The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.10. The Final Frontiers

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 19, 2011 04:21AM) (new)

Sandy | 16415 comments Mod
10.10. The Final Frontiers: May 3 is Paranormal Day and May 4 is Intergalactic Star Wars Day - read a fantasy or science fiction book

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Mar 06, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

message 3: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 4: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I assume any of the standard paranormal type creatures would work? Ghost, vampire, werewolf, demon/angel?

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Christine US wrote: "I assume any of the standard paranormal type creatures would work? Ghost, vampire, werewolf, demon/angel?"

Any book that would fairly be characterized as science fiction/fantasy/paranormal works for this task.

message 6: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would you accept The Year of the Flood? i see it shelved as sci-fi by some...it's definitely dystopian, but not sure that necessarily makes it sci-fi.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "would you accept The Year of the Flood? i see it shelved as sci-fi by some...it's definitely dystopian, but not sure that necessarily makes it sci-fi."

I'd call it sci fi

message 8: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thanks! :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I'm going to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls because I love me some zombies!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Just double checking that the Harry Potter Books would be included in this genre?

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Just double checking that the Harry Potter Books would be included in this genre?"

As much as I'd love to go to Hogwarts myself, I have to say that they're fantasy, so they work!

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Sandy wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Just double checking that the Harry Potter Books would be included in this genre?"

As much as I'd love to go to Hogwarts myself, I have to say that they're fantasy, so they work!"

lol, well there is that theme park in Orlando you could try... I would love to go there!

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Haha...it isn't a theme park. With a little magic anything is possible...even the relocation of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Would Dune work? It's definitely science fiction, in my opinion. :P

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Marie wrote: "Would Dune work? It's definitely science fiction, in my opinion. :P"

absolutely.

message 16: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments i'm going to read The Battle of the Labyrinth for this task. I read the first 2 books of the series in the Winter challenge, and plan on reading the 3rd book for the Going Green task this time.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Juli wrote: "i'm going to read The Battle of the Labyrinth for this task. I read the first 2 books of the series in the Winter challenge, and plan on reading the 3rd book for the Going Green task..."

that certainly works.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenlovesbooks) Hi Sandy! Would you accept Uglies by Scott Westerfeld? Thank you!

message 19: by Sandy (new)

krisabelle wrote: "Hi Sandy! Would you accept Uglies by Scott Westerfeld? Thank you!"

certainly - it's fantasy.

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments I was wondering if The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane would be OK for this task. On its main page fantasy is one of the popular shelves listed but I wasn't sure.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sheila wrote: "I was wondering if The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane would be OK for this task. On its main page fantasy is one of the popular shelves listed but I wasn't sure."

From the description, I don't think it really fits this one.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Thanks for answering so quickly Sandy. I'll use it somewhere else.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenlovesbooks) Thank you, Sandy! ☺

Sandy wrote: "krisabelle wrote: "Hi Sandy! Would you accept Uglies by Scott Westerfeld? Thank you!"

certainly - it's fantasy."

message 24: by Carrie (last edited Mar 09, 2011 11:52PM) (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments I was wondering if the upcoming book Steel (to be released on March 15th), which involves time travel (and pirates) and dark magic, would count for this task?

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Keri ★TX wrote: "I was wondering if the upcoming book Steel (to be released on March 15th), which involves time travel (and pirates) and dark magic, would count for this task?"

time travel and magic sounds like fantasy to me!

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Yay! Thank you, Sandy :)

message 27: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments I was wondering if the "In Death" books by J.D. Robb would fit this task Sandy.

Or would Sabotaged by Margaret Peterson Haddix work?

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10974 comments Sheila wrote: "I was wondering if the "In Death" books by J.D. Robb would fit this task Sandy.

Or would Sabotaged by Margaret Peterson Haddix work?"

The "in Death" books work. So does Sabotaged. You're choice. (Sandy's on vacation. ;o))

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Thanks Kristi

message 30: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) | 57 comments Would Witch & Wizard by James Patterson work? I believe it will, I just wanted to double-check.

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Danie wrote: "Would Witch & Wizard by James Patterson work? I believe it will, I just wanted to double-check."

Yep.

message 32: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments So would Wicked Lovely work? She can see faeries so that puts it in the fantasy category for me but wanted to check on it.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

TeresaFL wrote: "So would Wicked Lovely work? She can see faeries so that puts it in the fantasy category for me but wanted to check on it."

I'd definitely call it fantasy.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 187 comments Is it okay if I read two shorter fantasy books? They are: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling (42 pgs, fantasy) and The Twits by Roald Dahl (96 pgs, fantasy).

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Rachel wrote: "Is it okay if I read two shorter fantasy books? They are: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling (42 pgs, fantasy) and The Twits by [auth..."

the rules allow this

message 36: by Diane (new)

message 37: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) Would Beastlywork?

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Nicki wrote: "Would Beastlywork?"

Diane wrote: "Would Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham work?"

I'll take them.