What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. juvenile: I thought it was "Strawberry Girl"...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela4 (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:33AM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Juvenile book I read about 1980. It was a library book and I have the idea it was quite old and battered, so I would guess it was from before 1960.

I always thought it was "Strawberry Girl", but everything I've read about "Strawberry Girl" lately doesn't sound like the same book.

I only read the first few dozen pages, because I hated it. The main character is a girl who lives in the country and has at least one sister and two brothers. There's a feud with another family. Her brothers get into an altercation with two boys from the other family. (Strike one...) I don't know the exact circumstances, because the pages of the book were scrambled at this point. (Strike two...) Somehow one of her brothers is shot. (Strike three and I was outta there...)

I've always cringed every time someone recommended "Strawberry Girl". *Now* I'm getting the distinct impression it's not even the same book. I'd *really* like to get my facts straight.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady (minesayn) | 46 comments While it has been years since I read "Strawberry Girl" by Lois Lensky, I think the author was, that doesn't sound like the book I read. From what I remember about the book, it is about a girl on a strawberry farm growing up (not a coming of age novel exactly). It has been 45 years though so I am really sketchy on the details. The cover I seem to remember had a girl in a red and white dress and bonnet picking strawberries in a field.

message 3: by Leela4 (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:32AM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I suspect the book I started to read and hated was sent for repair years previously and mistakenly sewn into the cover of "Strawberry Girl". If this is the case, there's no way to even guess at the author, just hope someone comes along here and recognizes what I described.

message 4: by Nadine (last edited Feb 26, 2012 02:22AM) (new)

Nadine | 55 comments I read a book called the German equivalent of "Strawberry girl" maybe 20 years ago. But I am sure it was either an Australian or an American book due to the shape and kind of the windmill that was described... Mine was about a girl growing up on a strawberry farm, there was a windmill close by and she was terribly afraid of heights and a lot of the storyline was about her overcoming her fear and climbing up the windmill. I have been looking for that book for a while (both physically at home and virtually online for the author. I suspect the book was fueling my now passionate love of strawberries back then ;-).

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Leela4, are you still looking for this book?

message 6: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Yes, because I'd really like to get my facts straight.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Leela--every month or 2 you need to bump the thread up to the top of the folder queue. That way people will remember it when out and about, and new members will see it easier.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Actually, I have read Strawberry Girl and I think it is your book. There is a feud, etc. But in the context of the story, and the fact that Lenski was trying to bring some regional cultural history to schoolchildren from all over America, it's not a horrible book. My review here explains more: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 10: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments Bumping - was it Strawberry Girl or not, Leela?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response in 4+ years. Moving to Abandoned.