Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > HF Wikipedia Lists and Translated Novels

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (last edited Feb 17, 2011 10:36AM) (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments Hi everyone. I'm new to this so I'm sorry if you've all visited this page before but I decided to beef up my TBR list with hf that is not Eurocentric. I found this wonderful list of historical novels organized by geographical area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

So as I was perusing this list, I was baffled by the number of translations. Has anyone ever read a historical fiction book that has been translated from another language? I've read translated books before but not a novel. I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter!

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Marissa, there are vey many historical fiction novels translated from other languages. I like these b/c you get another insight into the different cultures. I can recommend The Homecoming Party, which I recently read. You should also check out the site Words without Borders, which has translated books. These are not all historical fiction. If you are interested I have lots of other translated novels. Pick a particular country, look at that shelf and pick out the books that say historical fiction and have an author that appears "not English".

Thank you for your list. I will go check it out now!

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Bertsch (philosophe) Marissa,

Try In a Dark Wood Wandering: A Novel of the Middle Ages. It is set in 15th Century France, during the Hundred Years' War. It was written in 1949, and the translation is delightful.

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 19, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Chrissie I have only read 8 pages of this translated HF bookPortrait of the Mother as a Young Woman, but I am impressed!

ETA The book definitely drags later! Just a warning....

message 5: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) Ahem, if any one is interested in the Chinese classic, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I have just published a selection and translation of 21 out of 120 chapters as The Battle of Chibi--the original contains about 800,000 words and 1,000 persons/characters. See my blog for some elaboration regarding my retelling and the process of my writing: http://hockgtjoa.blogspot.com/

message 6: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments Hock wrote: "Ahem, if any one is interested in the Chinese classic, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I have just published a selection and translation of 21 out of 120 chapters as The Battle of Chibi--the ori..."

Thank you! I've added it to my TBR list! It looks wonderful!

message 7: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 184 comments Thanks for the link, Marissa! I've bookmarked that page. One of my favorite series of HF was translated: Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. I didn't remember which Scandinavian country it was from, but the Wiki page said it was Norwegian.

message 8: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments Faith wrote: "Thanks for the link, Marissa! I've bookmarked that page. One of my favorite series of HF was translated: Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. I didn't remember which Sc..."

I believe I have it on my to-read list. Now that I know someone recommends it, I'll try to get to it sooner rather than later.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Speaking of Scandinavian authors, check out the Swedish author Per Olov Enquist. The Royal Physician's Visit was great. Now I also want to read The Book about Blanche and Marie, also by POE.