Armchair Sailors discussion

Group bookshelf/elves

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I added some books I've read just so our shelf wasn't empty, but I wondered how people wanted to handle this. Obviously, we'll all have read some books and not others. Do we just want to add any book someone has read to the "read" shelf? Or just shove all books we can find in there on the basis that somebody will read them sometime?

Thoughts?

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse hello? members?

*echo*

*echo*

message 3: by Monissa, Deck Hand (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Monissa | 87 comments Mod
They went that way.

message 4: by Monissa, Deck Hand (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

What's the point of the shelf?

It could be books that most of the group have read so they can be discussed.

Or, books someone in the group has read so they can provide an opinion to the others.

Or, books the group might want to read

I think the first one would be rather small :)

message 5: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Certainly the purpose of the shelf will determine what we want to do with it--pardon me while I get the butterfly net--but the question still is, what do we want to do with--pesky members--it?

I'm happy to stick any relevant book on there if that's what people want.

message 6: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Ahoy!

Goodness, you're well ahead of me--I just finished Mauritius Command!

Welcome to the group :).

message 7: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeygibson) I finished reading Blue At the Mizzen back in February. I read the first 14 books twice, and then completed the series. I'm going to miss it.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Ah, yeah, the pleasure of reading is sometimes alloyed by the knowledge you can only read anything for the first time once.

message 9: by Clif (new)

Clif Brittain (ClifBrittain) | 2 comments This thread is kind of old, and I am new to Goodreads, but is there a way to get a composite list of highly rated books that this group has read?

I have been told that there is an English writer with an Italian surname that writes good sailing war stories. Does anyone know who this is?

message 10: by David (new)

David (astrodene) | 3 comments Clifonef wrote: "This thread is kind of old, and I am new to Goodreads, but is there a way to get a composite list of highly rated books that this group has read?

I have been told that there is an English writer..."

The only Italian sounding surname I can think of is Nicholas Nicastro, though I have not read his books

message 11: by Libby (new)

Libby (Bodhililly) | 1 comments Clifonef wrote: "This thread is kind of old, and I am new to Goodreads, but is there a way to get a composite list of highly rated books that this group has read?

I have been told that there is an English writer..."

Perhaps they mean Rafael Sabatini, he wrote Captain Blood and a few other excellent books, he was born in Italy but lived in England most of his life.

message 12: by M. (new)

M. Kei (kujakupoet) | 10 comments How do we add books to the group bookshelves. Do we do it ourselves, or ask a librarian? New and confused, help!

I'm also about to leave for sea -- tall ship sailor here -- so I suppose it's kind of a moot point, but I would like to add my own books to the shelf on the theory that somebody might like them if they ever read them :)

Pirates of the Narrow Seas
Book One : The Sallee Rovers
Book Two : Men of Honor
Book Three Iron Men

I post pictures from my ship here: picasaweb.com/kujakupoet

Enjoy.

~K~

message 13: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

On the group home page, there's an "add book" button. That brings up a search window, search for the book you want and on the results page there should be an "add to group" option. On the bookshelf page there's a search book at the top which I assume works the same way.

Then you find the book on the "read" shelf, click Edit and add it to fiction or non-fiction (otherwise the group mods will glare at you).

Silly way to do it, but it's not my website.