The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

153 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.1. Sing Out

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
10.1. Sing Out: March is Music in Our Schools Month. Read a biography/autobiography/memoir of a musician, or a novel featuring a professional musician or music teacher. If the connection is not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the connection in your post.


message 3: by Sandy (last edited Feb 20, 2011 06:06AM) (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Books disapproved:
The Rainaldi Quartet
High Fidelity


message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Does The Book Thief work for this one? The foster father is an accordianist.


message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
★Meghan★ wrote: "Does The Book Thief work for this one? The foster father is an accordianist."

The intent of this task (which I'm going to change to make it more clear) is to read about a professional musician. It's been a while since I read the Book Thief, but I don't recall the foster father being a professional musician. If he was, then it would work, since he had a significant role in the book.


message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I just checked out The Rainaldi Quartet, which is about a violin maker. Would this work, or do you prefer the actual violinist? (Don't worry--if you don't want to have it here, I can alway read it before the next challenge starts.)


message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Donna Jo wrote: "I just checked out The Rainaldi Quartet, which is about a violin maker. Would this work, or do you prefer the actual violinist? (Don't worry--if you don't want to have it here, I can..."

really looking for a musician here - but, there will probably be other tasks this will work for - lots to come yet!


message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7544 comments guess i'm going to check mine then - Conquest - they are both musicians, one of whom is struggling and leaves the field and the other who has to make the choice to follow him or not...


message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "guess i'm going to check mine then - Conquest - they are both musicians, one of whom is struggling and leaves the field and the other who has to make the choice to follow him or not..."

From reading the description, sounds like these are people who are/were professional musicians - you don't necessarily have to be a success!


message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Sandy wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "Does The Book Thief work for this one? The foster father is an accordianist."

The intent of this task (which I'm going to change to make it more clear) is to read ..."


I read The Book Thief recently and while the foster father ua a painter he is also paid for playing the accordian places.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)


message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Kimifly wrote: "Would The Four Seasons: A Novel of Vivaldi's Venice be ok for this task?"

yes, sounds interesting!


message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Lahni wrote: "I read The Book Thief recently and while the foster father ua a painter he is also paid for playing the accordian places...."

If he'd be considered a professional musician, then it works.


message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Will The Mozart Conspiracy work? It sounds like one of the protagonists is an opera singer.


message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments For fantasy fans, War for the Oaks by Emma Bull would work for this task, especially if you're a fan of Prince. :)


message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Beth F. wrote: "For fantasy fans, War for the Oaks by Emma Bull would work for this task, especially if you're a fan of Prince. :)"

Good idea! Also in the fantasy genre, Mercedes Lackey's Bedlam's Bard and the others in that series would work, since the main character is a musician.


message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Sue T wrote: "Will The Mozart Conspiracy work? It sounds like one of the protagonists is an opera singer."

yes, sounds like it would work.


message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Also, Emma Bull is a Goodreads author so you could claim a ticket! :)


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Would "The Tapestry Shop" work? It is about compositions left behind by a poet/musician.


message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3877 comments High Fidelity has come up in several searches I have done as a book about a musician. But from the back cover, it is about " a pop music junkie". Doesn't sound like it would fit to me but would like to know as I have it on my home shelves and would not need to adventure out to the library!


message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would "The Tapestry Shop" work? It is about compositions left behind by a poet/musician."

The description said it's based on the life of a "poet/musician" so that would work.


message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "High Fidelity has come up in several searches I have done as a book about a musician. But from the back cover, it is about " a pop music junkie". Doesn't sound like it would fit to m..."

No, that wouldn't work - doesn't sound as if it's about a musician.


message 23: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments How about the The Cellist of Sarajevo?


message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Erin (NY) wrote: "How about the The Cellist of Sarajevo?"

sounds good to me.


message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Would either of these work?
The Piano Teacher
The Pianist

Thanks


message 26: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Bel Canto has an opera singer as a main character. i just read it for the winter challenge, but wanted to mention it for others. it's a lovely book. :)


message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I read Good Things I Wish You: A Novel for the Fall Challenge and it would definitely fit well into this task if anyone is looking for ideas.


message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Would either of these work?
The Piano Teacher
The Pianist

Thanks"


Yes. One about a music teacher, one about a musician.


message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
kiki wrote: "Bel Canto has an opera singer as a main character. i just read it for the winter challenge, but wanted to mention it for others. it's a lovely book. :)"

It is a good book, well worth reading


message 30: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I'm curious to see if any of these books would work. They are all by individuals who have varied experiences with professional musicians -- but they aren't focused on just 1 musician, more on the overall music experience with several groups:

Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.

I'm with the Band: Confessions of a True Groupie

Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess

If none of those would work, would the story of a child who is the son of a rock star and works on his relationship with his dad:
Born to Rock


message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7544 comments Thanks for the Rec - I picked this one up for another challenge, so might slot it in here...if i don't end up liking the one i have right now

kiki wrote: "Bel Canto has an opera singer as a main character. i just read it for the winter challenge, but wanted to mention it for others. it's a lovely book. :)"


message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather | 367 comments How about Choosing to SEE? It is written by Mary Beth Chapman, wife of Christian artist Stephen Curtis Chapman. It is about both of their struggles in losing a child.

Heather in KS


message 34: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3877 comments Would Three Legged Horse by Ann Hood or Music and silence by Anne Redmon work for this task?


message 35: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments ALso -- what about:

Liszt's Kiss: A Novel
Wild Roses
The Musician's Daughter

Sorry, for so many...I'm trying to come up with options A,B and C in case the library only has one or the other.


message 36: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 654 comments Christine US wrote: "I'm curious to see if any of these books would work. They are all by individuals who have varied experiences with professional musicians -- but they aren't focused on just 1 musician, more on the ..."

Wonderland Avenue is one of my all-time favorite books. The Doors, especially Jim Morrison, and Iggy Pop play major roles in the story.


message 37: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Christine US wrote: "I'm curious to see if any of these books would work. They are all by individuals who have varied experiences with professional musicians -- but they aren't focused on just 1 musician, more on the ..."

The nonfiction books need to be about a musician (or a musical group would work, too). These books sound more like "my adventures running around partying/sleeping with various musicians." So, the question to ask is whether you would consider this a biography of a musician, or a memoir of a groupie/roadie/whatever. The first works, the second doesn't.

For a fiction book, the musician/music teacher should play a substantial part in the book - not necessarily the protagonist, but someone who's a significant character.


message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Heather KS wrote: "How about Choosing to SEE? It is written by Mary Beth Chapman, wife of Christian artist Stephen Curtis Chapman. It is about both of their struggles in losing a child.

Heather in KS"


From the description, it sounds as if it's more a memoir of the wife than a biography of the husband-musician.


message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Jennifer N. wrote: "What about???
Ragtime
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
The Kreutzer Sonata
Doctor Faustus"


all work


message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Would Three Legged Horse by Ann Hood or Music and silence by Anne Redmon work for this task?"

Since the GR description doesn't tell anything about the books, you'll have to give me more detail.


message 41: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Christine US wrote: "ALso -- what about:

Liszt's Kiss: A Novel
Wild Roses
The Musician's Daughter

Sorry, for so many...I'm trying to come up with options A,B and C in..."


These all sound fine.


message 42: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Both of these available at my library online- both good?

Between a Heart and a Rock Place by Pat Benatar

First Step 2 Forever by Justin Bieber (my daughter will make me read this one to her)


message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "Both of these available at my library online- both good?

Between a Heart and a Rock Place by Pat Benatar

First Step 2 Forever by [author:Justin ..."


Both would work


message 44: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3877 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would Three Legged Horse by Ann Hood or Music and silence by Anne Redmon work for this task?"

Since the GR description doesn't ..."


Three-Legged Horse is the name of a folk band. Abby plays the violin. This is a story of Abby's life and unusual marriage. "When Three-Legged Horse decides to split up, Abby starts to question her obsessive ties to Zach and the old values that once made everything seem all right."

"Maud - who is music - is a twenty-six-year-old cellist in retreat from a highly promising career after a disastrous love affair with her teacher and mentor. Beatrice - who is silence - is a forty-year-old physician drawn out of her self-imposed, saitlike isolation by Maud's predicament. Into their lives comes Arthur, a half-crazed religious fanatic, bringing with him destruction wrought in the name of God, as he inexorably propels this rich and compeloling novel to its shocking conclusion."


message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments What about Where Is Joe Merchant? The description says Joe Merchant is a rock star who died prior to the beginning of the story. Would that still work?


message 46: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would Three Legged Horse by Ann Hood or Music and silence by Anne Redmon work for this task?"

Since the GR descri..."


from your descriptions, it certainly seems as if both of these books feature musicians, so they would work.


message 47: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15693 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "What about Where Is Joe Merchant? The description says Joe Merchant is a rock star who died prior to the beginning of the story. Would that still work?"

from the descriptions, sounds like the musician is central to the plot, even if he's dead - so, yes it works!


message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments A suggestion for everyone is A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristen Chenoweth. She is a broadway star and this is her Memoir. I started this a long time ago and never finished, so I'm excited for this topic so I can finally finish! YAY!


message 49: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments There's a list of fiction featuring musicians here: http://www.ascpl.lib.oh.us/internetre...

They may not all be professional musicians.


message 50: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Would Caressa's Knees work? Caressa is a professional concert cellist.


« previous 1 3
back to top