Victorians! discussion

General Chat > Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) Hi,

I just joined this group, so sorry if this has already been asked, but I was wondering if books read aloud on CD count as having read the current book?
Thanks!

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I think so. I usually read the book and then listen to a narration. I count them both.

message 3: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments I count them! And I'm listening to two victorian novels at the moment: No Name and Dracula, both from librivox

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) oh good! I don't always have as much time to read as I would like to, so I put the book on my mp3 and "read" that way. :)

message 5: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments Rachel wrote: "Hi,

I just joined this group, so sorry if this has already been asked, but I was wondering if books read aloud on CD count as having read the current book?
Thanks!"

Welcome, Rachel.

If it doesn't count, I'm in trouble. With my current eye problems, I do a lot of audiobook listening, along with a fair amount of Kindling, where I can increase the font size. But right now, I'm "reading" on audio to the next book for my group (Classics and the Western Canon; the book being Moby Dick, which I've tried and failed to get through on paper several times in the past but am really enjoying listening to), so it it didn't count I would be in for a bad time.

message 6: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments Hi Rachel, if you mean listening to audiobooks to prepare for our discussions, that is exactly the same thing -- just double-check that you have the unabridged version so you dont miss anything -- we typically discuss the original version of the novels. I am so glad you are joining in.

I agree with everyone else that audio books give a good break for the eyes and are good to listen while doing other things. I have become more interested since I found that so many audio classics are free online.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) Thanks for the comments everyone! I am so glad that audiobooks count. :)

SarahC- I will definitely make sure I have the unabridged version! I'm usually pretty picky about that. I am probably not going to read the current 2 books since I joined half way through the month, but I will just start reading in March. Is it required to read both books, or can I just read 1?

Thanks again!

message 8: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments Rachel, no requirements on the reading at all. Just participate in which one you want during any month. The discussions called Group Reads are nominated and voted on by the entire group -- you'll see a new nominating folder pop up soon for April, for example.

The Side Reads are are set up by any member when they believe they have gathered interest among a small group of members who would like to read the same book. You can start a thread asking about interest in a partic. book at any time and schedule the read according to when your small group is available for discussion. Any of the moderators can give you further advice on setting one up if you need.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad audiobooks count, otherwise ...!

message 10: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 0 comments Everyman wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Hi,

T..."

Everyman, did you buy your Moby Dick audiobook from Audible? I have one credit and I am toying with the idea of downloading the book.

message 11: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments Sasha wrote: "Everyman, did you buy your Moby Dick audiobook from Audible? I have one credit and I am toying with the idea of downloading the book. "

Yes, I did. I got the version narrated by Duncan Carse, for some reason it was on sale for $4.95 (so frankly I wouldn't waste a credit on it, they're worth much more than that), but I'm finding it a very nicely narrated version for all it was so cheap.

I have tried Librivox, but the quality tends to be spotty, sometimes quite good, but other times not very pleasant to listen to for so many hours. And I like the consistency of a single narrator throughout.

message 12: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 0 comments Great, thanks Everyman.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 10 comments I always count listening to an audiobook as equivalent to reading a book. In the last couple of years I've really got into them, too. I recently finished listening to Peter Ackroyd's 'London: The Biography' (which was excellent).

message 14: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments I do count them; and as you say I'm listenig to a lot of books lately, especially victorians, since they're in public domain.

message 15: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments For audio book listeners, if you haven't checked out your library recently, do so. More and more libraries are signing up with services that let you download audiobooks (and ebooks) for free. the lending period for audiobooks at my library is 3 weeks, and once that time expires the listening program on my computer won't allow me to listen to it further (unless I re-borrow it), but once I download them onto my ipod I can listen forever. (There are cheap systems for listening to your ipod on your car radio. It sends a signal to an unused radio frequency and your radio picks that up.)

There are two major vendors I've seen for library use, NetLibrary and Overdrive. They have different (but somewhat overlapping) offerings, and some major libraries offer both.

Most library staffs are very happy to walk you through the process of getting audio books through this process (most require you to access the audiobooks from a non-library computer, so you can browse and download the books form your home computer!)

If your library doesn't yet offer these, ask them to! Or find a friend with library access at a library that does and get them to download them for you or even loan you their sign-in (there's no fine for overdue audiobooks since they automatically expire.)

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen (microcosme) I'm listening to "Vanity Fair" in my car. It was a free audio download from the library.

message 17: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments I'm listening The Way We Live Now from librivox

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (microcosme) Anna wrote:

Do you like it? I have had mixed experiences with libravox. War of the Worlds was great. A Little Princess made me wan..."

Librivox is hit-or-miss. If you find a good reader, search for other things they've narrated.

message 19: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments I'm loving it Anna; but I love Trollope in general, so it's not fair!!!
And this particular novel in Librivox is read by a single reader, a woman not so bad with her pronunciation - being italian I still have some difficulty with strong local accents!!!

message 20: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments You got my point Anna!