New Orleans discussion

Favorite New Orleans or Louisiana novels?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Of the three the only one I've read is Dunces which I really enjoyed.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Lolita is one of my favorites. The time they spent in the French Quarter was enjoyable but too brief.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) @ Parishreader
I searched CSCoNW clicked on one of the editions but so info on give away. Thanks I'll keep looking.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) That was it. I am in. Thanks

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 11 comments The Coffee Shop Chronicles of New Orleans by David Lummis
CIty of Refuge by Tom Piazza
Gumbo Tales by Sara Roahen
just to name a few..

message 7: by Edward (new)

Edward Branley (yatpundit) | 9 comments haven't read Coffee Shop Chronicles yet. Overall classic/best is "Dunces" of course. I also enjoyed Poppy Z. Brite's "Liquor" novels (Liquor, Prime, Soul Kitchen)-great insight into the New Orleans restaurant world. James Lee Burke's "Robichaux" novels are primarily set in Soutwest Louisiana, but when he does bring the characters into metro New Orleans, he is quite accurate.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 11 comments oh...how could I not mention Poppy Z. Brites' "Liquor" novels? sure would like a new one to read. Have also read all of JLB "Robichaux" novels...he does such a great job with beautiful descriptions.

message 9: by Edward (new)

Edward Branley (yatpundit) | 9 comments well, there's "Second Line" which has an early Rickey/G-Man story and the novella "D*U*C*K" that came out year before last. Poppy's more-or-less retired now, but who knows, that may change in the future...

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) @ Parishreader

Well I won the Coffee Shop give away but I had already purchased it for my Kindle.
Dumb ass! Old age is a bitch.
I contacted David to see if Goodreads could pick someone else if not we will have our own give away.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 11 comments I have my own copy too but if I won thought Coffee Shop would make a great birthday gift for my daughter-in-law. Actually, might still get her a copy.

message 12: by Edward (new)

Edward Branley (yatpundit) | 9 comments i'm surprised Coffee Shop was only available for Kindle. I bought it that way and am reading it on my Android Tablet, but I found it interesting that it wasn't on BN.com for the Nook (my preferred e-book reading platform)

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I told the publisher's rep to go ahead and send it to me. When I rcve it we will have a give away here on the New Orleans site.