Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Foods you're embarrassed to admit you like/liked

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Feb 17, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have never bought a loaf of white bread in my life, nor non-health food peanut butter. I have been known to mock those who would buy a box of pre-made peanut butter sandwichs rather than just making that easiest of foods. Nevertheless, while working at camp I became hopelessly addicted to grape-jelly-and-peanut-butter Uncrustables. I liked them semi-frozen, even, so I would grab a couple from the walk-in before heading out to drive kids into the middle of nowhere so that by lunchtime they'd be semi-defrosted.
::Hangs head in shame::

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I think we need two categories: embarrassment over items consumed while completely straight, and embarrassment, dismay and perplexity over items consumed while completely loaded.

In the first category I had a very brief fling with Cheetos which shames me to this day. In the latter category, while loaded I have put things in a pan or skillet and attempted to cook them, whether they were actually food or not. And eaten them. And enjoyed them. And lived.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of sober, since we already have a thread or two about the grossest/weirdest things you've ever eaten, many of which involve intoxication.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like a bunch of things frozen that are meant to be defrosted, as another example.
If I freeze fresh blueberries to use later in smoothies, I end up eating them all before the smoothie happens. I'll also eat frozen peas straight from the freezer.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookie dough. I can't leave it alone.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Gefilte fish!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lori wrote: "Gefilte fish!"

I've never developed a taste for that one.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Not many do. :D But with some horseradish, yum.

message 9: by Heidi (last edited Feb 17, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Lori wrote: "Not many do. :D But with some horseradish, yum."

Yum is right. Also good fried up.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I like Corned Beef Hash. From a can. With poached eggs.

Roomates have laughed at me. Called my food "dog food."

I don't care. It tastes like a happy Saturday morning to me.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I like Corned Beef Hash from a can too Sally. It has been years since I've had it though.

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i eat spam sometimes. i like a lot of suspicious meats.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) CBH & poached eggs is one of my not-so-guilty pleasures, too.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Restaurants try to make it all fancy. I don't like that. I wonder if I would like Spam if I tried it too?

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Restaurants try to make it all fancy. I don't like that. I wonder if I would like Spam if I tried it too?"

try it chopped up with pasta, vegetables and a red sauce.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments and while you're cooking, have some cold spam as a snack :)

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Is it basically a hot dog in a can?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yum. That's the way I like to cook, too.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, also...

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Love the action photo!

message 22: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Is it basically a hot dog in a can?"

at the least very similar.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Cheese.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Squeeze cheese... that's what I called it when I was a kid. I liked to artfully decorate my crackers with it.

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Pop Tarts.

message 26: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Heidi, do not be embarrassed about likin' cracklins, honey. They are awesome.

Okay, y'all know those XXL Chalupas from Taco Bell/Hell? OMG. I had a total of two (non-consecutively), and I felt like a terrible human being for eating them, but I liked them.

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Feb 17, 2011 12:08PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments iBritt wrote: "Heidi, do not be embarrassed about likin' cracklins, honey. They are awesome."

I agree on the fact that they're awesome, Britt (especially when they're freshly made). It's just... they're, like, fried fried fatty pork - double fried fat (with a side of meat). It wasn't until I started traveling that I became self-conscious of eating fried stuff... esp the fried fried stuff. I haven't had them in ages, though.

I won't eat 'em if they're prepackaged... just the freshly made variety (which I only ever see in Louisiana when I go home to visit family... which is maybe once every year-2 years).

::googles XXL chalupas::

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Chalupa. Gotta love that word.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry wrote: "Chalupa. Gotta love that word."

I had a sudden picture of a new Jewish-Mexican food hybrid: the Challupah.

I tried a google image search to see if anyone had invented this yet, and was disconcerted to get the following images:

I'm assuming all of these are pets that someone has named Chalupa because I don't want to think of the other options.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments That last one looks like my daughter's chinchilla! She is currently in my care, as E. does not live in a pet-friendly apartment.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cynthia wrote: "That last one looks like my daughter's chinchilla! She is currently in my care, as E. does not live in a pet-friendly apartment."

Is her name Chalupa? The chinchilla, not your daughter.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
Sarah Pi wrote: "I have never bought a loaf of white bread in my life, nor non-health food peanut butter. I have been known to mock those who would buy a box of pre-made peanut butter sandwichs rather than just mak..."

I've been having kind of a dyslexic eye lately so I read that as "Unscrutables."

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
If I'm buying some low-rent box of packaged snacks, say Hostess Suzy Qs or Little Debbie creme-filled oatmeal cookies, or Little Debbie Donut Sticks (I highly recommend the latter), depending on what store I'm in (stores in the ghetto do not judge), I won't get in the same line as yuppies whose baskets are filled with organic kale and fresh strawberries.

message 34: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Blue steak. I never eat steak in public as a result.
&
Hamburger helper with some cherry cola or something equally sweet.

message 35: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I'm not too embarrassed about this, but give me a cucumber, some vingear, and salt & pepper, and I will love you forever.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

You are very easily satisfied Britt.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) iBritt wrote: "I'm not too embarrassed about this, but give me a cucumber, some vingear, and salt & pepper, and I will love you forever."

Throw in some croutons, tomatoes and olive oil into that mix and it's on.

message 38: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart OH! Comfort Food? Fried Egg and Bologna sandwich.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches are quite good.

message 40: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart how do you fry peanut butter?

message 42: by Félix (last edited Feb 18, 2011 04:53AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Very carefully, uBritt. Very carefully.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "That last one looks like my daughter's chinchilla! She is currently in my care, as E. does not live in a pet-friendly apartment."

Is her name Chalupa? The chinchilla, not your daug..."

Nope. Her name is Sage.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments iBritt wrote: "how do you fry peanut butter?"

The sandwiches are cooked like a grilled cheese in a skillet. :)

message 45: by Jammies (new)

Jammies iBritt wrote: "how do you fry peanut butter?"

Britt, you make fried or grilled PB sandwiches just the same way you make grilled cheese--make a PB sandwich, butter the outside, fry it in a pan or stuff it in the Foreman grill, cook. I love grilled PB sandwiches and I am not ashamed of that love.

For me, the food love that dare not speak its name is Totino's pizza rolls. *hangs head in shame*

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Cross post. :)

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments @Heidi: Boudin and Craklins are great! I make sure I stock up whenever I go visit my grandmother in Lafayette.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I love eating the pickles from MacDonald burgers. My kids hand theirs over.

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments You can have mine, too, Gail.

We used to make those pickles scream! We would put them on the grill, then take our metal searing tool and push down hard on the pickle. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It was fun.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I love eating the pickles from MacDonald burgers. My kids hand theirs over."

You can have mine too.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.