Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > March Mini-Challenge: March 1st-March 31st

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Mar 01, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
How this challenge works:
To obtain points your book must touch at least one or more of the categories. Each item underneath the category is worth one point unless otherwise noted. Categories and items can be repeated as many times as you want throughout the course of the challenge. It is your responsibility to tell us what items came up in your book.

For example on scoring:
I read The Thorn Birds, so I hit the following categories and items:
Time Period- 1970’s (I think)- 1 pt
Genre- Historical Fiction- 1 pt
Country- Italy & Australia- 2 pts
Title- Animal (Birds)- 1 pt
Book Cover- Persons with full body & Grass – 2 pts
Random Tasks- Read an epic book- 1 pt
March Event- Aries (fire)- 1 pt
----------------------
Total 9 pts

692 pages= 6 pts

Total= 15 pts

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

Participants may join at any time during the challenge. The challenge last from March 1st until March 31st. All points must be reported by 11:59pm EST on March 31, 2011 to be counted.

RULES:

1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.

2) Books less than 1/2 finished may be counted for the challenge at the beginning, but ALL books must be completed and points recorded by 11:59p EST on March 31, 2011 for points to be counted as completed for the task.

4) Re-reads and audiobooks are accepted. Audiobook page counts will be determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads.

SCORING:
***Please report all points in the Reporting Points Thread***

5) To obtain points your book must touch at least one or more of the categories. Each item underneath the category is worth one point unless otherwise noted. Categories and items can be repeated as many times as you want throughout the course of the challenge. It is your responsibility to tell us what items came up in your book.

6) Bonus points will be awarded based on the length of each book read, as follows:
200 to 300 pages = 2 bonus points
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
501 to 750 pages = 6 bonus points
751 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

Bonus points will be awarded PER BOOK READ.

7) Page length used to determine task bonus points is determined by THE MOST POPULAR EDITION OF THE BOOK ON GOODREADS -- NOT the edition you actually read. This is a change from the previous rules in an attempt to make the scoring more fair across the board, as there can be very large page variations between editions. To determine the most popular edition on Goodreads, simply do a title/author search - the first result that matches your book is the most popular edition on GR.

8) HAVE FUN!!!
----------------------------------------------------

THE CHALLENGE

Time Periods
The future
1940’s
1970’s
1980’s
1800’s

Genre
Historical Fiction
Mythology
Young Adult
Fantasy
Horror
Non-fiction
Science Fiction
Dystopia
Thriller
Mystery

Countries
Italy
Egypt
Russia
France
Japan
Ireland
Germany
Australia
United States

Titles
Elements- earth, air, water and fire
Color
Flower
Gems
“March” in the title

Book Cover- Must be for the edition you read
Tree
Person with full body
Animal
Grass
Water
Ship

Random Tasks
Read a book published in 2011
Read an epic book
Read a book that has a senior citizen as a protagonist
Read a book that features a young adult as a protagonist
Read a book featuring political intrigue
Read a book by a GR author who has an author page- earn a bonus 1 pt if the author is one of our members

March Events
In honor of Ides of March (15th)- Read a book that has Ceasar as a character
In honor of Pisces- Read a book that features water or fish
In honor of Aries- Read a book that features fire or rams
In honor of Women’s History Month- Read a non-fiction or fiction book on a famous woman
In honor of Music in our schools month- Read a book that features music in the plot
In honor of St. Patrick’s Day- Read a book on Ireland or Irish history
In honor of National Craft Month- Read a book that features a craft (i.e. knitting, rug making, etc.)

message 2: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I will open a separate reporting points thread once the challenge starts. Feel free to ask questions or provide feedback in this thread :)

message 3: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Thanks Heather :D

message 4: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 537 comments This looks great! So creative!!

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Fun challenge!!

message 6: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Yay! Glad you girls like it. I was hoping that this format can give the challengers a bit of a break. You can get to those books you've been meaning to get too while still being able to get points.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments For the time periods section, are those the only time periods we can use?

message 8: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
This challenge works a bit differently than the others, Jayme. You can read anything you want at all, as long as it fits at least ONE of the options from the categories below. The more you hit with a single book, the more points you get.

So you can read a book from the 1300s (which isn't listed), as long as it meets something else, like having a tree on the cover or being set in Italy, etc...

message 9: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Feb 17, 2011 09:13AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments okay, I think I get it. How do you define an epic book?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Minnella  (sarahliane) This looks like fun! I am excited to start!

message 11: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, I think I get it. How do you define an epic book?"

Usually a book that encompasses a very long stretch of time (decades like in the case of the Thorn Birds) with many great events happening during that time.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I will keep that in mind

message 13: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I had decided to skip the next challenge, but this looks like fun. I think I will participate and just read what I had already scheduled for March.So instead of searching for books to fit the tasks, I will just read and see how that book fits into the challenge. A fun and different way to look at it!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I have a question about the "book cover" points. I have a Kindle so there really isn't much of a "book cover" anymore. In this case, should I base it on the cover of the book as it is shown when I purchase it online from amazon, for example? Or can I base it on the cover I see here at GR?

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Awesome Linda! You can't resist us... :P

Amy, I would say in that case we would use the cover of the most popular version on Goodreads, like we do with page counts, etc. But I'll let Jackie confirm since she's the mastermind!

message 16: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) I was seriously thinking about sitting out of the March challenge as well because I have a number of fantasy novels sitting here waiting for me to read. Since this challenge is slightly different, maybe I'll go ahead and read those books and see where they fit into the challenge.

message 17: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Fun! So, just to make sure I understand, I don't have to read something that has one element from EACH category, right? But I could have multiple things from ONE category. It's like mix-and-match however I want?

message 18: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Amy, Becky gave you the right answer. You should go with whatever popular cover is shown here in GR since there is no cover for Kindle editions.

LemonLinda and Gayle, so glad that the both of you are joining us for another round! I have some books in the fantasy genre I want to read too :)

ToniS, yes it is like a mix and match and you can have multiple items from one category.

message 19: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm planning a break from challenges (except a year-long one I'm in) but since this one is so cool, I'm in! However, I'm going to read whatever I feel like (one of the reasons for taking a break) and find out after I'm done how it fits into the challenge :) since there are so many cool options, I think this will be a great way to have more freedom in reading but still stay involved. No pressure! Love, love this idea!! :)

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

That is the idea, Tasha. Everyone gets burnt out on challenges after a while, I think... so of course our brilliant Jackie manages to make one that's both a little challenging but a lot of freedom to read what we want. :D

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 0 comments Yes! Love the Freedom of this Challenge!

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Looks fun!

message 23: by Christy (new)

Christy This makes my day... I have a list of books that I haven't gotten to yet and now I can read them without my TBR pile piling up anymore. Excellent idea!!

message 24: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Jackie wrote: "Yay! Glad you girls like it. I was hoping that this format can give the challengers a bit of a break. You can get to those books you've been meaning to get too while still being able to get points."

Oh, I so appreciate that. Thanks for a great challenge!

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments I will be able to utilize many of the books I need to review in March for this challenge as well because there is so much flexibility in it. Thanks!

Question - I'm reviewing All Kinds of Free by Jessica McCann, but it is not yet listed on Goodreads. It may be closer to publication date. I assume if it doesn't make Goodreads, I should not use it, correct?

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I don't see why you couldn't use it. You can always manually add new books to the database too, Holly.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/new

:)

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Becky wrote: "I don't see why you couldn't use it. You can always manually add new books to the database too, Holly.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/new

:)"

Okay, thanks.

message 28: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Becky, I have a question re "person with full body" on cover. I have a number of books with 3 or 4 persons on the cover but they are quite small. They do have a body, arms, legs and head but no other identifying features. Can we count those?

message 29: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I would say so... I think Jackie was making it a bit more challenging, since a lot of HF covers with people either feature just the face or head and shoulder areas or the torso (probably to show off those pretty dresses!).

Jackie can correct me if I'm wrong... ;)

message 30: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) Question regarding Time Period......do you mean year the book was written or the time period in which the book is set?

message 31: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Setting. :)

message 32: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Becky, I have another question re "bodies". For instance, I have a book I want to read and the people on the cover are walking in snow - thus their feet are not shown. Another is walking in water on a different book. In both cases, the majority of the bodies are shown. Would these be OK or not? What if a person is on a horse and you don't the second leg of the rider, would that be OK? (I'm going to drive you crazy, aren't I??

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Maude, I don't know about Becky, but for some reason I'm finding your questions highly amusing. :)

message 34: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Feb 21, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

LOL! I think all of those would be OK, Maude... If not, then we'd have to put an NC17 rating on this challenge because presumably all of these cover-people wouldn't be clothed! ;)

We'll just specify that "full body" means the majority of the body shape must be visible - no cut off heads or heads only, disembodied limbs, etc, with a maximum of one hidden - but not off-cover - limb.

Leg behind a horse on cover = OK
Leg not on cover at all = Not OK

message 35: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Heather and Amy, I am here for your amusement!!

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane hahaha, Maude and Becky you are both crazy! This should be given as modern anti-stress medicine!

message 37: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments It does sound pretty funny, I admit. I was just paranoid that I would have finished a book and then be told that I missed part of the body. Becky did a fine job of clarification for me!

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm hoping that Jackie will come in and tell us we need that warning... ;)

message 39: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

LMAO! I'm too busy laughing right now to give a warning.

message 40: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jackie wrote: "LMAO! I'm too busy laughing right now to give a warning."

Soooo.... are you done laughing now? :D

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Well, I was looking at some of my book covers with the same questions, so I'll join the laughing fest!

message 42: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Becky wrote: "Jackie wrote: "LMAO! I'm too busy laughing right now to give a warning."

Soooo.... are you done laughing now? :D"

haha! You know I would love to do an all smutty challenge, but this is not that type of group :P

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Would our group read be "Lady Chatterly's Lover" if we did an all smutty challenge? :)

message 44: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Jackie, I want to read a book about Martinique which belongs to France. Can I use that under the France banner, so to speak?

message 45: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Actually Jackie, I just noticed that this is probably a fiction task or can I use a nonfiction?

message 46: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Maude wrote: "Jackie, I want to read a book about Martinique which belongs to France. Can I use that under the France banner, so to speak?"

I would say yes. Just curious what book is it?

message 47: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Jackie, Maybe if I paid attention I wouldn't have to write all these messages - I forgot we could do nonfiction so ignore my last message.

message 48: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Maude, you are going to have the best-thought-out challenge reading list ever. So much research and planning!

message 49: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Now that Maude is not counting and adding numbers she has a lot more time on her hands! lol... But really, thanks Maude for all that hard work! :)

message 50: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Thank you Tasha! And you are right. I am enjoying being more active in the threads.

« previous 1 3