Banned Books Club discussion

Gone with the Wind-Scarlet

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Ok, Let's talk about Scarlet. Who I like to call "Scarlet the little bitch", hahahaha! Sorry, I will be nice.

But am I the only one who thinks she is extremely selfish, shallow, not very smart, delusional, and heartless? This is comparing her to Melanie, who is the exact opposite of Scarlet. Melanie was sensitive, compassionate, obviously well read, and selfless. She's the only female whom Rhett Butler truly admired.

Why did Mitchell portray Scarlet that way? Her heroine in the novel. Or was she the heroine? Perhaps Melanie was...

The bonnet incident. "On the other hand, if she permitted one chaste peck, he might bring her other lovely presents in the hope of getting another kiss." My god! What a little whore! I suppose this is what Satia was referring to before, the part of her personality that's very similar to her father's. If she wanted something, she'd do anything to get it. What left a bad taste in my mouth was the fact that she's only 17 when she thought that...

message 2: by Satia (new)

Satia I really cannot comment because I know more about where this story is going. I hope someone who is new to Gone With the Wind can jump in. Otherwise, to be honest, my perspective is skewed due to 20/20 hindsight.

message 3: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments There is hope for Scarlet yet?!? ;)

message 4: by Satia (new)

Satia Hmmmm . . . is there hope for Scarlett? I dare not say.

message 5: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments I can't wait to start talking about Rhett Butler...

message 6: by Satia (new)

Satia And here we go again . . . ouch, my tongue!!!

message 7: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments LOL!!! My bad!!

message 8: by Okie (new)

Okie (okiecavies) | 2 comments I always thought Scarlett represented white slave owning families in the south. I've read 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' and 'The Kitchen House', and her attitude really seems to reflect the apparently blind, shallow, apathetic attitude towards the humanity of their own slaves, as depicted in those two books. [my apologies for obviousness & probable pronoun ref problems].

message 9: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Ok, I finished the book finally. Sorry it took me so long, even though I was very eager to see if Scarlett gets a bad ending. :) Lol! Yes, even now I dislike Scarlett as much as before. And I still do not understand why she gets more attention from readers in general than Melanie? Scarlett's machivellian nature is disgusting, her delusions frustrating, her soullessness despicable... And she is just so stupid.

She used people without blinking an eye, she ruined so many people's lives just for money; I am not proud of her as a female character who rises out of chaos. One can be just as strong and still retain the humanity within. Melanie in comparison, was a saint, while Scarlett the selfish grinch.

For me, it wouldn't been so frustrating if she wasn't so blind and destroyed Rhett (among many others) in the process. She is like the scatterbrain fashion-victim nowadays with her "I will think of it tomorrow" attitude.

It's very interesting to read Margaret Mitchell's own opinion of Scarlett through different characters' mouths. She didn't have very high opinion of Scarlett, only Scarlett's strength was something she truly praised. Everything Scarlett lacks—honor, understanding, compassion, insight, self-observation..., HUMANITY, were embedded in Melanie; what Melanie lacks—a strong physical body, Scarlett has. A perfect woman would be the merge of the two. (Although Melanie was very close to it already.)

message 10: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments I am going to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for sure.

message 11: by Satia (last edited Mar 26, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

Satia Since I took the trouble to vilify Rhett to the best of my abilities, I am now going to come to dear Scarlett’s defense.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments (view spoiler)

message 13: by Satia (new)

Satia Well, here is where my having to return the book before we got to where we were finishing it is a disappointment. I can't really discuss the things that come up after part 3 with any depth because I haven't read them in nearly 30 years.

Easter isn't too far away and I will borrow the book again to finish it. Perhaps we'll still be discussing it by then. *sigh*

message 14: by Satia (new)

Satia I was just pondering Scarlett after talking with a writer I know about characters and it occurred to me that there is very little about Scarlett to like, my defense of her notwithstanding.

So why do we, the reader, care what happens to her? What is it about the character, unlikable as she is, that compels us to read over 1000 pages of her story or sit through nearly 4 hours of a movie?

message 15: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Half way through the book, I asked the same question to myself. And the answer came instantly: "I want to see how Scarlett falls."

The famous quote, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." was already in my radar from the very beginning. Hence I was aware of the possibly tragic ending between her and Rhett. The second half of the book, I was more eager to find out whether their relationship would possibly have a good ending and that the famous quote was not at the very end.

I think her being so unlikeable also gives the readers the desire to find out whether she will ever grow up and learn the value of humanity. We know about her delusion of her love for Ashley, her pettiness toward Melanie, and all the little selfish things she's done to the people around her. I have read some reviews where readers would reject her at the first 50 pages and dropped the book. I myself am more devious, I wanted to see her fall because she's so awful. Lol!

message 16: by Julie (last edited Jun 03, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Julie S. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments And it's different from the movie to the book version, additional words "my dear". Which one do you prefer?

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I think that "my dear" added to the hurt that Scarlett felt. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Yes. I agree. Especially with Clark Gable's Rhett, the dancing devil light in his eyes certainly brings out the sarcasm to the forefront.