Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Themes > Byronic hero

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Denise | 14 comments I found this on Wikipedia and thought it fit this group perfectly!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_...
Byronic hero
The Byronic hero is an idealised but flawed character exemplified in the life and writings of Lord Byron, characterised by his ex-lover Lady Caroline Lamb (who said it before becoming Byron's lover) as being "mad, bad, and dangerous to know". The Byronic hero first appears in Byron's semi-autobiographical epic narrative poem Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (1812-1818).

The Byronic hero typically exhibits several of the following traits:

1. a strong sense of arrogance
2. high level of intelligence and perception
3. cunning and able to adapt
4. suffering from an unnamed crime
5. a troubled past
6. sophisticated and educated
7. self-critical and introspective
8. mysterious, magnetic and charismatic
9. struggling with integrity
10. power of seduction and sexual attraction
11. social and sexual dominance
12. emotional conflicts, bipolar tendencies, or moodiness
13. a distaste for social institutions and norms
14. being an exile, an outcast, or an outlaw
15. disrespect of rank and privilege
16. jaded, world-weary
17. cynicism
18. self-destructive behavior

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9731 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing this, Denise. I have read about the Byronic hero and I admit I am drawn this type of hero. Lord Byron had some antics that were a little over the top for me, in real life, but I like the idea of that kind of hero, and seeing his redemption by the love of a good woman.

I love to talk about hero/heroine archetypes!

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise | 14 comments Danielle, I don't know if you started The Portrait yet, but Jonas is a perfect example of this type. The Portrait by Megan Chance

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9731 comments Mod
Denise, I haven't started reading it yet, but I will probably start it this week. Trying to finish a book right now. Thanks for lending it to me!

namericanwordcat | 242 comments I have a friend who I call Bryon lol. I worry about his liver.

message 6: by Cherrie (new)

Cherrie (self-describedkindleaddict) | 114 comments This is the first time I have ever heard of the Byronic hero. This is definitely my kind of hero.

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Calder Heart from Brenda Joyce's Deadly series fits this description Deadly Love (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #1) by Brenda Joyce . He doesn't show up until the second novel Deadly Pleasure (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #2) by Brenda Joyce .

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments adding Sometimes a Rogue Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5) by Mary Jo Putney . The whole series was great.