Dystopias and Social Critiques discussion

Books that aren't as popular...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Feb 17, 2011 03:01PM) (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Yesterday on Twitter, Tor.com ran it's first #torchat - they had 4 authors tweeting away. It was fun. (They will be doing it monthly, every 3rd Wednesday afternoon.)

At any rate, someone asked the authors: What's the best book you've read in the last 10 years that we've never heard of? Greg Bear answered: Yarn by Jon Armstrong.

Yarn looks pretty fascinating, and it's made the 2010 Locus Recommended Reading List. And yet, I've never heard of it, never seen it discussed?!

Being a "fashion dystopia," I thought it was the kind of book that would interest this group. Which leads to the question - any dystopic/post-apocalyptic books that you know of or love that are unusual, uncommon, or obscure?

message 2: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I have Yarn checked out from the library, it does sound interesting and I wondered why it was obscure. I haven't started it yet.

I have mentioned "The Unit" a lot and it doesn't seem to get much response. I though it was great.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the Unit and I really liked it. It wasn't one of my favorites, like, The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, Matched, Unwind, or Birthmarked, but it was a good read. I'm really on a dystopian kick right now, so that's all I'm reading, and I'm enjoying it!

message 4: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I also have Matched and Birthmarked checked out from library!!

some good (depressing) stuff out there.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) I thought The Unit was fantastic as well - certainly not as big of a name as other books.

I guess I'd put Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America on this list. And it's one of my favorite stories!

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie S. | 41 comments Last summer I read this odd book called The Shadow of the Gloom-World. It was a fairly interesting dysopia/PA type book geared toward a younger audience, but it does not seem to be popular at all.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson | 4 comments I recently read Ursula K. Le Guin's The Telling and found it to be a wonderful dystopia. Technically it's science fiction, but like many of Le Guin's works the sci-fi cloaks some rich intellectual social commentary. It's about a planet that has outlawed all forms of religion.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I loved The Unit! I've heard of Yarn before, and put it on my tbr list, but haven't read it yet. Glad to hear that Greg Bear says it's worth the read.

I haven't seen Shades of Grey getting a lot of attention, either, and I thought it was very well done. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Graff (sgraffwriter) | 6 comments The best kinds of books are good stories that cross genre boundaries. THE ROAD is futuristic, could be labeled as science fiction, but has the classic elements of the journey, family relationships, adventure. It can be faulted for not being overly specific about how its future turned out the way it did, but the eerie atmosphere that is conjured up by what it leaves out is part of what makes it work so well. I don't like books that are overly technical or have too much exposition/explanation. Let the reader fill in the blanks.

message 10: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I imagine that Yarn will not appeal to a wide audience. maybe i am wrong, it was odd, and futuristic, but I found it appealing because I sew and knit, and the terminology was intriguing to me. I think without those 'insider' knowledge of terms, it might not be as fun for a reader.