Audiobooks discussion

Archives > audible-uk vs audible-us

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by binter (new)

binter | 218 comments Is there any way to get books from audible.uk?

I would love to get ahold of a few Stephen Fry books (Fry Chronicles, Moab is My Washpot) and Dawn French's A Tiny Bit Marvelous.

Why do the US & UK versions have different offerings? argh.

message 2: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments Publisher hasn't worked out a licensing deal in the other country yet. Frustrating, but if you're patient most books do appear at both sites.

message 3: by Penni (new)

Penni Russon (eglantine) | 26 comments Hmm, I'm in Australia and I can see all those books on Audible US. But John is right, sometimes books that are on audible are unavailable to Australian readers because of parallel importation laws.

message 4: by binter (new)

binter | 218 comments Penni, I've always wondered about this...if you have a US address credit card, does that get around those pesky rules? or can they tell by your ISP that you are not physically in the US and therefore cannot get the books?

message 5: by Penni (new)

Penni Russon (eglantine) | 26 comments I've wondered about that too - I have a friend with a Kindle who uses her husband's US office branch address to buy US books, same Australian credit card I think. Not sure if the principle would be the same on audible. Seting your default address is AMerican probably wouldn't be any disadvantage as I very much doubt they have any content on their accessible to Aus but not US.

Isn't NZ territorial copyright free? Wonder what would happen if you used a NZ address.

message 6: by Frances (new)

Frances (shibagirl) | 150 comments Alief wrote: "Penni, I've always wondered about this...if you have a US address credit card, does that get around those pesky rules? or can they tell by your ISP that you are not physically in the US and theref..."

I too have wondered asbout this , I live in denmark and am on audibe.co.uk and quite often there are books that I see that I want then when I click on them it comes up with this book is not available to your geografical location ARRGGHHH
I have family still in the uk and have often thought about asking if I could "borrow" their credit card .

message 7: by Fritzov (new)

Fritzov | 7 comments I agree that the copyright and internation restrictions sucks on audible.com but i still think the service is superior than audible.co.uk for people like me that don't either live in United Kingdom or in USA

message 8: by Frances (new)

Frances (shibagirl) | 150 comments Fritzov wrote: "I agree that the copyright and internation restrictions sucks on audible.com but i still think the service is superior than audible.co.uk for people like me that don't either live in United Kingdom..."

In what way Fritzov ? I would be interested to know if I'm missing out on something

message 9: by Fritzov (new)

Fritzov | 7 comments Frances wrote: "Fritzov wrote: "I agree that the copyright and internation restrictions sucks on audible.com but i still think the service is superior than audible.co.uk for people like me that don't either live i..."

It was a long time ago i compared the 2 services but I never been a register member on co.uk and don't know if books get blocked when you're not in the united kingdom. They do for sure on .com when your resident in North America.

message 10: by John (last edited Apr 13, 2011 12:43AM) (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Hi all - just joined the group recently.

I'm in Ireland but use audible.co.uk and sometimes I can't get books which they advertise to me in the newsletter as books of the month etc, always seems quite sloppy. Here buy this! Oh no you can't, sorry!

J.

message 11: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I've also noticed we can't even get some titles that are available in the UK. Particularly annoying when audible.co.uk send me a newsletter saying buy this great audibook and then I can't even see it on the site.

message 12: by Amic (last edited Jan 07, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Amic Deep (amicdeep) | 1 comments I live in the UK and some quirk got to use aubible.com (throw amazon) with the full usa library for over a year before my bank card changed. i also used the uk version of the site and have to say. the uk version is note even half as good as the us version
99% of books bought on UK site can be got off i tunes (and up until last year when all exchange rate drastically changed us audible was also cheaper)
Secondly USA caterloge of books is nearly double the UK one. And with more audio book coming out just on audible (especially fiction) this make a big difference
Lastly if you join audible as a member (which if you plan to buy any books is a cheaper option) there are far more deals and special offers form the us site.(at least one good one every fortnight (sometimes cheaper than buying the same books in paperback)
And lastly if you gain a 33% off the base prices all the time from us site with membership. Not on UK site. This used to be a bigger deal until the dollar change exchange rate to the pound changed from 2.2 to about 1.5 (these are ruff but fair estimates) and most book were significantly cheaper (even more that form I tunes) but now they seem to be about the same price with the deal.
hope you find this helpful
(i apologise for any grammatical/spelling mistake im severely dyslexic and have tried to edit)

message 13: by binter (new)

binter | 218 comments Amic, thanks for that very interesting info. I find these access issues so perplexing and I'm sure you find them frustrating. I look forward to the day when we won't have to deal with these nonsensical "geo-restrictions".

message 14: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Hi Amic - thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to switch to audible.com for a while and see how it works out.

Thanks!
J.

message 15: by Fustian (new)

Fustian | 30 comments I live in Canada, but my brother lives in the US. Since I noticed that there was a difference between the stuff available to people in the US versus Canada (mostly more available in the US) I signed up for my audible account using my brother's credit card info.

Strangely enough, once I have my brother's info registered with audible I could add my card (Canadian address) to the account and still access all of the US content as long as the US credit card was the last one updated on the account (I also tag it as my membership credit card).

I use my credit card to actually pay for my membership and for any stray books that I buy on audible (unless they are only available state-side). I keep my brother's card on the account and active so that I can access all of the "US only" content. On the rare occasion that I want to pay for a book with cash that is only available in the US I charge it to his card and pay him back with cash.

Works great for me.

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments Fustian wrote: "I live in Canada, but my brother lives in the US. Since I noticed that there was a difference between the stuff available to people in the US versus Canada (mostly more available in the US) I sign..."

Hmm, I should try that. I have a sister who lives in in the States.

message 17: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 108 comments Before our servers were moved from Houston to London, I could access all Audible US materials, and it was wonderful; a much wider selection, more sales, more offers.* It was wonderful.

Now I am reduced to Audible UK.

*strangely, this is the same situation with other, non-book sites, such as Netflix.

message 18: by David (new)

David C | 4 comments My understanding is that UK customers seeking recordings from the USA site will be directed to the UK based on the location of their computer or IP address - not credit card source.

I have been trying to obtain the great recordings of Patrick O'Brian novels read by Patrick Tull, and the unabridged readings of C.J Sansom novels read by Steven Crossley. Neither seem to be available in the UK via Audible or any shop ( but are in the USA). so and Ebay and Alibris etc have been some of the few ways forward, and also my local lending library ( three cheers)

I have contacted some of the agents and publishers. The problem is embedded in contractual arrangements. Arrangements in my opinion which fail to serve the current century. Yes - you can buy them - but you need to get them posted or collect in person. In a repressive dictatorship, I would be searched for the cds at the airport. Er maybe I was unwise to say that del del del ...

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments David wrote: "My understanding is that UK customers seeking recordings from the USA site will be directed to the UK based on the location of their computer or IP address - not credit card source.

I have been tr..."

I know. It's ridiculous.

message 20: by Briar Rose (new)

Briar Rose | 152 comments Audible sells to customers based on the home address attached to their account, nothing else. Once you log in, it doesn't matter what your IP address is, or your credit card's address, only your home address. If you put your home address as somewhere in the states, Audible will recognise you as a US customer. If you put it as somewhere in the UK, Audible will recognise you as a UK customer. If you're logged out though, you'll only see books that are sold in the country that matches your IP address.

message 21: by Michael (last edited Apr 07, 2014 08:42PM) (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments The whole idea is counter intuitive and self destructive. I struggle to make sense of it. We are talking thousands of sales that are just being plain lost. Everyone loses out. The author. The publisher. The narrator. The readers. It is like the book industry is still in the 19th century. Every other form of digital media there are always legal alternatives. Not for digital books though. I just can't understand it. Who is it benefitting? Pirates, I guess.

message 22: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 01, 2014 08:35AM) (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments I have both US and UK accounts. I went for the UK account because either the audiobook was not available (Midsommer Murders) or because I preferred the British narrator for a specific audiobook. I have to download to my computer and load using Itunes, but that's fine.

Before I started losing my vision, I bought books via online Brit stores and had them shipped here. All perfectly legal. I see this as no different, but shipping is through electronics.