What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > earth pulled away from the sun [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments I'm looking for a very old science fiction book about a comet or something that pulls the earth away from the sun. Earth freezes. Some survivors have to cut up the frozen chunks of the atmosphere to melt for air to breathe.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments "A Pail of Air" Fritz Leiber

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments That could be it though the title doesn't sound familiar. Now that I remember, it wasn't a full length book I don't think. I was big into reading sci-fi short stories in the 70s.

My library has several books by Leiber, maybe some will contain this story. I'll have to take a look at them.

Thanks Dawn! (I'll post back if I find it.)

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments betcha a donut it's the story :) I love that story, lol.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments I remember it too! Found it in Baen's free library here:

http://www.webscription.net/chapters/...

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomjovo) | 7 comments I think it's "A Pailful of Air". From memory a short story? Can't remember the author though. A scientist saw the event coming, no one would listen, so he prepared his family and their apartment (!) and they survived on stored food, and melting buckets of frozen air by the fire. The physics might be terrible but I seem to recall I enjoyed the idea and the story, about thirty years ago?

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments That link in Carolyn's post takes you right to it :)

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomjovo) | 7 comments Thanks for that - haven't read it in a very long time, but I hadn't forgotten it. Very strange story!!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I remember reading this story, too. They had an improvised "air lock" of a series of blankets, as I recall. You're right that the physics might be iffy. It was a bleak story.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments That story STICKS in one's memory.

But yeah, the physics are totally iffy. I mean, they were burning coal for heat... what happens to the smoke when it goes up the smoke-stack, and then freezes before expelling out into the vacuum?

message 11: by Gene (new)

Gene (vilstef) | 17 comments Leiber wrote many memorable stories-and Pail of Air is on the short list of his best.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Sent a PM to the OP, so hopefully this can get moved out of the PS folder either back to Unsolved or (hopefully) to Solved.

message 13: by Karen (last edited Jul 03, 2013 08:38AM) (new)

Karen (sherides) | 11 comments Thank you so much! That's the right story.