward to the reread.

message 8: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments I loved it, it was amazing... Even with the heavy language and the style it was written, I read it in just a few days. Hope you enjoy it too... The tastes vary way too much I know, but still I would recommend to anyone who has a little similarity with my tastes :)

message 9: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Nell wrote: "My in person book group read Jane Eyre a few years ago along with Wide Sargasso Sea  by Jean RhysWide Sargasso Sea. In that book, Jean Rhys tells the story of the woman in the att..."

It should be an interesting read. I've always believed the woman in the attic was suffering from late stage syphilis. I try not to think about the implications.

message 10: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments I have added this one to my to-read and I can't stop it from growing larger everyday ...

message 11: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Tugce Nida wrote: "I have added this one to my to-read and I can't stop it from growing larger everyday ..."

I would have to agree, mine is almost out of control. It has grown exponentially since I got on this site.

message 12: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Late stage syphilis..hmm, never thought of that. Would add some interesting implications though.

message 13: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I watched the entire 5 hour BBC version last weekend. It was good but I found the interpretation of Mr. Rochester's character a bit annoying. Interesting story ...I'll save more of my comments for when we get started with the book next month.

message 14: by Tuğçe (last edited Mar 11, 2011 04:34AM) (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments Has anyone heard this one, Rochester : A Novel Inspired by Charlotte Bronte's "JAne Eyre" by J.L. Niemann
Rochester A Novel Inspired by Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" by J.L. Niemann
the link for the book from amazon is http://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Novel-Inspired-Charlotte-Brontes/dp/1426916396/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299845080&sr=1-7
I wonder how this one is...

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimflo) | 3 comments I've always wanted to read this but never really got to it. I'm still new to reading classic novels, though I'm addicted to buying them. Weird? Anyway, I have a brand new copy of Jayne Eyre sitting on my book shelf and I can't wait to start reading it.

message 16: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Tugce Nida wrote: "Has anyone heard this one, Rochester : A Novel Inspired by Charlotte Bronte's "JAne Eyre" by J.L. Niemann
Rochester A Novel Inspired by Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" by J.L. Niemann
the lin..."

Never heard of this one either. Does it seem like these prequel/sequel books are becoming much more popular?

message 17: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments It reminds me of Amanda Grange's series of diaries from Austen's male leads. I like to read the stories from the mens' perspectives too.

message 18: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments Amy wrote: "It reminds me of Amanda Grange's series of diaries from Austen's male leads. I like to read the stories from the mens' perspectives too."

Let me know if you are up for a buddy read sometime :) I like that too so it can be interesting.

message 19: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Amy wrote: "It reminds me of Amanda Grange's series of diaries from Austen's male leads. I like to read the stories from the mens' perspectives too."

Let me know if you are up for a buddy read som..."

I'm definitely up for a buddy read, but I'm not sure when.

message 20: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments I'm grouchy today. My friends and I had plans to go to see Jane Eyre this weekend, but when we went to buy tickets online, we found it's not playing in our town this weekend. What's up with that?

message 21: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 12 comments ooh its already on? thats not fair! we won't having it until may or something :(

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) Amy wrote: "I'm grouchy today. My friends and I had plans to go to see Jane Eyre this weekend, but when we went to buy tickets online, we found it's not playing in our town this weekend. What's up with that?"

Same here in Asheville, NC! My work friends and I were excited to see it-and then totally sad when we realized it wasn't playing here! BOO! HISS!

message 23: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Mar 12, 2011 09:00PM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Found this link that will show you all the theaters currently showing or will soon be showing Jane Eyre in the US. It is only out in limited theaters and doesn't get released in Great Britain until Sept. 9th. Not sure about any other country release dates or if there are plans to release it to additional US theaters beyond what is listed.
http://focusfeatures.com/jane_eyre/th...

message 24: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "Amy wrote: "I'm grouchy today. My friends and I had plans to go to see Jane Eyre this weekend, but when we went to buy tickets online, we found it's not playing in our town this weekend. What's up..."
Looks like if you are in the Knoxville, TN or Charlotte, NC area in the next few weeks you might be able to get a chance to see it. Maybe you could make a "girls weekend" out of it?! Luckily it will be playing at a theater only about 30 minutes from me later in April...now I'll just have to talk someone into going to the movies with me. And it will give me a few weeks to get the book read before I go. Another idea for you: see if your library has any of the older productions available. I watched the 1983 BBC miniseries of Jane Eyre that way.

message 25: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariefromms) | 39 comments Kerri, thanks for the link for the theaters. April first(April fool's day) it is showing in C.S. Maybe someone from the Hugo area might like to see the movie also.Ha.

message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy Gerbode (wingsofjoy) | 57 comments Thanks for the link ... looks I will have to go quite a ways to see it .. however, it might be playing in Milwaukee when I'm there in April (my sister-in-law, who is an elementary principle, will be with me, and would likely enjoy seeing it) and otherwise I'll have to drive to Madison. Or Chicago, but I'll pass on that one ...

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) Thanks Kerri-maybe I will have to take a road trip!

message 28: by Amy J. (last edited Mar 13, 2011 04:54PM) (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments if it ends up coming to town at some point I'll see it. Otherwise I'll wait for the DVD. I'm not going to drive to dallas for a movie.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimflo) | 3 comments Kerri wrote: "Found this link that will show you all the theaters currently showing or will soon be showing Jane Eyre in the US. It is only out in limited theaters and doesn't get released in Great Britain unti..."

Thanks for this! Luckily I live in CA's Bay Area so it's showing everywhere. Hopefully I finish the book in time to watch the movie. This is my first time reading it.

message 30: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I was just curious if someone has had a chance to see the movie yet? And if it was any good?

message 31: by Amy J. (last edited Mar 29, 2011 12:08PM) (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Nope. Still not playing around here.

I've resigned to having to wait for the DVD.

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariefromms) | 39 comments I plan to see the movie on Friday. I am trying hard to finish the book before then. May not happen.

message 33: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Mar 30, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Finished the graphic novel (long version) of Jane Eyre yesterday. I really liked it. It was very similar to the BBC miniseries, except that Jane and Mr. Rochester were actually fairly attractive in the book...and yet there are many references to the contrary in the writing. I still have a few issues about the story but will wait til more of you have had a chance to read it. Hope you all enjoy the story and movie if you get a chance to see it.

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments I just purchased the graphic version on e-bay. Should be here in a week or two. I will be killing two birds with one stone.

message 35: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Amy wrote: "I just purchased the graphic version on e-bay. Should be here in a week or two. I will be killing two birds with one stone."

That's my plan too.

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy Gerbode (wingsofjoy) | 57 comments I am hoping to finish Watership Down in the next day or so, and then begin Jane Eyre ... I'm not going with the graphic version, though. Still looking for a movie near me ... maybe in a couple weeks when I'm in Milwaukee.

message 37: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I got my copy yesterday also, not in graphic form though. Might try to see the movie on Friday, but will have to travel to see it. Can't decide between that or Netflix-hmmm....

message 38: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments I finished my graphic novel today. I've been stuck at home sick for 2 days so naturally I've been reading and sleeping.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I did feel it was rather abrupt in places. If I hadn't read the story before, I may not have understood what was going on or why things happened. especially with regards to Bertha.

message 39: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I know that I'm not very far along in the book, but Jane certainly does have to put up with the bullies doesn't she? I have a picture of John Reed in my head as Harry Potter's cousin, Dudley. I hope he gets a piggy tail!

message 40: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Found this on Wikipedia, nice to have some background info. Granted it is from Wikipedia, so take with a grain of salt!
Jane Eyre (play /ˌdʒeɪn ˈɛə/) is a famous and influential novel by English writer Charlotte Brontë. It was published in London, England, in 1847 by Smith, Elder & Co. with the title Jane Eyre. An Autobiography under the pen name "Currer Bell," the "autobiography's" supposed editor. The first American edition was released the following year by Harper & Brothers of New York.

The novel merges elements of three distinct genres. It has the form of a Bildungsroman, a story about a child's maturation, focusing on the emotions and experiences that accompany growth to adulthood. The novel also contains much social criticism, with a strong sense of morality at its core, and finally has the brooding and moody quality and a Byronic character typical of Gothic[1] fiction.

It is a novel often considered ahead of its time due to its portrayal of the development of a thinking and passionate young woman who is both individualistic, desiring for a full life, while also highly moral. Jane evolves from her beginnings as a poor and plain woman without captivating charm to her mature stage as a compassionate and confident whole woman. As she matures, she comments much on the complexities of the human condition. Jane also has a deeply pious personal trust in God, but is also highly self-reliant. Although Jane suffers much, she is never portrayed as a damsel in distress who needs rescuing. For this reason, it is sometimes regarded as an important early feminist (or proto-feminist) novel.[2]

message 41: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they have read so far?

message 42: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariefromms) | 39 comments I have finished reading Jane Eyre. Enjoyed the book,but did not care for Mr. Rochester.

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 13 comments Lisa wrote: "Does anyone have any thoughts on what they have read so far?"

So far I LOVE it. I don't know why I have not read this before. Jane seems to have to endure quite a lot, has not had much in the way of love and example set for her in her younger years, and still is quite remarkable. To me there have been some twists and turns to keep me interested, and now I am about 40 pages from the end!

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy Gerbode (wingsofjoy) | 57 comments While I am still trying to get the book read, I am delighted to say that I got to see the new movie today. I am in Milwaukee, having a great time with my sister-in-law while our husbands attend a modeling expo (model car kits, etc.) Anyway, we saw the movie, and it was quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It followed the book as well as I can remember it from years past ... haven't read enough recently, but now I'm excited to get the book read.

message 45: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I have to admit that I was slacking this month and just now really started to read this book. Now I'm hooked! Starting with the red room incident, what do you think? Did she experience a specter of her uncle or was she a victim of an over-active imagination? Can't wait to see if this use of the supernatural comes back throughout the book.
How about that wonderful orphanage/girl's school? I have never smelled burnt porridge, but I could almost give it a quality after reading that passage! Yuck!

message 46: by Joy (new)

Joy Gerbode (wingsofjoy) | 57 comments I don't think it was really a specter of her uncle, but it seems something did happen in that room, she thought it was a ghost and was scared spitless, and it was cruel for her aunt to make her stay there. Did give that supernatural feel to the book, though. As for the burnt porridge, the other night I scorched some spaghetti sauce, and it took a couple days to get the small out of the house, so I can well imagine that. To have to eat the stuff would have been horrid!

message 47: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Just met Mr. Rochester and must say I'm not impressed so far. To blame Jane for bewitching his horse? Huh?

message 48: by Joy (new)

Joy Gerbode (wingsofjoy) | 57 comments Yes, I thought he was somewhat obnoxiously arrogant, especially when first met. He sort of grew on me as the book progressed, then ups and downs from liking him to hating him. Never did really love him.

message 49: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I did not like Mr. Rochester at all, especially at that first scene with the horse. That brings up a question I have been thinking about...How do you think Charlotte Bronte's age, experience, etc...might have influenced her writing of Jane Eyre?

message 50: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariefromms) | 39 comments I did not care for Mr. Rochester from the time he entered the picture until the end of the book. What he tried to pull on Jane ,in my opinion, was awful.

« previous 1