Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > seasons and food...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok...does anyone here associate particular seasons with particular foods, and are you seeing those lines blurred?

For example, I associate watermelons with summer, you know? And then I walk into Costco in February and they have watermelons for six bucks. In other words foods that I usually associated with particular seasons are now available all the time for not much more than regular place. I don't know if I like this.

I'm just rambling here before work. Comments?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I think that foods use to be a lot more seasonal due to the growing seasons, and the problem with transporting the goods. But with the almost world wide commerce that is available now, it is not as seasonal.

Strawberries were always an early summer thing, watermelon mid to late summer, sweet corn was always a mid to late summer food. Cuties now seem to be a mid winter fruit. So yes, I do associate some foods with certain seasons.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Cuties? I see most of them in spring and summer, with their tank-tops and short-shorts.

message 4: by Jammies (new)

Jammies TOMATOES = SUMMER

Always and forever, summer means good homegrown tomatoes, whether cherry or beefsteak. Damn it, now I want a big fat tomato, sliced with just a tiny bit of salt. I hate you, RA.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I could spend the entire winter eating soup and oranges.

In terms of produce and seasonal availability, it is definitely easier to get stuff year-round now, so it's easy to get used to having it around. That said, if you are buying a watermelon in winter and you live someplace that has winter, that watermelon has been traveling for quite some time before it gets to you. Since I started buying more seasonal and farm-direct produce, I've discovered whole new worlds of flavor. I thought tomatoes were the most disgusting thing on earth because they looked so watery and blah until I realized there were striped and purple and orange ones, and that the ones I grew were red straight through. Worth the wait.

message 6: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Watermelons = summer. That's what I look forward to: cold, sweet watermelon.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Cherries! I always associate them with Christmas!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I am very skeptical of the strawberries I'm seeing in the stores right now. I don't believe they are red inside, and I'm not going to pay to find out.

Peaches and nectarines are summer fruit, and the ones that show up in the store from Chile during the winter are always disappointing. They were picked early for transport, and suffer from it.

Corn on the cob belongs in the late summer. Pumpkin is autumnal. Clam chowder is Friday food. :)

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) When I lived in Pittsburgh, fried fish and mac & cheese were Friday food. Some of the best fried fish I ever had was in Pittsburgh.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am sorry, but mac & cheese is not food.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Says someone who's never had mine.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Makes note in diary: Visit Larry for his famous mac & cheese.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Macaroni and cheese is definitely food! I'm with Larry on that. I make good homemade mac & cheese, too.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Let me know when you'll be here, Gail -- and we'll arrange a mac & cheese bake-off.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Between you and Jackie? I don't make mac & cheese.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes between Jackie and me.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Mac & cheese is a mighty fine meal in cold weather.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

You have a few months to practice your skills, it will be a while before I can make it.

message 19: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Cherries! I always associate them with Christmas!"

Cherries, sigh. I’m jealous... I’m getting tired of apples & oranges.

Summertime is barbecue time chez Helena. I love barbecuing. Anything. Winter is nice for soups & stews, comforting :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It won't be long before it's me being jealous. ::sigh::

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Larry wrote: "Let me know when you'll be here, Gail -- and we'll arrange a mac & cheese bake-off."

Hey, I want in on this too!

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yew betcha.

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Larry wrote: "Yew betcha."

Well that's a pine how-do-you-do!

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How do I do what?

message 25: by Heidi (last edited Feb 18, 2011 07:03AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Summertime - basil (it's my favorite herb - love to put it in sammies), mint, pretty much anything I can find at the farmers' market, hot dogs, burgers, purple hull peas, gazpacho, lemons, popsicles, snow cones, ice cream; grapefruit & vodka, gin & tonic, margaritas, water, beer

Fall - squash, pumpkin, apples, pecans, candy corn, turkey, stuffing/dressing, water, beer

Winter - soups, chili, nuts, pork roast, pot roast; corned beef & cabbage & root veggies; black eyed peas, candy canes, red hots, white russians, colorado bulldogs, hot damn, irish coffee, egg nog, water, beer

Spring - lemons, ham, hashbrown casserole, garlic cheese grits, cadbury eggs (yuck), boiled eggs (yuck), mojitos, margaritas, water, beer

message 26: by Jim (last edited Feb 18, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That what I want to know. Msg#26

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I sense a trend in the last item on each list, Heidi.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jonathan wrote: "I sense a trend in the last item on each list, Heidi."

You caught that, eh?

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I am oblivious to many things but not to beer.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Beer is one of my favorite things!

message 31: by Jim (last edited Feb 18, 2011 07:26AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I just bought a Growler of a very tasty Belgian Dubble yesterday. They had a Grand Cru on tap, but didn't have the opportunity to try it.

ETA: Beer can be very seasonal.

message 32: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments

Msg. #24 said "yew."

Sticking with the tree pun theme, msg. #25 said "pine."

So I ash yew what was so hard to understand? And if you don't like my puns, go (s)oak your head.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Seasons and food? Here are my favorites...

WABBIT season.

DUCK season.

Wabbit season! Duck season! Wabbit season! Wabbit season. DUCK SEASON. FIRE!

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24153 comments Mod
I'm not sure I know what the perfect pea is supposed to taste and feel like. I think I've been overcooking them, so now I only cook frozen peas for 4 minutes. Yet, some of them still have a mealy texture. Should I stop at 3 minutes, or is the mealiness a feature rather than a bug?

message 35: by Scout (last edited Feb 18, 2011 10:38PM) (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Well, you're always going to have to eat a bug or two, Ha, but when I cook peas, I put them in a boiler with a couple of inches of water and add a couple of pieces of bacon, but if you're not into that, any oil will do - it seems to make the peas tender. Add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. After bringing to a boil, put on a lid and turn down to a medium-low temp for up to 20 minutes. Keep tasting. Seems to me that you're undercooking. I'd like to know what happens.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

i pretty much eat everything all year round. but for the summer, i have lots of oranges and lemonade, in the spring, i eat cheesecake because the season is a stressful time for me at school so i load up, in the fall i drink alot of apple cider and donuts, and in the winter i have lots of hot chocolate, pies, cakes, and whatever baked good my mom makes.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Well its good that you stay away from the sugars Esme. :-)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

in my excuse, i have low blood sugar. so it works out and im a teenager. sue me :)

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Just glad you can still get away with it, low blood sugar excluded.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

if you call getting constant lectures from dr. dad about my health 'getting away with it'...

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Yay Dad, that's his job.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

gee, thanks for the support!

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments :-)

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh yeah, peas. Turns out 3-4 minutes at a medium boil (frozen peas) with a lid on is good. I was definitely overcooking them before. A few of them had gone mealy but most had that fresh, pop in your mouth thing going on.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Scout wrote: "Well, you're always going to have to eat a bug or two, Ha, but when I cook peas, I put them in a boiler with a couple of inches of water and add a couple of pieces of bacon, but if you're not into ..."

The 20 minutes with the bacon is something I'd do with green beans, which in my opinion often taste better over than undercooked, but not with peas.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

i kinda want to eat peas now.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think it's a crime to overcook green beans when they are fresh from the garden -- as long as they aren't allowed to grow too big and tough.

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Okay, young tender beans, yes, I'll agree with you on that.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'd like to point out that good beer can be seasonal too. My version of Heidi's list would include weissbiers in summer and pumpkin ales in fall and porters and stouts in winter.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I hit on it in msg#33 Sarah.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.