Knitting in Fiction discussion

Authors writing in the "knitting genre."

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie  Zink (bee_zee) | 4 comments Mod
I've often wondered just how many authors publish in this "genre." Is knitting literature an actual genre? I've noted at least 24 authors who produce publications where knitting is placed as central to the story (fiction) and how knitting affects our lives (non-fiction). Do you have a favourite knitterly author who writes outside of the typical how-to type of book?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Wright (heather_wright) | 2 comments My favourite knitter in fiction is still Miss Marple, somy knitterly author would be Agatha Christie. I even wrote a story about how her character came about. The story is called The Knitter and you can have a peek at it here: http://wrightwriter.wordpress.com/sto... I've also enjoyed the KnitLit anthologies very much.

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Heather wrote: "My favourite knitter in fiction is still Miss Marple, somy knitterly author would be Agatha Christie. I even wrote a story about how her character came about. The story is called The Knitter and yo..."

Both are fantastic examples of how knitting plays a role in literature! Thanks for sharing.

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1 comments As for writers in the "knitting genre," I like Kate Jacobs (Friday Night Knitting Club, etc.), Maggie Sefton (she writes knitting murder mysteries!) and Gil McNeil (Beach Street Knitting & Yarn Society, etc.).

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Teresa wrote: "As for writers in the "knitting genre," I like Kate Jacobs (Friday Night Knitting Club, etc.), Maggie Sefton (she writes knitting murder mysteries!) and Gil McNeil (Beach Street Knitting & Yarn Soc..."

I have yet to read Gil McNeil, but have heard very good things about Beach Street Knitting & Yarn Society. Thanks for the tip!

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna My favourite knitting book is Knitting by Anne Bartlett. It's a few years since I read it but I remember I enjoyed it very much.

message 7: by Ady (new)

Ady (adyreader) I just finished the Sweetgum KnitLit Society books and enjoyed them. Friday Night Knitting Club is also great. Rachel Herron is also terrific if you like this genre. The KnitLit anthology is on my reading list. I actually downloaded the books to my Nook recently.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna I'm just reading A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber. This is the 2nd in the series so I've still got quite a few to go.

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Anna wrote: "I'm just reading A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber. This is the 2nd in the series so I've still got quite a few to go."
Anna, are you enjoying DM? I have her on my list of to-reads, but haven't jumped in yet.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Bonnie, I am enjoying her books. I'm finding the 2nd book similar to the first but it would be hard for that not to happen as the whole plot is set around classes in a knitting shop and the relationships that evolve through the group so the plot is going to be similar. It's a nice light read. Perfect for bedtime.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dancer2) | 6 comments I've really enjoyed Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries.Am looking forward to trying a few of the other knitting authors mentioned by others in the group! Anna, what is the name of the first in Debbie Macomber's series? Love the cozy mysteries with a cup of tea after a busy day!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Wright (heather_wright) | 2 comments The first in the series is The Shop on Blossom Street. I've read 3 in the series and have enjoyed how the characters from each novel link to the next. http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.c...

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dancer2) | 6 comments The Shop on Blossom St. sounds great; I'll check that one out right away. Thanks for the recommendation Heather! I love books in series where you can get to know the characters.

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 06, 2012 11:02PM) (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Maggie Sefton is definitely my favorite, but another good author is Monica Ferris. Her main character runs a needle craft shop and she solves local mysteries.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susansolo) Sharon wrote: "I've really enjoyed Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries.Am looking forward to trying a few of the other knitting authors mentioned by others in the group! Anna, what is the name of the first in Debb..."

Sharon, I just started reading the knitting mysteries by Maggie Sefton. I'm on number 3 - A Deadly Yarn. I really enjoy her books.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (susansolo) Stephanie wrote: "Maggie Sefton is definitely my favorite, but another good author is Monica Ferris. Her main character runs a needle craft shop and she solves local mysteries."

I really enjoy Maggie Sefton's books, so I'll have to put Monica Ferris books on my to read list. Thanks!

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dancer2) | 6 comments Thanks to everyone who recommended The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. I finished it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Onto her next one!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dancer2) | 6 comments Susan, Maggie Sefton is definitely a favorite of mine. Enjoy a Deadly Yarn!

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dancer2) | 6 comments A Deadly Yarn was good although I missed reading more about the original knit group; still she did incorporate them somewhat. It's definitely a good series though and I'm looking forward to the next one.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (tetaknits) | 1 comments I've enjoyed Maggie Sefton and Debbie Macomber's books. I've read a few of Monica Ferris books (not all are in our local library...).
There's another mystery series I found, but I can't recall it right now.
Love a good mystery with some major yarnie goodness!

message 21: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Warrens | 1 comments I enjoy the Seaside Knitters series by Sally Goldenbaum. It is a mystery series and a lot of fun. I love the small town seaside setting and there is always a free pattern.

message 22: by KnittingFiction (new)

KnittingFiction | 2 comments Hi everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to share some information about a FB page I recently created all about knitting in fiction... specifically, novels in which knitting is a major component in the plot and characters. I'll be posting reviews, trivia, author information, etc. It's just for fun but I'd love a few more "likes" on the FB page. Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/knittingfict...

I plan to post to Goodreads too, particularly all reivews.

message 23: by KnittingFiction (new)

KnittingFiction | 2 comments Came across this review for a "knitting fiction" book...

Blood Stitcheshttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

"I read this book for NetGalley... What a charming and delightful knitting fiction book. Usually, I do not like knitting novels (I knit, and I also am not a big fan of formula writing in any genre, including the craft novel) due to the lack of imagination, exciting plot, formulaic characters and dialogue, etc. This book is refreshingly different in so many ways..."