UK Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > One Hundred Years Of Solitude

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarepenelopeliggins) I just recently finished this book and I loved it so much I wished I had someone to discuss it with. I tried to tell my husband all my thoughts on it but I don't think he was that interested so what did you guys think? Did you like it? Why did you like or not like it?
I was really inspired with the originality of the style, the rhythm of the narration and the simplicity with which such unusual events unfurled. And more, so much more, but what did you think?

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I read that last year (or maybe the year before) and although I did enjoy the style of the book and thought the writing was beautifully descriptive I did find the lack of definite timeline and name repetition a little off putting. I really had to focus when I was reading it and occasionally had to go back and re-read bits to keep up with what was going on.

What did you think of it? How did you find it to read?

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarepenelopeliggins) I found myself going back to check bits too a little and as the book went on I was appreciative of the family tree at the front of the book, that kept me focused on who was who.
I quite enjoyed the lack of timeline as it enabled me to get lost in the narrative and flow with it, like slipping into its stream, if that makes sense?
I liked the two sides of the characters, the Aurelianos and the Jose Arcadios. I found myself more drawn to the Aurelianos but since the twins their personalities didn't seem so divided by their names.
I found it absorbing and very inspiring, its unlike anything I've read before. I'm going to have to look out his other works.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 223 comments I ended up quite liking it, very unusual. I struggled a bit with all the people having the same/similar names at the beginning. But the book had a great atmosphere and 'epic'ness.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Littlebearstories wrote: "I found myself going back to check bits too a little and as the book went on I was appreciative of the family tree at the front of the book, that kept me focused on who was who.
I quite enjoyed t..."

I think that's where I struggled with it, mine didn't have a family tree at the front or anything so couldn't refer back to it. I think that would have helped me enjoy it a little more.

And I like your comparison with slipping into a stream, describes the style and feel of the book perfectly.

message 6: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I read this a couple of years ago with my "in person" book group and responses were pretty varied. Personally, I enjoyed it - I loved the interweaving generations (thank goodness for the family tree in differentiating them,) the elements of magical realism such as the yellow butterflies and the girl too beautiful this earth and I think you're right it has the feel of a meandering stream. Moments of high drama, heartbreak and more comedy that I would have expected.

Another book group member couldn't stand it and still calls it "100 Years of Boredom" so as I said... varied views!

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarepenelopeliggins) It was funnier than I expected too. And the imagery was so interesting and really beautiful. I loved the butterflies as well and Jose Arcadio Buendia spending his last 50 years tied to a tree and the little gold fishes. It was so understated though, I think that's what I really loved about it, the way the magical realism was just there as much a part of it as everything else almost nonchalantly.