The History Book Club discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
HISTORICAL FICTION > JANE EYRE - BR

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 07, 2017 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bentley | 37386 comments Mod
This thread is for the Jane Eyre Challenge being conducted by goodreads. This thread is open for discussion of that book.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë by Charlotte BrontëCharlotte Brontë

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 17, 2011 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here is the link to the discussion guide for those folks interested:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

And the guide:

http://photo.goodreads.com/misc/12966...

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Since I don't really get out to see movies very often, that is the tough part of the challenge for me! Regardless, I've read Jane Eyre before, although it has been a while, and it would be fun to talk about it. I have to see if I can fit a re-read into my busy reading schedule...

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 18, 2011 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

No problem; it is sort of historical fiction but I am setting this up - because of the goodreads challenge.

Worth discussing even if it takes awhile. This will only be a single thread discussion so use the spoiler html.

(view spoiler)

We would use the bracket < then the word spoiler then another > in front of the spoiler itself.

At the end of the spoiler, we would use a < then a /, then the word spoiler followed by >

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 04, 2011 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Everyone is welcome but make sure to use the goodreads spoiler function.

If you come to the discussion after folks have finished reading it, please feel free to post your comments as we will always come back to the thread to discuss the book.

The rules

You must follow the rules of the History Book Club and also:

First rule of Buddy Read,
Respect other people's opinions, no matter how controversial you think they may be.

Second rule of Buddy Read,
Always, always Chapter/page mark and spoiler alert your posts if you are discussing parts of the book.

To do these spoilers, follows these easy steps;

Step 1. enclose the word spoiler in forward and back arrows; < >

Step 2. write your spoiler comments in

Step 3. enclose the word /spoiler in arrows as above, BUT NOTE the forward slash in front of the word. You must put that forward slash in.

Your spoiler should appear like this;
(view spoiler)

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

And please mark your spoiler clearly like this;

State a Chapter and page if you can.
EG: Chapter 24, page 154

Or say Up to Chapter *___ (*insert chapter number) if your comment is more broad and not from a single chapter.

Examples of spoiler;
Chapter 24 pg 367

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

You may start anytime you would like on this today April 4th. I will put an end date of four weeks out but feel free to still post. We have to include start and end dates for our planning and scheduling purposes.

Make sure to follow posts 4 and 5 to ensure that your posts are not deleted. This is a single thread discussion so remember that folks are at varying points in the reading. Thanks and enjoy.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Okay, I'll be starting later this week. I have read it before, though, so if anyone is ahead of me I may still join in discussing things that happen later in the book than where I am. Spoiler function, here I come! (hee hee)

It'll be nice to discuss with Bentley and Kristi and anyone else who joins in.

message 8: by Elizabeth S (last edited Apr 07, 2011 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments I officially started last night. Actually, I ended up starting the Introduction, which includes a lot of biographical material about Charlotte. Interestingly, Charlotte's official, contemporary biography (written shortly after she died by someone who knew her), was written by Elizabeth Gaskell. I would have had no idea who that was, except a friend sent me "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell a while back and I read it earlier this year.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell by Elizabeth GaskellElizabeth Gaskell

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Very interesting Elizabeth S.

message 10: by Elizabeth S (last edited Apr 08, 2011 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments By the way, I'm reading a Penguin edition of the book:
Jane Eyre  by Charlotte Brontë The cover doesn't look exactly like this, but mine does have the pencil sketch of Charlotte Bronte on it. There is an introduction of about 25 pages by a Q. D. Leavis. It is one of those introductions that refers to plot points throughout the book and contains a lot of spoilers. (Why is that a common trait of "introductions?")

I just looked up Q. D. Leavis and found her on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q._D._Le... Her full name is Queenie Dorothy Leavis. (If my name were Queenie, I'd use "Q." as well. Yeesh.) She is a literary critic. In the Jane Eyre introduction, Leavis makes some interesting comparisons between "her predecessor Jane Austen and her successor George Eliot." Leavis also mentions that Dickens was writing his novels at the same time. I hadn't ever sat down and thought through how these authors related to each other in time, and how they may have influenced each other.

Authors mentioned:
Q.D. Leavis, Jane AustenJane Austen, George EliotGeorge Eliot, and Charles DickensCharles Dickens

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think it is the same with American writers. Look at how the Alcotts, Emersons, and Thoreaus were contemporaries and living next door to each other (Concord, Massachusetts). In fact, if you visit there today, you can visit their homes all on the same street. And even take a short detour to Walden Pond and see Thoreau's cabin where his friends just walked to see him on a frequent basis.

Louisa May AlcottLouisa May Alcott

Henry David ThoreauHenry David Thoreau

Ralph Waldo EmersonRalph Waldo Emerson

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Wow, how interesting! I didn't know that. I'll have to remember that for if I make it back to MA.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

You would love Concord (right next door to Lexington which is great for history too). Concord is a lovely town and there is so much history there. Re-enactments on the old North Bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Nort...

Even Nathaniel Hawthorne lived for a time in Concord at the Old Manse (the Emerson home).

Nathaniel HawthorneNathaniel Hawthorne

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Travel talk like this always makes me want to run out and spend the rest of my life seeing all these great sites. But I also want to read all these great books (almost 600 on my goodreads to-read list), and I also want to improve my piano skills... there just isn't enough time in life for all the good things. :)

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes I know but there is so much history in New England; it really is worth a trip.

message 16: by Elizabeth S (last edited Apr 11, 2011 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments One of the things I am watching for this time as I read is Charlotte's use of books within Jane Eyre. From the introduction in my copy, "One of the interesting and original features of the novel [i.e. Jane Eyre] is the use made of literature - books are referred to for their symbolic meaning." In other words, the books that Charlotte picks to have her characters read help tell the story and help set the feel.

In the very first chapter of Jane Eyre, we see Jane spending time with History of British Birds. The introduction says, "This book provides the child [Jane] with images of storm, shipwreck and disaster, Arctic desolation and Alpine heights, death and mysterious evil -- images which seem to express her own bewildered sense of what life is like, since they correspond with her condition in the home of the Reeds, cruelly oppressed both physically and morally and above all suffering in her isolation from a passionate sense of injustice."

It is one of those subtle things that is fun to notice. Even if you don't notice how Charlotte is using books, it still helps create the feeling and set the stage. And isn't it interesting that this was something "original."

A History of British Birds by Thomas Bewick by Thomas Bewick

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments By the way, I hope no one minds if I call the author "Charlotte" rather than "Bronte" or using her full name. I think it is nice to distinguish her from her sisters, but still not have to put the full name in every time.

Sisters: Emily BrontëEmily Brontë and Anne BrontëAnne Brontë

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Bentley wrote: "Yes I know but there is so much history in New England; it really is worth a trip."

Oh, definitely. It is on the list. It is just a long, long list. Sigh.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Be sure to follow message five when you move off of chapter one.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Bentley wrote: "Be sure to follow message five when you move off of chapter one."

Yup, all ready.

message 21: by Vincent (new) - added it

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1171 comments Bentley wrote: "I think it is the same with American writers. Look at how the Alcotts, Emersons, and Thoreaus were contemporaries and living next door to each other (Concord, Massachusetts). In fact, if you visit..."

there is a Teaching Company course on Emerson which is very good and goes thru these connections.

I would reccomend it if one is inclined to such lectures - maybe available at the local library

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments I've gotten really big on the Teaching Company since I am enjoying my fist selection so much. Expensive to buy, but my library has a lot of them. I don't see the Emerson one, however. Too bad.

(Don't forget the author link, Vince. I know it kinda slips by when we don't mention a specific books.)

Ralph Waldo EmersonRalph Waldo Emerson

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Now, back to Jane...

I had not noticed before that the book was originally published as if it were an autobiography and merely edited by Currer Bell. What a weird name for Charlotte to pick. Is Currer a more common name elsewhere in the world? I've never heard of it.

In addition, I'm glad we are mostly beyond the days when women had to use male names to get their books sold. Although it does go both ways. I know at least one author who is a man using a woman's name, since the books are more written for a female audience.

Madeleine BrentMadeleine Brent

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Interesting tidbit Elizabeth. Currer (interesting).

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Okay, now really back to Jane. Sorry, I keep getting sidetracked.

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Bentley wrote: "Interesting tidbit Elizabeth. Currer (interesting)."

I take it you don't know any Currers either?

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 11, 2011 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nope...and glad you are off and running. Good job with your post in message 25. Folks, Elizabeth has done it perfectly and when talking about the book this is exactly what it should look like for any discussion of the book. Remember this is a one thread discussion and folks could be anywhere in the book and we do not want to spoil it for anyone. Please note above that the comment which is hidden from view in the spoiler html cannot be seen unless clicked open. Additionally, Elizabeth has indicated for everyone what chapter this comment is for. So folks reading earlier chapters would not click "view spoiler".

Good job Elizabeth.

message 28: by Elizabeth S (last edited Apr 11, 2011 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments (blush)

By the way, just realized I forgot to add the book cover/author links back in message #16. Going back to fix it now.

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth S wrote: "(blush)

By the way, just realized I forgot to add the book cover/author links back in message #16. Going back to fix it now."

Just when I was praising you so highly - (smile)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments A couple of thoughts on things in Chapter 4:

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Discussing Helen after finishing Chapter 9:

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

And you are chugging along just like the energizer bunny.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Stilllllllllllllllllllllll going!

message 34: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki Cline | 3178 comments Mod
I just started reading this a few days ago, so I don't know if comments are still allowed. But anyway...

Through Chapter 9:
(view spoiler)

I am enjoying the book a lot. Let me know if the time is up for posting here.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments I finished reading, but I didn't post much more here because I was kinda talking to myself. :) I'd be happy to go through it again with you.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments Vicki wrote: "I just started reading this a few days ago, so I don't know if comments are still allowed. But anyway...

Through Chapter 9:
[spoilers removed]

I am enjoying the book a lot. Let me know if ..."

Response to your Chapter 9 comments:

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments By the way, this is your first time reading Jane Eyre, right?

message 38: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki, comments are always allowed and both of you are adding them the right way so that folks can jump in any time. I am also behind.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments How far are you, Bentley?

message 40: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki Cline | 3178 comments Mod
Yes, Elizabeth, this is my first time reading the book. I keep wondering what it would be like to read it without knowing the plot. Was that your situation?

I'm now up to Chapter 22, and I'm very impressed by her characterizations, particularly Mr. Rochester, but also Aunt Bell and cousins Eliza and Georgiana. And even though I know the plot, I keep wanting to see what happens next.

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2031 comments It has been a long time since I first read Jane Eyre. I've read it 2-3 times since then. I don't even remember if I was tweenish or teenagerish, but I'm pretty sure it was before I graduated high school.

I do remember that I knew nothing about the plot when I first read it. I remember being surprised by (spoiler for the ending of the book following, but someone who has seen the movie will know) (view spoiler).