Pendergast Task Force discussion

Gideon's Sword

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments The new series opener from Preston/Child, "Gideon's Sword", comes out on February 22, 2011. The reviews I have seen are mixed but the plot seems interesting and a new series is always a welcome thing from these two.

message 2: by Al (new)

Al (oznob) Thanks I saw it last night and pre-ordered it... Looking forward to the new series...

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail (wwwgoodreadscomgail303) | 9 comments I'm on the list at my library - can't wait to see what this is about!

message 4: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Buying "Gideon's Sword" is already on my to do list 1st thing Tuesday morning! But my husband and I are still fighing over who gets to read it fist! Not sure I am going to win this battle.

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments Just started the book. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Pendergast novels.

message 6: by Al (new)

Al (oznob) Good God! I bought the darn thing and was done with it in two days! I liked it, nice to see that they are tying in some "known" characters.... New and different, but a good read.

message 7: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments Just finished it. Liked it but not nearly as much as the Pendergast (or stand alone) books by these two together. Just not as interesting a character or an overall read as their other characters and books. Good as a throwaway book, nothing more.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail (wwwgoodreadscomgail303) | 9 comments ok, my copy on CD just came in. As soon as the book i am currently listening to is over this one will go in!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 12 comments I agree with Gatorman. It was good but I expect so much from them. Pendergast is jsut such a cool characters. I liked Gideon, too but eh. A little too much product placement for me. How many times did it say Google Earth at the end. That bugged me but I would read another story about Gideon.

message 10: by Al (new)

Al (oznob) Hey, I enjoyed the book and look forward to how the authors develop the character. So far I have enjoyed everything I have read by the authors and am looking forward to the next installment.

message 11: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments I enjoyed the book. But I didn't fing the "Bad Guy" to be all that scary. I also look forward to seeing Gideon develop more in future books.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail (wwwgoodreadscomgail303) | 9 comments This story reminded me of Barry Eisler's series with John Rain as the assassin. I liked it, but it seemed like "more of the same". The plot is predictable and somewhat contrived. With Pendergast they have something unique and even quirky at times. When I am in a Pendergast book I feel like I am in the middle of the action, not really reading a "story".

message 13: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments Tiffanie wrote: "I enjoyed the book. But I didn't fing the "Bad Guy" to be all that scary. I also look forward to seeing Gideon develop more in future books."

I know, I actually found him to be kinda sympathetic...

message 14: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments I read Gideon's sword a few months back and am really looking forward to the latest "Gideon's Corpse". I'm on the library waiting list for it. Not at all like Pendergast though--has anyone read the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson? It's kind of out there too!!!

message 15: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments when is gideon's corpse coming out?

message 16: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Just looked it up on Preston and Child's web site--January 12,2012.

message 17: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments cool, thank you!

message 18: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments You are most welcome!!

message 19: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Hi all--just got an e-mail from the guys website-Gideon's Corpse is coming out January 10th rather than the 12th and the new (and concluding the trilogy) Pendergast book will be out next Fall--that seems an awfully long time away!!

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments Gideon's Corpse got some bad reviews from PW and LJ which usually love their books. Sounds even cornier and over the top than Gideon's Sword. Think I'm gonna skip this one as I wasn't crazy about the first one.

message 21: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Gatorman wrote: "Gideon's Corpse got some bad reviews from PW and LJ which usually love their books. Sounds even cornier and over the top than Gideon's Sword. Think I'm gonna skip this one as I wasn't crazy about..."

Ok--who is PW and LJ? I should probably know this--but isn't ringing any bells? I kinda liked Gideon's Sword.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 6 comments I'm reading Gideon's Corpse right now, and while I've not quite yet gotten to the "meat" of the story, I am enjoying it. Several people I know have already finished it and made the comment that they are now beginning to truly appreciate Crew even more. I liked Crew in the first book, and love it that he makes wisecracks that go over everybody's heads... There needs to be more of that, IMO. Anyhow, I'm liking the story enough to continue with it - I am intrigued with the ending, which I'm not going to give away - I read about it elsewhere so I think I know what happens, but I'm not going to mention it here.

Keep reading! Preston and Child have not let me down yet. :)

message 23: by Janice (new)

Janice Mitchell (jannyfae) | 19 comments I absolutely adore all of their books! When I'm not reading a new one, I'm starting the books from the beginning AGAIN. There always seems to be something I've missed that I can catch a second time. I also enjoy Dean Koontz, but I'm several books behind. All the other authors in the world must be awfully disappointed in me!

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 6 comments LOL Janice! My fave DK book is "Watchers". I also ADORE Robert MacCammon's "The Wolf's Hour" - and I have yet to read his new one from that (well now) series "The Hunter From The Woods" but OMG!!! I MUST MUST MUST read it!!!

message 25: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments Carole wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Gideon's Corpse got some bad reviews from PW and LJ which usually love their books. Sounds even cornier and over the top than Gideon's Sword. Think I'm gonna skip this one as I w..."

Publishers Weekly and Library Journal.

message 26: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Gatorman wrote: "Carole wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Gideon's Corpse got some bad reviews from PW and LJ which usually love their books. Sounds even cornier and over the top than Gideon's Sword. Think I'm gonna skip ..."

Ok Gatorman--thanks for the clarification!

message 27: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Gideon's Corpse: Read it last night. Not my faviorte P & C book, but I still enjoyed it. It kept my attention until the end and I would read again.

message 28: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Steele | 2 comments Reading Gideon's Corpse right now, so far, very interesting, gets your attention right from the start, so far I like it better than Gideon's Sword but I'll let you know. I agree with you all that it is hard to bring out a new character to compete with Pendergast! He is my favorite!

message 29: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Just finished Gideon's Sword, Was good but not great. Have read others that were better.
Moved on to Gideon's Corpse. Not to bad so far.

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) | 5 comments I read Sword & wasn't overly impressed by it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Not sure if I'll read Corpse, the character just doesn't interest me.

message 31: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Lynn wrote: "I read Sword & wasn't overly impressed by it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Not sure if I'll read Corpse, the character just doesn't interest me."

I agree. I thought they were OK, jsut not great.

message 32: by Janice (new)

Janice Mitchell (jannyfae) | 19 comments Phyllis wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I read Sword & wasn't overly impressed by it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Not sure if I'll read Corpse, the character just doesn't interest me."

I..."

I feel the same way, although I read Corpse and it was better. Still, what can we expect? you can't help comparing Gideon to Pendergast and he just doesn't live up.

message 33: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 1 comments I just read this last week.

I knew I'd like the book, the only question was, could it live up to "Pendergast" standards. I do believe it did! I'm seriously liking this dude!!

I'm hoping Gideon is going to hang out with Charles Dajkovic (ex-sec ops dude). They'd make an excellent team. It would be nice to see him bond with at least one person before he "kicks the bucket". Hope they being goofy O'Brien back a lot as well. He's great!

And BTW, what the heck is the "dying soon" thing about?! I get that it makes the character pretty much fearless, but geez! How many books can they get out of him if he's supposed to "die at anytime"? If I'm going to invest my time in a character, I'd really like him to stick around for a good, long while.

Well, I'm looking forward to the next book about Gideon.