Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Guinness world records

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments I fell into this while working on the "editor" and combined authors issues. There are MANY non-combined editions of the Guinness records books. I already fixed the misspelled (Guiness) titles and I am trying to fix the authors/editors. Pre 1985 is easy as there should be only Norris McWhirter, Ross McWhirter up to 1975 and Norris until 1985 (his retirement) But the years after that have multiple editors assigned randomly per year.

In order to gather these together to address this I have been adding Guinness World Records (existing author) as the LAST author. and then doing the research to correct an edition.

The question is should I leave Guinness World Records as the LAST author so that there is at least one common place to see these? It is already used as the author where there is no editor.

-jon

message 2: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments Status update:
Where their is clear agreement on Editors (mostly before 1986, The known editors will be first and "Guinness World records" will be the last author.
Later editions will have Guinness first, until the correct editors are researched, at which point it is appropriate to move Guinness to last.

I still think it is appropriate to keep Guinness World Records as a common entry, but would welcome input.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42499 comments Mod
Jon wrote: "I still think it is appropriate to keep Guinness World Records as a common entry"

I think that's fine. But I really have no experience with these works (other than knowledge that they exist) -- maybe someone who does would care to comment?

message 4: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments Just to summarize, in case anyone else works on these.
The Guinness records books prior to 1986 all have clear editors. The books after that time with a couple of exceptions, seem to have a different editor identified for each country edition making it hard to combine by year.

1955-1976 all editions Norris McWhirter, Ross McWhirte, Guinness World Records
1977-1986 all editions Norris McWhirter, Guinness World Records
1987- editions Guinness World Records, other editors by name when known will vary by ISBN

At this point the major record books are done and combined by year. Authors are corrected