Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Traitor's Knot - first impressions, No spoilers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Today the discussion begins Traitor's Knot, which accelerates the pace and begins ARC III's convergency - here's a place to give your impressions of the book and series to date without spoilers - so people not familiar or hesitant about starting in can get a sense of how you feel about your experience.

No spoilers please.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3277 comments Mod
Diving in to this later this evening!

message 3: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kathi wrote: "Diving in to this later this evening!"

Forwent your break, did you? ;)

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3277 comments Mod
Actually, no, I read In the Garden of Iden in about 2 days. That was my break...

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Kathi, you are in for a treat. Give my love to Arithon.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2314 comments Mod
Ok, so I'm a year late, but I started this last night :)

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Shel wrote: "Ok, so I'm a year late, but I started this last night :)"

Woot!

message 8: by Alissa (last edited Mar 10, 2015 04:18AM) (new)

Alissa | 171 comments Peril's Gate was an incredible read and so far Traitor's Knot is going in the same direction, full of suspense.
I love the series and the way the story unfolds, the first two volumes of the Alliance of Light lay down a lot of groundwork for the story; I think up till Vastmark (end of Arc 2), the story branches, there are many details but we mainly follow Arithon and Lysaer, there's lot of action while we get familiar with the complex world of Athera (just how much complex I'm barely beginning to realize, and the action spans only five kingdoms!), then with Fugitive Prince the scope of events broadens, the many factions into play becomes more evident (but the "more evident" is full of nuances, as I became aware reading on!) and the focus on the characters tightens, the choral action counts and my care for most of them deepened, which is not that common, I mean, to be eager to read about the secondary characters, or the minor ones. Here after all, they are not secondary at all! The many POVs are well balanced, and the story progresses with good pace.

On a different note, Grand Conspiracy is a crucible of official and hidden agendas, both of parties and single characters and now that I've started Traitor's knot I'm discovering yet again another subtle coil of conspiracy that was there but veiled two books before. And it spans many more years, while Peril's Gate, which picks up where Grand Conspiracy's intense denouement left off, is focused on the action of a few months.
After reading it, I felt like the whole book was a climax, probably for the midpoint of the Alliance of Light's Arc: the story totally started to run back over itself in bigger and bigger ripples, and the massive unveilings shifted, again, my assumptions, while the pace picked up speed an an event followed another.
I really love reading a series where I'm not able to predict what happens next, and then enjoy the delivery because it feels totally natural!
This kind of story unfolding is present in the earlier books, too, the details count and the impression of cohesiveness lasts, but with Peril's Gate I really tasted the scope and the original structure of the series. There were many a moment where scenes, or details read in an earlier volume represented consequences for the future, and in hindsight it was like reviewing those from a different position.

Surely it is better to start reading with The Curse of the Mistwraith, it may be structured in Arcs, but skipping the beginning is detrimental to the enjoyment, and Peril's Gate proved the point with stark clarity, the story is not linear, it progresses in spirals and the reader's viewpoint of events continues to rise and deepen, and to change in connection to prior events; this kind of folding back on the threads to open up more information (also about Athera's itself and its working principles, which are far from easy not to mention about the different attitudes of the power-wielding parties involved and the different ways to work magic) the further you read requires some focus, and particularly relies on the fact the previous books have been read. Peril's Gate builds heavily on Curse of the Mistwraith for example, but also on the Ships of Merior's Arc.

I'm impressed and totally hooked, I can feel a kind of shift, a convergence to a new level of the story, and loving each minute of it. On to Traitor's Knot.

message 9: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 171 comments I've posted more of my mid-series impressions (spoiler free) so far on r/fantasy (change of venue, let's stir Janny's fans there, too). What do you think? Peril's Gate and now Traitor's Knot are shifting again my perceptions on the series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...