MI Open Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toni (new)

Toni (cherrycherry) | 10 comments Mod
This thread is for book suggestions. They don't have to be strictly for the club.

I'll start off with 2 books that I just read.

The Book of Tomorrow The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern .
She's a new author to me but I've heard good things about her (and my library has a ton of her books). The book took awhile to grab my interest but by about half way through I couldn't put the book down.

The Spellman Family Series by Lisa Lutz. I'm 40 pages away from finishing the last book in the series and I think I'll be a bit sad when I'm done. It's witty, quirky, well-written and keeps you hooked all the way through. The style is a bit different so I was skeptical at first but once I got used to that I couldn't get through the series fast enough!

message 2: by Toni (new)

Well I'll continue to give this thread some love.

I just reserved the following 2 books at my library, too bad it will take me a month or so to get them! Thought I'd mention them on here in case they interest anyone for the club.

Anyways on to the books: The Radleys and A Discovery of Witches

Thoughts?

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Shepherd | 5 comments I'm actually a fantasy genre kind of person so "A Discovery of Witches" sounds fun.

I am going to be reading a book called "The Bloody Chamber" by Angela Carter. The book is supposed to be her rendition of some of the most famous fairytales. As I understand it, there is a dark twist to all of them, with a hint of feminism!! :) Might be cool to check it out.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori | 3 comments A Discovery of Witches appeals to me.

message 5: by Toni (new)

Lori wrote: "A Discovery of Witches appeals to me."

Awesome. Only problem is that it may take me about a month to get this at the library. Not that I can't buy it but I try to use the library as much as possible.

Here are a few more book suggestions (not ruling out Discovery of Witches, just had these books in mind and didn't want to forget).

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, The Red Tent(this book has been on my bookshelf for 3 yrs now and maybe in a book club I'll actually read it!), The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott(I love Little Women).

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions?

message 6: by Rosalia (new)

Rosalia (RossByTheSea) | 3 comments Hey everyone... where did you all go ;)

message 7: by Toni (new)

Just wondering if we should try and get this going? If anyone is even out there?

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Shepherd | 5 comments Im here but to be honest, I no longer have reading time. Sorry. Life I guess.