Reading the Chunksters discussion

Archived 2010 Group Reads > The Woman in White - Rate Your Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Hey everyone, since we are either finished, or finishing this book, I wanted to post this.

Please post your thoughts (optional) about the book and what you would rate it. Then I can give it an overall rating from the group. Thanks!

message 2: by Kristi (last edited Feb 16, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I love this book, from the heartbreak of Walter leaving, to the treachery of Fosco and Sir Percival, to Laura/Ann's death to the wonderful ending...it was one great, well written book. If this is any clue about Wilkie Collins's writing, I'll be reading many of his books in the future!

I gave it 5*

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wooohoo, Loved it! I am going to give it a solid 5!

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I hear ya Andrea, I was hunting down The Moonstone yesterday. I may have to use a gift card and order it...

message 5: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 I also loved it and gave it a 5! :)

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (momtoconnor) I really liked this book too! Would love to read some more of his books too!

It was so much fun reading this with everyone! Can't wait to start Vanity Fair!

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Denise, would you call it 5 stars??

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise (momtoconnor) Kristi wrote: "Denise, would you call it 5 stars??"

Yes...I would definitely give it 5 stars!

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) great...it's looking like a 5* book...anyone else want to chime in??

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (thysanura) 5 stars! I'd give it 10, if I could. This is going on the list of all-time favorites. :)

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I agree Suzanne...definitely an all time favorite for me too!

message 12: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Yup! 5 from me as well!

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (itwasatrickpie) I read this several years ago, and while I really enjoyed The Moonstone, this one left me cold and was a struggle to finish. The main problem was I just didn't share the protagonist's fascination and didn't feel the author gave him adequate depth for me to be able to empathise. I don't think this was required for The Moonstone which is more of a classic mystery, so I didn't feel he was playing to his strengths with The Woman in White.

You could almost compare the protagonist's quest for the lady in The Woman in White to Captain Ahab's quest for the white whale in Moby-Dick. A comedy review waiting to be written ;-)

So, errr... *Ducks* - 2*

message 14: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I just joined the group and loved looking over the comments every one had for this book. I read it for another group last year and was reminded of all the reasons I loved it so much. It's one of the few I would love to re-read one day. Great comments from everyone!

I agreed with everyone's surmises on how dreary he made marriage appear, but it's interesting that this is written by a man, whereas the Austen novels are written by a woman. I wonder how much of that is perspective of gender at the time?