What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Pritcher Mass
This topic is about The Pritcher Mass
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Plague causes sores on throat and death. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments I'm looking for an old science fiction book about a future where the cities are domed to protect from a plague that causes sores on the the throat and eventual death. A train wreck causes a man to be exposed. Later he's trapped outside the protected cities but he doesn't get sick. He's looking for others who survive but all seem to die eventually. At the end he discovers he has psychic(?) power and that all humans have the power to band together to cleanse the earth of the disease.

I'm not sure I'm remembering all the facts correctly...

message 2: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas | 22 comments I have no idea, but I want to read it!

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments It was a great old book from by one of the sci-fi masters (I think) and it's been driving me crazy trying to remember.

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip (philiphabecker) | 24 comments Sounds a quite like The Stand - the disease caused the throat to swell up, people ended up having psychic powers and banding together...

The train part makes me think it's a false lead though.

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments Thanks Philip. I just looked at The Stand and that's not it.

The people of the earth weren't wiped out in the book I'm looking for. I think the disease was caused by spores that came from pollution or something like that so they domed the cities to keep the pollution/spores out. It causes visible sores on the throat. (I'm sure about that.)

When the guy gets stranded outside he hears rumors of one person who didn't die after a couple of months the way everyone else does from the disease. He thinks maybe it is someone else immune like him. (There had never been even one person who survived the disease before.) He searches for the person but it turns out to be a series of persons. When one died, someone else finds the house and supplies and takes over until he dies too. It made it seem as if one person was surviving. The man was really upset and snuck back into the city after that.

I can't remember what happens next exactly. I think there was something about people constructing something in space to reach god or escape earth or something. The thing they were making was made by psychic powers I think. (I'm not 100% sure I'm not mixing this part up from another book.)

Then at the end the man leads everyone to cleanse the earth and either finish the thing in space or render it unnecessary. (I forget exactly.)

Darn! It was such a good book and I've been trying to find it for years.

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments Peter at rec.arts.sf.written found the title for me. This book is called The Pritcher Mass by Gordon R. Dickson.

Thanks everyone!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments It's not in the Goodreads' database that I can find. Feel free to add it to Goodreads, and also to our shelves if you'd like.

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments It's there:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74...

My library has it also so I'm on my way to check it out. I read this in the 70s and have been remembering it on an off since then but never remembered the title. :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks, kb!

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16843 comments The Pritcher Mass for the clickable link.