Irish Readers discussion

BUYING BOOKS IN RECESSIONARY TIMES

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Don't know of any places like that in Dublin but if anyone does let me know, I spend a fortune on books a few bargain buys would be good :)

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 4 comments Now that Waterstones has closed we have even fewer options in Dublin! The 3 for 2 options there used to be great.
Dublin doesnt seem particularly well stocked for book shops

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Yea I agree loved Waterstones, Easons is pretty useless. Hughes and Hughes are doing a promotion if you spend a hundred euro in store they will give you ten euro off a book..(bit like a clubcard) So if you plan on reading 50 new books it may come in handy !!

message 4: by Keith (last edited Feb 19, 2011 09:19AM) (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Well there's always the public librarys for times like this. I find the librarians in Athlone really helpful and always willing to help you find whatever book you're looking for. The library has even bought in books that they didn't have when I went looking for them.

The only thing that I find strange is that they won't accept book donations. I have loads of good condition books at home from Fiction to Academic books. I really wanted to give them to somewhere that would find them useful but the Library wouldn't accept them.

Anyone know of anywhere around Athlone that would find use for them?

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) i check out all the charity shops weekly for bargain books, some are as cheap as 50c or 1 euro, chapters in dublin is good, charlie byrnes in galway i love.

yes i agree local libraries are great too, and they will order books for you to read too.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Forgot about Chapters in Dublin.. Il have to go wander in there see whats on offer.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to go to Waterstones a lot, but lately I've started going to Chapter's. There's a place in Templebar called Exchange. It's on Exchange street and it lets you exchange books. :D

I hope you don't forget its name.
http://exchangedublin.ie/about

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) Hey peoples!
Never mind complaining about book shops in Dublin city... Try the bookshops in the west! Then you'll find out about poor selections and high prices!
You should have a look at booksunlimited.ie if you buy books online. Although they're more expensive than the likes of The Book Depository, they're Irish! They usually have a good selection, good value and use couriers for delivery.
(And no I don't work for them.. :p)

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) +1 for Charlie Byrnes in Galyway, great bookshop.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments I am a bit of a horder when it comes to books I like to keep them but i will check it out and see what they are selling Declan. Books unlimited I think they use to have a shop or could still do in Tallaght ??

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) "Calico" in Tramore, Co. Waterford is absolutely fantastic, big selection and great prices. The 2nd hand book shop in Paul Street in Cork city isn't too bad either!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Everything is 4 euro in Calico and the selection is quite varied... the shop attached is quite nice too! When you buy a few books together the owner will usually give you a nice discount.
To be honest it's mainly the atmosphere in the Paul St. shop I like, that and the proximity to good coffee!
If it's cheap books you are looking for then the library cannot be beaten, 15 euro for the year or 5euro if you are a student! Though sometimes its hard to part with good books!
If you don't mind reading on the computer then download the free Kindle app from Amazon and you can get lots of classics for free and most other books are around $5.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

hey you could try play.com great value and free delivery and can be cheaper then the book depositry!

message 14: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Curtis Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the Oxfam bookshop on Parliament Street in Dublin is great for cheap books. Its a bit of a lucky dip but unlike most charity shops they always have a decent amount of quality titles.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I've started going back in to Chapter's I've been getting great deals on any book not on the current best-seller list. They have an excellent second-hand section, too. For a new book I usually pay between 3 to 4.50 Euro. I like the idea of the kindle but it doesn't feel right. I think I'd miss the smell of paper, before long.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennjenni) Vicki, never thought I'd get into Kindle, I was so anti for a long time but while I was furiously knitting a scarf as part of present before Christmas, I downloaded the Kindle app and was able to read and knit at the same time, brilliant!! After a few days of this my eyes were quite tired so I looked at the info re Kindle and decided to take the plunge, got mine mid January and absolutely love it, with the euro being better than the dollar, ebooks are working out at around €4/€5. Only one draw back is that not every book is available and/or available for purchase outside the US but so far theres enough available to keep me happy. I know I'll still buy books because I'm too much of a junkie to quit completely as long as I'm reading something and have a few new books to follow I don't now care what format they are and I was seriously running out of space in the house. The kindle is much easier than a book while reading in bed, no fighting with the other side of the book!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments I haven't gone into Chapters in along time think I will wander in over the weekend see if i can nab a bargain.. Maybe if we have book picked for book club I could pick it up while I am in there.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

@Sarah, give Chapter's a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It was more than a year since I'd last shopped there.
@Vicki, I hate to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I just can't give up paper books. It might be just a romantic idea, but how crap would libraries be if they became commonplace. In twenty years I'll probably like one of those old codgers who insists that Vinyl sounds better than Digital.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Declan I agree I much prefer a paper book,I'm nearly computer illiterate ha ha Have no interest in technology and I much prefer curling up on the couch with a good book then sitting with a computer on my lap scrolling through pages. I'm begin to think I'm showing my age all 30 years of it ha ha

message 20: by Dem (new)

Dem Have to say love my paperbacks, love the feel of a book and I love browsing bookshops, can spend forever there, heading for dublin at weekend so will try and check out chapters.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Enjoy ur weekend in Dublin, Hope u have fun city centre will be buzzing with the Rugby been on : )

message 22: by Dem (new)

Dem Thanks Sarah, Looking forward to it.

message 23: by memoirsofgeisha (new)

memoirsofgeisha (shellybelly33) | 8 comments Hi,

Live in the Mid West great shop in Ennis called Sceal Eile market area great range of second hand books also check out any St Vincent De Paul shops and Oxfam Books. I joined my local library this year and find it great, option to go on the website and order the books you want may have to wait a few weeks for the newest books ( currently waiting for The Finkler Question its been a few weeks now) If it is a book I have really enjoyed reading and think i will read again if it is a real keeper i will then buy it, but SAVE MONEY use local libraries. Best option out there i think.

message 24: by Dem (new)

Dem Good for you Vicki, I love the Library and it is great for kids, I just hate waiting for books I want but thats a patience thing!!!

message 25: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Vicki wrote: "Enjoy Dublin Dem, Im there the weekend after next so gonna check out chapters also. I absolutely love browsing in bookshops also, its very theraputic and I only do it when i dont have the 3 little ..."

Sure Vicki, I'll start a poll on that. Nice to know how everyone is experiencing their books.

message 26: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Once you get a decent narrator you'll love it. It's a great alternative and can entertain you when you're doing boring mundane chores etc.

message 27: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Stack | 4 comments Scéal Eile in Ennis is a great bookshop. Also, Charlie Byrnes in Galway is well worth checking out...great books and great deals.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I was in Chapter's today. I bought three books for myself and a stack of Jilly cooper, Jeffrey Archer and John Grisham for my Ma and uncle. A lot of books being cleared for 1e. The second hand section had a lot of great deals on top books, too. 10 books for 22e. I think they're trying to encouraging people in since Waterstones closed.

message 29: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (paolovf) HMV, while very limited, is actually quite good for cheap books. For example, I bought three 'classics' for 6euro in HMV on Henry Street.

I also noticed that some books are alot cheaper compared to the other well known shops, for example 'Rory and Ita' by Roddy Doyle is 4euro in HMV compared to 10euro in Hughes and Hughes.

message 30: by Dem (new)

Dem Went to Chapter's bookshop and it has a fantastic secondhand book section it is really vast and was able to pick up a good few books which I had on my wish list for a long time well worth the visit, spent ages browsing all the different sections. I had never heard of it until it was recommended here thanks Vicki for the thread and to all who posted.!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to go to the old Chapter's a lot. I stopped going for some unknown reason when they moved to Parnell Street. In the last few weeks I've been recommending it to everybody. Anyone in or near Dublin should visit.

message 32: by Dem (new)

Dem I just bought American Godswhich is one of the April nominations and it sounds like a good read, I bought it on the book depository for 5.33 I thought that was a good price and shipping was free.

message 33: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 2 comments Hodges Fidges was always a good place for deals on books in Dublin. Living in Tralee now, easons has some deals but to be honest the best savings are from the book depository online, no delivery charge and a discount on every book. Whatore could ya want!

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) www.bookdepository.co.uk has free postage and a lot of new releases for 4/5euro

have to stop myself buying on it every day! ;)

message 35: by Daragh (new)

Daragh | 16 comments Downstairs in Hodges Fidges has good deals. Selection is small so if don't find something there, I always go up to Chapters on Parnell St. There is also the book store in Georges St Arcade if looking for older/random/not in great condition but cheap books.

message 36: by Joanna (last edited Apr 23, 2011 05:07AM) (new)

Joanna Beachy (lyra13) | 5 comments awesomebooks.com-If you are like me and live in a small town with high price bookshops this site is a godsend!!Bargain bin books £2 each and free delivery-buy 3 books get 4 free!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Vibes and Scribes on Bridge Street in Cork city has a great selection of second hand books. Even their new books tend to be cheaper than Waterstones and Easons. I either buy my books from there or The Book Depositry. I wish I lived close enough to Chapters to shop there, it sounds great.

Where in Middleton is Books for All, Vicki?

message 38: by Marc (new)

Marc Mulligan Hodges Figgis has always been my favourite bookshop in Dublin. Excellent choice + most of the staff seem to be readers as they can engage in conversation re the new Jonathan Franzen, for example. I don't know if they price competitively though. Probably not (since they're owned by HMV).

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) BOOKS UPSTAIRS. love that place. i know it's a bit pricey but it's such a cute bookstore.

Chapters is ridiculously big. It's like a walmart with nothing but books. I haven't ever been in a library as big.

message 40: by Joanna (last edited May 16, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Joanna Hodges Figgis rocks - my flat's about 11 minutes away from it (I timed it - 7 if I REALLY want a book ;)) hence I essentially live in this place. Bargain basement's good bet for a cheap read. Also since Waterstones closed (and since Waterstones owns HF anyway) I've noticed they're starting doing 3 for 2 as well.

Chapters second hand upstairs is great, so are there multiple sales downstairs.

As for real cheap reads - ride the charity shops. I always get a few good reads for about a quid each (sometimes less, more if it's a hardback) - Camden street's great for that, there's a few in a row there. Another few in Rathmines. Also in Rathmines directly opposite Alan Hanna's there's Bookcube (bookshop/gallery). That used to be really cool though I haven't been there in ages and come to think about it I'm not sure it's still there.
Come to think about it I haven't checked Secret Book & Record Store out in a while either (secret in name, there's usually a man with a big sign somewhere around)... All this talking - i think I'm taking myself on a hunt sometime soon, check if all my favorite cheap places are still around.. :)

message 41: by David (new)

David Gaughran (davidgaughran) | 29 comments I love the Secret Record & Book Store. Especially on a Saturday. I always find something interesting.

If you want something different, The Gutter Bookshop in Temple Bar is amazing and the owner will go out of his way to help you. Really nice guy.

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) LOL. like how you were looking at the backdrop. hahaha.

message 43: by Daragh (new)

Daragh | 16 comments Vicki wrote: "Anyone watching the Obama visit on RTE news yesterday would have seen a book shop in the background of the presenters with a sign called "books4less" and loadsa signs saying all books €3 and under...."

I didn't see it but if in Dublin it could be the one just off Dame St and Grafton St. All it has in the windows is white signs saying....something like €3 and under...I see it a lot so don't even look anymore. I'll check it out today when passing

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Vicki wrote: "Anyone watching the Obama visit on RTE news yesterday would have seen a book shop in the background of the presenters with a sign called "books4less" and loadsa signs saying all books €3 and under...."

Yeah I noticed that. It's on College Green.

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) noticed today when you come out of the square shopping centre, is it called the square? you know the one i'm on about anyway, with early learning centre and debenhams and all, in waterford. well the entrance/exit that leads onto dunnes (the women's only dunnes) :: not the exit by the hairdressers/river island/early learning centre, Not that one :: well, there's a book shop in the place that used to be that weird old retro clothes store ... dunno how long that's been gone. only noticed today and last time i went in that clothes shop was before christmas. uhm. i didn't go in, but it looks like the books would be cheap. Yup..