The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.3. Beware the Ides of March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 19, 2011 04:27AM) (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
10.3. Beware the Ides of March : March 15 is the Ides of March. Read a book about, or set during, the time of the Roman Empire (44 BC to 476 AD)

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Feb 22, 2011 09:54AM) (new)

message 4: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments could we read shakespeare's Julius Caesar...or is that just too easy?? :)

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments would The Ides of March by Thorton Wilder be okay? Don't know for sure when it takes place but it is in ancient Rome.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I plan to use The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden. I read the first book in his Genghis Khan series for the Winter challenge and really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I don't have exact dates for when this book takes place -- but it seems like it would work. Mistress of Rome

Is it Ok without precise dates?

message 8: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "could we read shakespeare's Julius Caesar...or is that just too easy?? :)"

When I read it in high school, it didn't seem "too easy," LOL!

Sure, it works for this task.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Christine US wrote: "I don't have exact dates for when this book takes place -- but it seems like it would work. Mistress of Rome

Is it Ok without precise dates?"

Yes, from the description it sounds like it takes place during the right general time frame.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Robin wrote: "would The Ides of March by Thorton Wilder be okay? Don't know for sure when it takes place but it is in ancient Rome."

From the description, it sounds fine.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Beth F. wrote: "I plan to use The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden. I read the first book in his Genghis Khan series for the Winter challenge and really enjoyed it."

sounds good!

message 12: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Just to clarify, when you say "set during the time of the Roman Empire," does that mean the book can be from that time period but not have anything to do with the Roman Empire? I'm don't think this is what you mean, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments i'm planning on doing The First Man in Rome if it works...I think it does based on the description

message 14: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Sandy wrote: "kiki wrote: "could we read shakespeare's Julius Caesar...or is that just too easy?? :)"

When I read it in high school, it didn't seem "too easy," LOL!

Sure, it works for this task."

lol, it really ISN'T easy, i agree, and i'm actually dreading it, but it's the only book i have related to the task. i just meant it seemed like the obvious choice to read! :)

message 15: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 20, 2011 05:39PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Is it OK to read a book written during the Roman Empire? - Ovid's Metamorphoses, "a Latin narrative poem in fifteen books by the Roman poet Ovid describing the history of the world from its creation to the deification of Julius Caesar" completed in the year 8 AD

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i'm planning on doing The First Man in Rome if it works...I think it does based on the description"

Unfortunately, from the description, it appears that this is about Gaius Marius, who pre-dated the Roman Empire - he died in 86 BC, 40 years before the period of the Roman Empire began. So this is still during the period when Rome was a Republic, not during the time of the Roman Empire.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

travelgirlut wrote: "Just to clarify, when you say "set during the time of the Roman Empire," does that mean the book can be from that time period but not have anything to do with the Roman Empire? I'm don't think thi..."

It should have some connection to the Roman Empire, but it doesn't have to be set in Rome. The Empire spread itself all over the place, and it's fine to read a book set somewhere else as long as there's some connection.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Rosemary wrote: "Is it OK to read a book written during the Roman Empire? - Ovid's Metamorphoses, "a Latin narrative poem in fifteen books by the Roman poet Ovid describing the history of the world from its creatio..."

yes, that would be okay.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments ahhh nuts! only the last one in the series actually fits that time period...i might go with the Iggulson one then since its already approved...and i've liked his previous books

Sandy wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i'm planning on doing The First Man in Rome if it works...I think it does based on the description"

Unfortunately, from the description, it a..."

message 20: by Valorie (new)

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Valorie wrote: "Will this work? Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow"

Unfortunately, no - the Trojan War was much earlier than the time of the Roman Empire.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Would Roman Dusk work for this task?

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work? Nobody's Princess

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "will this work? Nobody's Princess"

no, the Trojan War was much earlier than the Roman Empire, so Helen of Troy isn't going to work.

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Kimifly wrote: "Would Roman Dusk work for this task?"

from the description, it sounds as if it's in the right time frame - talking about the Roman Empire being in its waning days, and the "new" religion of Christianity.

message 27: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Lahni wrote: "Will this work? Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire"

Ohh, that one looks good, I hope it's approved so I can read it!

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Lahni wrote: "Will this work? Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire"

it sounded fine, and I was also able to find a description on Amazon that said it's set in 117 AD - so it's good.

I'm glad you reminded me of this one! It was either free or really cheap to download on kindle in early January, so I've got it on my kindle - and it sounds pretty good.

message 29: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks, Sandy. I got mine free around then too.

message 30: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would Nobody's Princess work? I saw it on someone's reading plans but wasn't sure?

message 31: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would Nobody's Princess work? I saw it on someone's reading plans but wasn't sure?"

that was already disapproved.

message 32: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Would Mistress of Rome work for this task? Thanks.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "Would Mistress of Rome work for this task? Thanks."

yes. Already listed in post 2 as approved.

message 34: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Can I use a book about Cleopatra? Maybe Cleopatra Rules! - her rule falls during the beginning of the Roman empire.

message 35: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) I was wondering about Cleopatra: A Life myself -- is that too tangential?

message 36: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Sandy wrote: "Erin (NY) wrote: "Would Mistress of Rome work for this task? Thanks."

yes. Already listed in post 2 as approved."

Sorry, didn't see that! Thanks!

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Gayla wrote: "I was wondering about Cleopatra: A Life myself -- is that too tangential?"

Fran wrote: "Can I use a book about Cleopatra? Maybe Cleopatra Rules! - her rule falls during the beginning of the Roman empire."

Cleopatra works - she's in the right period, and she was certainly entangled with the key players in the Empire

message 38: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Sandy wrote: "Gayla wrote: "I was wondering about Cleopatra: A Life myself -- is that too tangential?"

Fran wrote: "Can I use a book about Cleopatra? Maybe Cleopatra Rules! - her..."

Great- thanks Sandy!

message 39: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Thank you!

message 40: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments How about A Body in the Bathhouse? I have it lying around for some time now as audiobook and have nearly made my mind up to listen to it. From the description it sounds as if it's set in Emperor Vespasian's time.

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Isabell wrote: "How about A Body in the Bathhouse? I have it lying around for some time now as audiobook and have nearly made my mind up to listen to it. From the description it sounds as if it's set..."

The GR descriptions starts out "AD 75" so that works!

message 42: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Checking the English description would have helped me a lot (I read only my German edition's description).
Thanks.

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments does this one work:

The Course of Honor - from the description:

Ancient Rome's most turbulent period is recreated in this story of the Emperor Vespasian and his mistress, Antonia Caenis, a freed slave. As their forbidden romance blossoms, she is embroiled in political intrigue, while he embarks on a glorious career.

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "does this one work:

The Course of Honor - from the description:

Ancient Rome's most turbulent period is recreated in this story of the Emperor Vespasian and his mistress, Antonia Cae..."

yep. Vespasian was emperor from 69 to 79 AD, so that's within the timeframe.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments thanks! as an aside - i think most of Lindsey Davis's books are set during that time period - Body in the Bathhouse is one of the later ones in the series and I saw that it was approved

message 46: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Would The Light Bearer work

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Would The Light Bearer work"

yes - it apparently takes place in the lst century AD, so the time is right, and it certainly seems to involve the Roman Empire.

message 48: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments I'm pretty sure this qualifies, but just to be positive, will The Silver Chalice work?

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Nancy wrote: "I'm pretty sure this qualifies, but just to be positive, will The Silver Chalice work?"

Yep.

« previous 1