Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Black History Month Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 4 comments I picked up From Midnight to Dawn: The Last Tracks of the Underground Railroad http://bit.ly/gBLGoe because I've always been fascinated with that piece of history and the brave people who put themselves out there to help others. Any other suggestions?

Elizabeth (Alaska) The Polished Hoe A Novel by Austin Clarke The Polished Hoe: A Novel by Austin Clarke. The story takes place in Barbados.

message 5: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Song Yet Sung 5 stars
Arc of Justice: A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age 5 stars (non fiction)
The Secret Life of Bees 5 stars
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 5 stars (non-fiction)
Raising Holy Hell: A Novel and Cloudsplitter both about John Brown and the raid on Harper's Ferry both 4 star books
The Help 3 stars

I might think of a few more, I'll come back.

message 6: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Black Boy by Richard Wright (Autobiography)

message 7: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments I second The Secret Life of Bees and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks!

message 9: by Shay (last edited Feb 17, 2011 05:36AM) (new)

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth To celebrate Black History Month Agate is offering Rosalyn Story's new novel, WADING HOME, as a free e-book! Pls RT. http://bit.ly/grEuky

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Sarah wrote: "The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
Soul on Ice
The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley

Are all really fantastic ..."

The Color of Water sounds fascinating. What's the time period, Sarah? A family friend, who was born in the 40's, is Japanese/African-American/Native American/White. Her father, born in the teens (10's) was half Japanese and half African American. She has some amazing stories, some beautiful, some funny, some tragic, because of her heritage.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Someone Knows My Name
5 star read, excellent book!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Shay wrote: "Sarah wrote: "The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
Soul on Ice

Are all really ..."

The time period is the 40's through to the 60's & 70's. It was a really interesting book, I flew through it.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Go Tell It On The Mountain -James Baldwin A truly amazing reading experience and journey with the main character.

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Sarah wrote: "Shay wrote: "Sarah wrote: "The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
Soul on Ice
..."

Thanks, Sarah. Added it to my TBR. It might make a nice Christmas present for my friend.

message 16: by Regine (last edited Feb 18, 2011 06:05AM) (new)

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 82 comments My book club read Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963. It was very moving. It is also a YA, thus easy to cruise through.

message 18: by Che (new)

Che (chezon) | 70 comments One of my all-time favorite books: The Wake of the Wind by J. California Cooper!!!!!! Would love to discuss it's contents with interested readers

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Chaney (carrie_chaney) | 148 comments It's already been mentioned once, but The Help was really great.

Elizabeth (Alaska) It's March and February was Black History Month, but today a friend forward the below link of an article written by her niece, and I wanted to pass it on.

http://www.themillions.com/2010/09/re...

In addition, there was a link to vote for this in some sort of contest, and if you're at all interested having read the above, you can do so at: http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksda...

The link to the contest is not why I post this, the article is worth every minute and it evens mentions Goodreads.

message 21: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) I recently finished The Personal History of Rachel DuPree: A Novel, and loved it. I couldn't put it down. It would make a great group read someday.