Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Children's Books Regarding Teasing/Bullying

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I work in a school...in the special ed. department. I spend a lot of time with a regular ed. 1st grade classroom. Recently, we've had a lot of issues regarding the teasing of others (not just the children in my room, but some in theirs as well)...pointing out differences that are seen as flaws and/or bullying...at a first grade level (i.e. "You're a brat." "Well, your sweatshirt is ugly.").

I'm looking for a book or two that might help us to address this issue and open up communication regarding how to treat others with respect and compassion. I have several books about children with special needs...but, none that deal specifically with the inappropriate teasing of those children (as well as others).

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Dawn, We have an existing thread for bullying books!:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I see you're specifically asking for picture books and the other thread covers all books, but there must be some picture books in there.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank-you, Lisa!!! I didn't see that thread! I'm sure I'll find something in there that will be relevant and educational to the children I work with!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Seeing as the other thread is gone, I'd like to recommend Strawberry Girl. I read it years ago and liked it....

message 6: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6183 comments Mod
Thank you. And if anyone else knows of or remembers any apt titles, please add them here!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Raevyn wrote: "Seeing as the other thread is gone, I'd like to recommend Strawberry Girl. I read it years ago and liked it...."

EDIT: It turns out that's not the book I meant to mention--I just remember a book w. a similar title.

message 8: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6183 comments Mod
Hmm. There was some bullying in Lenski's book, so it still fits. There's also a lot of bullying, and revenge, in Middle School: How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli, and Snake Hill which I just finished but haven't reviewed yet.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Blog of a Bully. A chapter book
Just Kidding Picture book
Each Kindness picture book

message 10: by Elspeth (new)

Elspeth Hall (elspeth_grace) | 141 comments Our library has various book highlighting specific difficulties their titles all run along the lines of

Thomas has Autism

don't know if it will address the bullying per-say but it might help them understand the diferences.