Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > Workout people! I need advice. (Life without swimming) (yoga)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart So I've been doing zumba a lot this past week. Zumba is this...high intensity aerobic dance workout. It's so much fun...if you're with the right instructor.

So I did Zumba last Friday, this Monday, yesterday, and I might do it again tonight, and I'm definitely Zumba-ing tomorrow.

But I'm sore as hell! I wasn't this sore after Monday's workout! But I didn't like the instructor for yesterday 'cause she didn't stop and show you the dances, and she didn't sound like she wanted to be there. But I'm super super sore today.

So a couple of questions: a) why am I sore b) what does it mean c) What do I do about it?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My wife loves Zumba. Be careful not to do too much too quickly...you're more likely to burn out or get hurt. You need to build up your endurance gradually.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Don’t work out to many consecutive days in a row. Your body needs time to recuperate.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Keep hydrated.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments everything in moderation. stretching exercises help soreness. hot showers/baths/whirlpools. ibuprofen. Once your muscles become used to the exercise and get stronger there will be less soreness. If you have back problems make sure all your moves are low impact.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments 1)Britt, do they warm you up and cool you down? If not, you should do it yourself before and after. Five minutes on a treadmill, just walking, would do it. Biking or stairs or any of those cardio machines.

2)Do you stretch? Stretch AFTER you warm up a little, and especially when you're done.

3)Sore is ok. Joint pain is not. If you're sore, it just means you're waking up muscles. They're filing a protest, but it's fine. If it's really uncomfortable, take hot baths or showers, and do some gentle stretching.

4)Learn it right. You have a good instinct in saying that you didn't like the instructor who didn't show you what to do. When you do stuff wrong, you get hurt.

5)It's ok to do cardio - Zumba - multiple times a week, but your body isn't used to it yet. Your body does need rest days too.
Keep at it!

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments SP has some good advice. One thing I'd add is that soreness tends to be worst not the day after the workout, but two days after. You can avoid much of that by doing some light work with those same muscles on the day after the workout.

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Sarah, two out of three instructors I have do a good job of warming up and cooling down. Homegirls yesterday was just trippin'. Her warm up was okay, but her cool down wasnt a cool down.

And with her not going through the dance moves, I think that time slot has a lot of regulars, and she saw a lot of familiar faces, some even shouted out requests, so I guess she didn't feel like she needed to. But ummm she did.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
Britt, my two cents is sore is fine, suck it up and go back more. That's what happened every year at the beginning of swim practice, and I just endured. It means your body is waking up. That bitch worked you extra hard by not giving breaks, but she might just have made you sweat off two pounds.

I like working out right now. I don't normally, but yoga is making me happy. I figured out a stretch for my shoulder that has ached for nearly 10 years.

Sorry, 'scuse me. Back to Britt.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Britt, that's part of what intimidates me about classes like that. I'm willing to go to a new yoga class, but I'm actually terrified of aerobics-type classes and the newbie curve. I don't like not knowing how to do something, and I have a tendency to hurt myself when I don't know what I'm doing. My gym has the main group-exercise area in front of the treadmills, so I watch the classes and wonder how everyone knows what to do. So good for you for jumping right in.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments 2)Do you stretch? Stretch AFTER you warm up a little, and especially when you're done.

I need to stretch more, esp. before running. It makes a huge difference.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm wondering how it's going to work at the triathalon next week. There are heats throughout the day, and it's indoors, so presumably all of the treadmills will be in use. So do we just start running from the beginning, or do we get a warmup? I usually walk four or five minutes, then stretch, then run, but I can't imagine I can do that at the event.

message 13: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 17, 2011 11:58AM) (new)

Brittomart Sally, actually, that bitch didn't work me too hard because halfway through I was thinking, "oh, fuck this, I am going to get on the treadmill." But I didn't. And I didn't have fun either!

Usually, this is how it goes. The instructor shows how the warn up is generally gonna go, and then you get a feel for it and you fall in line with everyone else. Then! Before each new song, the instructor says something like, "okay, we're gonna start off with a pump and then move into a kumbia and then blah blah..." and she demonstrates as she describes. And if you don't get it then, which i usually don't, when the music starts, and you start to feel the song out, everyone gets in tune and that's how the group is in sync.

But when you do what yesterday's instructor does, and not show the moves, and! you switch the moves so often, you get the atmosphere of the room that I had yesterday. Some girls were killin it, and having a good time. Others, and more than I have noticed in my other classes, were just trying to keep up.

message 14: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I zumba'd again! it was way more fun than yesterday. I need to stretch though 'cause she did a half-ass cool down.

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments is zumba considered a weight bearing exercise? For women to avoid osteoporosis, some weight bearing exercises are a good idea.

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Too bad you don't live in a state where there's more snow. Cross-country skiing will kick anyone's ass.

Ditto for swimming. Have you ever considered it?

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I don't know how to swim.

What's a weight bearing exercise, Michele?

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments do you really not know how to swim? or do you not know how to swim well?

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments iBritt wrote: "I don't know how to swim.

What's a weight bearing exercise, Michele?"

It is an exercise that requires either your arms or legs to bear your body weight in performing the exercise.

message 20: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I don't know how to swim at all, Janine.

and in that case, I think yes?

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments have you thought about learning or tried to learn to swim?

message 22: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 18, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Brittomart Wellll, I think about 2 years before I started undergrad, the UNC school system required that freshmen pass a swim test. If they don't pass, then they have to take swimming their first semester, and that counted as the fitness requirement for the curriculum. NOW there is not swim test, they have Lifetime Fitness (LFIT). Everyone has to take one credit hour of an LFIT class during any of your 4 years (usually the first, I haven't yet), and they have lots of things that you can do like, raquetball, indoor sports, outdoor sports, jogging, running, etc.

So no, I haven't thought about learning. Welll, wait, yes I did. Last year I was planning on taking swimming for my LFIT this year, but I didn't 'cause I realized that either I would have to get braids or wash my hair everyday, and that was not happening.

message 23: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments We couldn't graduate high school without passing a swim test. I had an irrational fear of large bodies of water--I still do, sort of--but swimming turned out to be really relaxing for me. It's good exercize and it's easy on your joints, too.

I still don't want to be out in the middle of the ocean, but if I fall off a boat I'll be okay until the sharks come.

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments We had to pass a swimming test in college. The story was that the requirement began as a stipulation in a large bequest to fund a library back around World War I. The donor's son, daughter-in-law, and grandson had all died on the Titanic. The bequest and the Titanic story were real, but I'm not sure that the swim test was really connected. Might have been a campus legend.

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I am always surprised that people don't know how to swim. I am able, but I don't really enjoy it unless it is in a tropical locale. My daughter, however, is part fish!

message 26: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments ms.petra wrote: "I am always surprised that people don't know how to swim."

me too, i don't think i know anyone (apart from britt now) who can't swim.

message 27: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I've only been in a pool all of like, twice. I think my dad tried to teach me when I was 9, but he's one of those, "I'm teaching you without telling you that I'm teaching you" types, so I just freaked out and said forget it.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

Really? Where did you grow up again, Britt? Do you know other people who don't swim? What about when you go to the beach?
Can you ride a bicycle?

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) My mother doesn't/can't swim.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Some of this is cultural. Many black kids don't learn how to swim:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2...

When I taught on the south side of Chicago we took the kids to the Y for swimming lessons. You can't live next to Lake Michigan and expect to survive if you don't know how to swim.

message 31: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 19, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

Brittomart Sally - Um, I definitely know how to ride a bike. I've only been to the beach once, and I didn't go expecting to get in the water. I know lots of people who don't know how to swim. My brother didn't learn until he joined the Marines.

message 32: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart And my mother is afraid of big bodies of water. It's hard for her to even look at a lake.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Britt, I'm glad you ride a bike. I was worried that you had no other options besides standing and using feet and all. Can you ski? Ice Skate? Rollerblade?

message 34: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart No no and no.

I've...never been to a place where you ski? I've never been on an ice rink, and rollerblading? I can't even skate.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I didn't learn how to swim until I was in my late teens and I taught myself.

Swimming is so much fun. Love it.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
RandomAnthony wrote: "Some of this is cultural. Many black kids don't learn how to swim:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2...

When I taught on the south side of Chicago we took..."

Thanks for posting that. It's true, among many urban, poor communities, kids don't learn how to swim, in part because there are few swimming pools for them. Relief from the heat for these kids often comes in the form of an opened fire hydrant. Learning how to swim requires access to some body of water or pool, and as with so many other amenities that the middle class takes for granted, poor kids often lack access.

message 37: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart This thread is making me feel very very underprivileged.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
Sorry, Britt. I was hoping it wouldn't. Not knowing how to swim, obviously, can be a condition of any social class.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's okay Barb. We don't think any less of you for that.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

It is so hard to imaging not being able to swim. Swimming is part of the Australian culture. It is also a compulsory part of the primary school curriculum for all children. Barb and Britt I really feel for you both.

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think avoiding dangerous animals and insects should also be part of the Australian culture.

message 42: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Brittomart Wait, not being able to swim is nothing I feel ashamed about. I just want to put that out there.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm glad you don't feel ashamed. My query was innocent and honest. There is lots of stuff I can't/don't want to do.

In other news, yoga is awesome.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I'm not comfortable in the water. I could save myself with my awsome doggie paddle, but noone else.

message 46: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What is "hot yoga", by the way?

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

Barb, the best DVDs are the Crunch series. Or Rodney Yee.

RA, I do hot yoga, and my vagina makes a lot of noise there. The temperature is cranked up to 85 or so in the room, and about 35 people, all wearing as little as possible, sweat their assess off while doing things like Sun Salutation A and Inverted Triangle poses.

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn. Can I just stand in the back and watch?

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My sister's yoga instructor somehow turns it into an extreme sport. Every time I go to her I end up sore and broken. That said, I love non-hot-yoga with more normal instructors. I haven't had Sally's farting experience, but many classes end with a cool-down, and I have been in classes where somebody fell full-on-snoring asleep at the end.

I like swimming and I'm comfortable in water, but I'm really self-conscious about lap swimming and never ever do it. I have an ex who was a competitive swimmer, and I was once swimming laps while she was teaching a lesson and I heard her say "and that's how NOT to do it," and I've been reluctant ever since.

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How can one swim laps incorrectly?

« previous 1