The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.9. No Lawyer Jokes!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
10.9. No Lawyer Jokes!: May 1 is Law Day. Read a fiction or non-fiction book about law or featuring a lawyer. If the connection is not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the connection in your post.

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Mar 01, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Sorry, won't work:
books about bounty hunters, police, detectives
China Bayles series
The Federalist Papers

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Does a bounty hunter qualify as part of the law?

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Does a bounty hunter qualify as part of the law?"

No, this should be about a lawyer, or the legal system, courtroom stuff, etc.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Do cops or detectives count?

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Do cops or detectives count?"

Detective/cop books normally would not work for this task, since they usually revolve around investigations, crimes, etc., not around courtroom/law stuff.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Does a nonpracticing lawyer count? I'm thinking specifically of Susan Wittig Albert and the China Bayles series.

message 10: by Beth (last edited Feb 19, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments For fans of urban fantasy...

Beginning in Kitty Takes a Holiday, Ben, Kitty's lawyer, plays a very prominent role in the story. He's around in the first two books too but not as a main character.

message 11: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will a book about the salem witch trials work?

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sue T wrote: "Does a nonpracticing lawyer count? I'm thinking specifically of Susan Wittig Albert and the China Bayles series."

I haven't read these, but from the descriptions, it sounds as if it's pretty clear that she's an "ex lawyer," more as a description of her past than of anything she's currently doing. If that's the case, I'd say no to these.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "will a book about the salem witch trials work?"

yes

message 14: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I was thinking Savor the Moment...her love interest is a lawyer. Would that work?

message 15: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "I was thinking Savor the Moment...her love interest is a lawyer. Would that work?"

If he's a significant character in the book, yes.

message 17: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments Wouldn't Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson work also?

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "Would Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil work?"

yes, the trials were a pretty important part of the book, as were the legal strategies. good book, too!

message 19: by Sandy (new)

KSMary wrote: "Wouldn't Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutersonwork also?"

yes it would.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments How about A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian has to do with immigration and familly laws

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17497 comments Mod
The Williamsburg Library has great Readers' Advisory lists: Court is in Session

message 22: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments David Rosenfelt has a series where a lawyer is the lead character. The first book was Open and Shut and I thought it was pretty good.

message 23: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I'm thinking that the Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron would work (starts with Bootlegger's Daughter: A Deborah Knott Mystery) Deborah is a judge and the books often have scenes of her in her courtroom.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Robin wrote: "How about A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian has to do with immigration and familly laws"

From reading the description, it doesn't sound like law or lawyers is the point of the plot or a significant part of the plot. I haven't read it, so can't be sure, but the legal system would have to central to the plot for this to work.

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "I'm thinking that the Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron would work (starts with Bootlegger's Daughter: A Deborah Knott Mystery) Deborah is a judge and the books often have scene..."

yep, and a lot of the other characters in the book are lawyers, too.

message 26: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments To Kill a Mockingbird?? i (heart) atticus. :)

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments The Law of Revenge by Theresa Collins okay?

message 28: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird?? i (heart) atticus. :)"

Not just his being a lawyer, but the trial is pretty pivotal as well.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Robin wrote: "The Law of Revenge by Theresa Collins okay?"

sounds fine.

message 30: by Christine US (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Assuming I can find either of these, would they worK?

Trouble in High Heels
The Crimson Rooms

the main characters are lawyers, but I don't know if they spend a lot of time in the courtroom in the book

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Christine US wrote: "Assuming I can find either of these, would they worK?

Trouble in High Heels
The Crimson Rooms

the main characters are lawyers, but I don't know if they spend a l..."

If the main characters are practicing lawyers, it doesn't matter whether they're spending much time in the courtroom. Most lawyers don't, actually.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I would like to take this opportunity to read a John Grisham novel, can anyone suggest a good one? I've never read anything written by him and I'm a little intimidated. Thanks!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments What about most of the John Grisham books? Like The Pelican Brief or The Testament or The Client or The Associate? I think they are all lawyer books.

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn wrote: "What about most of the John Grisham books? Like The Pelican Brief or The Testament or The Client or The Associate? I think they are ..."

He's written a couple books that don't involve lawyers, but most of his books are about lawyers.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Sandy wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What about most of the John Grisham books? Like The Pelican Brief or The Testament or The Client or The Associate? I..."

Great. Thanks!

message 36: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments How about Strategic Moves it doesn't take place in a courtroom, but the main character is a lawyer and the plot is around his clients and his interaction with them.

message 37: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I was thinking of either The Merry-Go-Round - which is about a lawyer going through a bitter divorce and opens in a court of law, or Strange Bedpersons - the hero is a lawyer - just wanted to check that these work- thanks!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Can The Runaway Jury work? It seems to focus on a lawyer suing a tobacco company and the jury that is on the case. I'm not sure if the laywer is the central character but from reading the reviews he seems to be very important.

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Amanda wrote: "Can The Runaway Jury work? It seems to focus on a lawyer suing a tobacco company and the jury that is on the case. I'm not sure if the laywer is the central character but from readin..."

Fran wrote: "I was thinking of either The Merry-Go-Round - which is about a lawyer going through a bitter divorce and opens in a court of law, or Strange Bedpersons - the hero is a l..."

Beth NC wrote: "How about Strategic Moves it doesn't take place in a courtroom, but the main character is a lawyer and the plot is around his clients and his interaction with them."

all work!

message 40: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Sandy wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Can The Runaway Jury work? It seems to focus on a lawyer suing a tobacco company and the jury that is on the case. I'm not sure if the laywer is the central character ..."

Thanks Sandy!

message 41: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Would The Trial by Kafka or even The Federalist Papers work?

message 42: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I LOVE this task!!! But, then, Sandy, you probably knew that I would ;)

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Would So Enchanting work?
The hero is a lawyer by profession (p. 120) although he works more as an investigator for the crown than as a lawyer..

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Terri Fl wrote: "Would The Trial by Kafka or even The Federalist Papers work?"

The Trial works. The Federalist Papers isn't really about the legal system, but about government. So, no to that one.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Ashley FL wrote: "I LOVE this task!!! But, then, Sandy, you probably knew that I would ;)"

I designed it just for you, Ashley!

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Melanie wrote: "Would So Enchanting work?
The hero is a lawyer by profession (p. 120) although he works more as an investigator for the crown than as a lawyer.."

If his being a lawyer is just a background fact about him, but he's not working as a lawyer, no.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

BJ Rose wrote: "Is this OK? It's about 12 Supreme Court Decisions:

The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom"

that works.

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Sandy wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Would So Enchanting work?
The hero is a lawyer by profession (p. 120) although he works more as an investigator for the crown than as a lawyer.."

If his being a ..."

Ok:-) I'll use Julie James then:-D

message 50: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Early on someone mentioned the Kitty Norville series, her husband is a lawyer, and figures in most of the books, does this series count, thanks?

« previous 1