History is Not Boring discussion

Art and History?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 31 comments Hi, I'm new to goodreads and to this group, but I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in the intersections of art and history? This could mean either traditional art history, or else the historical or political uses of images? This struck me as possibly an interesting topic of discussion within "history is not boring," since I think that images can often help to bring history to life. Any recommendations for books that look at the role of images in history? Thanks!

message 2: by Lea (new)

Lea | 14 comments If you're interested in the French Revolution, Lynn Hunt, a professor at UCLA, has written a lot in this area. There's also a great website that deals entirely with images of the French Revolution, organized by the history department of George Mason University. http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/imaging/

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim the book GOYA comes to mind

I read it quite a while ago butit was very history-art oriented as Goya painted some famous scenes of conflicts between citizens and government which I can see but don't remember titles

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 31 comments Thanks Jim. Is that the Robert Hughes Goya? I very much like Robert Hughes, but now that you mention it I had forgotten about that book. I'll put it on my "to read" list. Thanks!

message 5: by James (new)

James Great subtopic. One of the best history courses I ever got the chance to take was set up to include a focus on art and other cultural media for each period - the text had three chapters for each time period; one was about political and military events, one about technology and lifestyles, and one about the arts.
One of the things that has always been striking to me about the way art reflects culture is the art of the middle ages - the weird (to us) perspectives where some people are several times as large as others, and the portrayals of animals as being religious in the same ways as people, because the artists just assumed that religiosity permeated the rest of the world the way it did their lives.

message 6: by Jason (last edited Aug 14, 2008 01:42PM) (new)

Jason Two that I can think of are probably often cited, those being Diego Rivera and Jose Clemente Orozco, both well known Mexican muralists that depicted workers, surrealist imagery, and political figures in the work. Also, more recently, the English graffiti artist Banksy.

message 7: by Lea (new)

Lea | 14 comments I just heard something about Banksy -- that his identity had been uncovered, through facebook I think? Can anyone fill me in?

message 8: by Jason (last edited Aug 18, 2008 10:18PM) (new)

Jason Hey Lea,

There have been several possible identities for Banksy thrown around in the media. The one you're referring to was claimed by a British newspaper called The Mail On Sunday, which was of Robin Cunnignham. There is a facebook profile under that name, but I don't know who actually runs it. Other possible identities mentioned have been Robin Banks, Robert Banks, Steve Lazarides(claims to be banksy's agent), and probably others.

message 9: by Lea (new)

Lea | 14 comments Thanks Jason! I'll check those out. I've been interested in Banksy for quite awhile, so this is great to know about.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim the GOYA book was by Robert Hughes and was excellent

Hughes is good and I should read more of him but I should read more of a lot of things

so what has BANKSY done and where can I see some of the graffitti and why is it art or is it ART?

message 11: by Jim (last edited Aug 21, 2008 09:34AM) (new)

Jim website looks great, Lea

message 12: by Jim (last edited Aug 21, 2008 09:35AM) (new)

Jim sounds like the way all subjects should be taught so that students can see how nothing develops in a vacuum, James

message 13: by Lea (new)

Lea | 14 comments Hi Jim,

Yes, I completely agree about that website being the way all subjects should be taught. Although, to be honest, these days I'd be happy enough if subjects were taught at all....I've had college students react with the utmost skepticism when I've told them that the Aztecs and Incas were vanquished by the Spanish, or that old New York was once New Amsterdam....

Bansky has his own website: http://www.banksy.co.uk/ Have a look and then we can chat about whether or not it's art.

Enjoy!

Lea

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 37 comments I agree, it's definitely an intriguing subject. I'll have to check out the books by Lynn Hunt.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Murphy | 101 comments I read up on the history of stained glass windows just for a brief blog post, but it seemed really interesting! Apparently, they weren't being made from the Renaissance to the Victorian era (mainly because Renaissance artists tried to force them to be too realistic).
https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...