Liberty Lake Municipal Library discussion

What makes a book or series become the next big thing?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronda (new)

Ronda | 15 comments Mod
Ok, so I was thinking about books the other day (big surprise lol), and wondering why some hit and others not so much. Is it just good writing or does the "right" people liking it play more of a role? Such as the Twilight Saga vs The Uglies series, I enjoyed both... but what a difference in popularity! what do you think?

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Aidan | 4 comments Mod
This is a GREAT topic, Ronda. I'm going to think about it some before putting in my 2 cents, but I hope EVERYONE will join in.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_r) | 12 comments It is so hard to figure out why some books make it and others don't. I think it has to do with nonreaders. I think it is books that make non readers read that make or break a series or author. Which is interesting. I also think that Book Clubs often determine the popularity of a book. The Help was released and it wasn't until over a year later that everyone wanted to read it.

message 4: by Ronda (last edited Mar 24, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Ronda | 15 comments Mod
Ok, I think you're right. Book clubs are probably an influence, which is sort of like the "right" people noticing. :) Then there is TV and movies, take Pretty Little Liars... I work at the library and hadn't heard of those books until the TV series (which I love and watch religiously. lol.) How did the show come about? Maybe the books were more popular in other parts of the country? Maybe I live under a rock and just missed them. :) Things that make you go hmm...