Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

The last?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lies (new) - rated it 1 star

Lies Van Rompaey Hi

Is this really the last book in the series?

After "The Wheel of Time" I promised myself I'd never start another unfinished series.

YT

Deborah Yes.

message 3: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea Yes it is.

Tory sadly yes :(

Chelsea Northrop Yepp sadly

Alexandra G Well what end did you search for, I think that the end was perfect.

Kendall Anne YES!! No way I would want more, the ending it just fine the way it is!

Desiree *Primrose* I'm glad there's no more to the story. The books have so much in the all ready if Suzanne Collins wrote more or wrote a followup it would just ruin the story. A prequel maybe...

Kendall Anne yes I agree!!!!!!

message 11: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Sadly yes, but I think Collin's did a good job ending by satisfying the readers. However, it would be really interesting if she wrote a prequel about Katniss's and Peeta's child...

Johanness Yes, (oh god please let it be the last).
The author could be mean and use gales son and katniss daughter to re-start the games again, but I'm pretty sure they won't.

Kendall Anne oh no that would be horrible.....

Shivani dont you guys think the ending was rushed a little?

message 15: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Shivani wrote: "dont you guys think the ending was rushed a little?"

Yup! I thought the same... I would have liked to read more about Peeta and Katniss, since they FINALLY ended up together for good!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeahh Shivani.
Also the author came to where i live and i asked her if she was going to make anymore books on the same topic and she said she was done.

Kendall Anne yes! That would have been nice, BUT I still like the ending...

Nevena I thought the very end was really good but a bit rushed. However it should be the end I don't think another book is a good idea since it probably wouldn't be as amazing as mockingjay....a prequel tho could be really good

message 19: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara ohhh... a prequel i would like! yes! nice! :D

Peter A bit off topic, though someone already mentioned the end ;)

I loved book 1 and 2. Book 3 wasnt good and the ending was terrible. Im sorry, but I want semmi-happy endings in my books at least. If I wanted to see unhappy endings I just look at the world news.

Tbh. I think Book 3 and the ending of the series were weak. Its easy to write an unhappy ending, and so is writing a happy ending. Writing a semi-happy ending is a lot harder, if you want to make it realistic too.

This series has a weird kind of semi-unhappy ending.
All in all I felt cheated out of a great ending of a great series... (Book 1 and 2 anyway)

Imo, there arent room for a 4th book.

Olivia I wish there was another book to the series, but I don't know what Suzanne Collins would put in it!

Avital It is and sorry, but THANK GOD IT IS!
I mean, don't get me wrong but HG was one of the best books I've ever read.
But CF was okay, and Mockingjay was just disappointing.
The end was missing something, and the whole thing in the Capitol wasn't really interesting.
And seriously, killing Finnick?! What was she thinking?

Laura Peter wrote: "A bit off topic, though someone already mentioned the end ;)

I loved book 1 and 2. Book 3 wasnt good and the ending was terrible. Im sorry, but I want semmi-happy endings in my books at least. If ..."

I absolutely agree with you! The part "If I wanted to see unhappy endings I would just look at the world news." is so hilarious:) Thank you!

Paula Avital wrote: "It is and sorry, but THANK GOD IT IS!
I mean, don't get me wrong but HG was one of the best books I've ever read.
But CF was okay, and Mockingjay was just disappointing.
The end was missing something, and the whole thing in the Capitol wasn't really interesting.
And seriously, killing Finnick?! What was she thinking?"

I totally agree with you assessment of the 3 books, Avital.

message 25: by Katie (last edited Apr 04, 2011 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie Smith I loved HG series and was on the edge of my seat the entire series. But I totally agree about Finnick! That was the one death that I was really upset about. Didn't see it coming and it just seemed cruel since he was so happy finally. I didn't think it was really needed. The ending was only some what happy. I wanted more resolution than them just surviving being sort of half happy, but while waiting to see when humanity would screw up again

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ Yes it is the last book. But Mockingjay is such a disappointment for me. I mean, its anticlimactic and.. ugh, i expected so much more. The book is good...its just how it ended that bugs me.

Samantha I thought this book would be the whole sha-bang. But it sort of flattened out by the end.

Camilla Belle Shivani wrote: "dont you guys think the ending was rushed a little?"

yeah lol I agree, right after I finished it, it felt like there was a couple of things missing, I would have liked to see more between Peeta and Katniss right after everything goes back to "normal"

Carmen Loved the first two but was disappointed with the last one.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah me too, but I still liked the series.

Olivia Katie wrote: "I loved HG series and was on the edge of my seat the entire series. But I totally agree about Finnick! That was the one death that I was really upset about. Didn't see it coming and it just seemed ..."

I was so disappointed when Finnick died! He was such a likebale character. Even though it was very sad, it showed how much the rebels sacrificed for Katniss to live. It added to the drama.

Caitlin Pierson The books became steadily worse throughout the trilogy. Hunger Games was absolutely amazing, Catching Fire was a it disappointing but still pretty good, and Mockingjay just wasn't good. It didn't end the trilogy with a bang. A fourth book would take it too far.

Nevena I found only the very end disappointing I don't really like those kind of endings I find them rushed and rather boring. Like oh and btw this happened

BookCupid I still give her props.

The ending was depressing. But it could have never been happy. They all suffered so much. I like the fact that she didn't leave her characters unharmed, with a single scratch like some authors do.

message 35: by Courtney (last edited Apr 06, 2011 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Courtney Shivani wrote: "dont you guys think the ending was rushed a little?"

Holy crap yeah! I LOVED the series but I absolutely HATED the ending! It felt way too rushed and almost like she wasn't quite sure how she wanted to end it. While I didn't like the fact that Katniss ended up choosing Peeta over Gale (sorry I'm a Gale lover), I could have lived with that fact more had she not rushed the ending so much and tied things up too neatly. Sure, Katniss still has bad dreams occasionally, but her mother conveniently not coming home so that she wouldn't have to include her in the story anymore, Katniss and Peeta pretty much falling back into their same old rhythm of life, and then WOAH! She actually agreed to have a child with Peeta when from the very beginning of Hunger Games she says she would never want to. I don't know, I just had a really hard time with everything being tied up too nicely. Don't get me wrong I love stories where everything is all figured out and hunky dory, but after her sister died, everything else was wrapped up too nicely (including the death of both the potential leader of the country and President Snow).

message 36: by Kerri (last edited Apr 06, 2011 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kerri I too loved the first two books and was disappointed with the third. Here are some of the things that bothered me about the third book.
1. It was depressing as hell.. I kept waiting for something good to happen - anything.
2. Finnick leaves his pregnant newlywed love of his life who they were finally able to rescue from their district - to go on a dangerous mission with Katniss.
3. Finnick dies a sudden beheading death and Katniss hardly seems to notice.
4. After everything that Katniss goes through to save her sister, Prim dies a horrible death (blown up by bombs that Gale might have made? - really are you serious?) right in front of her.
5. The fact that Gale who provides for his family and Katniss' family while she was in the games and he is a nature lover and yet here he is making bombs to blow up people????
6. Then it mentions that Gale has a fancy job in district two and is seen on television every now and then.... does that sound like Gale?
7. Then Katniss is exiled to her burnout district 13 with Haymitch who is back to his drunken self and her last surviving family member - her mother refuses to come visit her???
8. and finally - the worst wrap up of a great love story ever written in my opinion - written in just a couple of sentences and then followed up with an epilogue explaining how Katniss has two children with Peeta... no explanation of how she changes her mind to get to that point just a quick afterthought.

Needless to say I am very disappointed in the third book but only because the first two were so great!!!!

message 37: by Paula (last edited Apr 07, 2011 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paula The third book was an extreme disappointment to me. I even bought a Mockingjay Bookmark thong in anticipation of the release of Mockingjay.

The actions of the established characters made no logical or emotional sense to me. And though Collins does have the right to change the paths of the people we've growth to love or hate, readers often demand that said characters remain true to the the basic personality the writer has created for them. I didn't see that in many of the main characters. However, I could live with that.

I was bored to the max with the recycled atrocities Kat and her team faced fighting their way through Capitol City. It was the same thing over and over again. The monsters were different and the poeple slaughtered were, of course, different. Collins just wanted to grossly and indiscriminately eliminate almost everyone of the team and for what? To give Kat a reason to go into a deep funk? Prim dying was so far out there that I rolled my eyes when I should have felt sad. I loved Prim. I did like the book after Kat got to Snow's building. The story redeemed itself a little after that point.

I do see Kat's mother not supporting her in anyway. That was their relationship. I don't see her as a strong woman running a hospital. If she were a strong woman, she would have wrapped her arms around Kat and tried her best to heal her daughter. The ending of the book didn't bother me, since by that time I didn't really care.

I am glad that Peeta and Gale survived.

'Hunger Games' rule. 'Mockingjay' has to be the end of the series. The completion of the story was too final.

Rishelle yes it is the last book. but ive heard rumors that she is going to write accompaniments about different people. again these are just rumors.

Jacob Hires I really didn't like this book much. On top of being incredibly repetitive and not much detail in most of the writing, I went into it expecting it to be some epic war flick, with lots of bloody actions and tonnes of death and all that goodness. While yes, there were a few actions sequences that seemed to stand out, most of it was really really slow. Took forever to get moving.
The best part of the book was the ending climax. The thing is, the journey there was rather boring and just kinda fallowed Katniss around as essentially a useless mascot, not the epic war hero I was expecting her to be.
Plus, Suzane doesn't really seem like she knows how to write a successful war book, as the whole concept of Capital being all "candy land" looking kinda killed the idea of a war for me. Plus there was no down and dirty war scenes through out the book, with thousands of infantry battling it out to the turning point of the war. I'd think that such a battle would be a set piece in the middle of the book.
Shouldn't a book be more about the journey to the end, rather than the end destination?

Paula Yes, the journey would be the most important aspect of a book, for me amyway. I may not remember the scene exactly, but in one scene before the whole Capitol City adventure, Katniss was visiting one of the towns. The town was attacked by Snow's soldiers. Katniss made a rash move, got up on the roof of a building, and shot arrows into the sky, hitting whatever and saving the day. I said to myself "Yay, Kat's back!". That's what I wanted to see.

Bjorn-The Last Viking I thought her sister dying in the ending was way to strange. When I read that part. I didnt get it at first. I was like...wait. what just happened? And I only found out that it was her sister who died at the end. I would of totally rewritten the book where they killed snow in the 9secret) mission. It would of been better. But I would of killed off the whole rest of the team. :P Arnt I a cruel person?

Nevena Diana wrote: "Bjorn-The Last Viking wrote: "I thought her sister dying in the ending was way to strange. When I read that part. I didnt get it at first. I was like...wait. what just happened? And I only found ou..."

I thought it was so sad too but it seems to be the only way she could have decided between Peeta and Gale.

Tamara Bjorn-The Last Viking wrote: "I thought her sister dying in the ending was way to strange. When I read that part. I didnt get it at first. I was like...wait. what just happened? And I only found out that it was her sister who d..."

lol the eneding was pretty messed up when prim got blown up!! i liked the series tho:)

Tamara finnick died!!! it killed me inside:(

message 45: by Serena (new) - added it

Serena someonew who finelly feels my pain!!

FINNICK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 46: by Kenzy (new) - added it

Kenzy I think the ending was rushed, yes. I'd like to know more about Katniss and Peeta's little family. I don't totally understand what happened to Prim, at the end. Could someone help me? Lol

message 47: by Kerri (last edited Apr 11, 2011 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kerri She was blown up by a little parachute bomb (probably) made by Gale.

Just wrong - on so many levels. :(

Tamara Kerri wrote: "She was blown up by a little parachute bomb (probably) made by Gale.

Just wrong - on so many levels. :("

yes u see!! gale blew up prim!!

Shivani Kenzy wrote: "I think the ending was rushed, yes. I'd like to know more about Katniss and Peeta's little family. I don't totally understand what happened to Prim, at the end. Could someone help me? Lol"

OMG! Me too! Do I know you from somewhere? (;

Sarah Isn't that the whole point? Or perhaps you are missing it. War is ugly, sad, and does not make sense. Which is why book 3 was perfect. "Likable" characters are not immune to the violence in wars. And it would of been completely unrealistic if Katniss's whole family was unharmed at the end of the story when everyone else's suffered immensely.

« previous 1