Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hamilton, Laurell K. - Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton

message 2: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Mar 30, 2011 06:21PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Ok, if I had to absolutely positively list a book in the series as a favorite this one would win by a nose hair. This book has everything I like about the series except everyone from St. Louis and sex. That's why it only wins by a nose hair instead of by several lengths. lol

2. Edward (who doesn't love some Edward?)
3. Anita getting some control over her powers (finally!! jeez!)
4. crime to solve (now we're talking!!)
5. Bradley Bradford is back (nice to see him again)
6. Bernardo (and his HUGE...you know)
7. Olaf (omg...scary, creepy yet strangely compelling)
8. Donna & the kids (Edward? Maybe in love? Getting married? KIDS?? Who'd have thunk it?)
9. Edward's home AKA The Batcave!!!
10. a dragon (neat!)
11. Obsidian Butterfly (she is one creepy delusional vampire)
12. jaguars
13. a necromancer who practices ritual necromancy (nice to learn something new)
14. scary werewolf clan
15. Anita's kill count to the bad guys (I was trying to remember if she counted right lol I know she didn't count Colin's vamps)
16. Anita mouthing off (always entertaining)
17. Edward realizing that catching the bad guy isn't worth losing Anita
18. this quote: "But I’d seen beneath the mask, further than I’d ever been allowed before. The one thing I’d never expected to find was fear, and beneath that, trust. Edward trusted me with more than his life. He trusted me to make sure he died well. For a man like Edward there was no greater trust."
19. Anita and Edward discussing feelings and stuff (wow, that's weird LOL)

Dislikes:
1. Anita's continuing denial about herself and her tie to the guys-the whole conversation with Leonora-her stubborn willful blindness (I seriously want to just smack her repeatedly until she sees sense)

I consider this book a turning point in the series. Anita's life just gets more complicated (and more interesting) from here on out. I know, I know...hard to be more interesting, but it is! :)

message 3: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) I liked this book solely because we got to see more of Edward. I also liked the jaguar shifters, Bernardo, and Creepy Olaf (is it wrong that I find his serial killer creepiness kind of sexy O.o). Anita gains a cool new power that is all her own. HAHAHAH The Batcave. It sucked about Peter and Becca, things like that shouldn't happen to children. I love the way the bad guys underestimate Anita. What a creepy shared moment with Olaf that turned out to be.

So I know I've been an Anti-Richard fan but I'm going to rant about Anita. True I've never fully embraced her as a character but she was beginning to grow on me some until this book. She is so SELFISH. I totally agree with you Carol about slapping her silly. She wants all the benefits but none of the complications. AHHHHH I could hate her, and I don't feel bad for her in the next book either. end rant.

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Not liking Edward at the moment. Only 5 chapters in. will try to read more tonight.

Any of you guys interested in reading Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione? We just started a buddy read on Sunday. I'm liking it so far.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I agree that Anita is a frustrating character simply because she refuses to acknowledge how things are proceeding for her. However, she is slowly coming to terms that her life is never going to be what she thought it would unlike Richard who is still clinging to his picture of a perfect life.

I love Anita because she's not perfect. She has some bad traits, but she has some really good traits, too. I guess my beef with Anita is that she's not adjusting fast enough for me. And that's not the fault of the character or the writer. I'm just an impatient person. :D Plus, many of the things Anita is struggling with (especially in future books) are things I don't have a problem with (multiple sex partners, m/m sex, etc), so I have to sit back and wait for her to adjust, but she IS adjusting. And like Anita says many times throughout the series, she can't not struggle or make things less difficult. It's her nature.

Ah, the next book and her constant refrain of "I didn't know." Well, whose damn fault is that, Anita? Now, she has to live with it. Ooh...that reminds me. There's a JC quote I wanted to include in my NiC sum up.

message 6: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) I guess I have the same problem. She isn't adjusting fast enough and her "I didn't know" song gets old in the next. I guess I'm one of those people that quickly adjusts to change and things that I can't control that it is frustrating to deal with people who don't deal with it as well (even fictional characters). I'm with you Carol about the things she is adjusting to. I don't have a problem with the sex stuff and I think that in the later books she is quicker to just go with the flow. Unlike Richard, he is so back and forth about everything, I remember screaming in frustration every time he gains a step and retreats 5 when things get weird.

@ Lisarenee is that the 1st book in the Demonica series...because I read that already and loved it. Tayla (?) is an ass-kicker the kind of heroine I like.

message 7: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited May 19, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I just started A Discovery of Witches and about to crack open Cerulean Sins and I have 14 books on deck, so I don't have time to read Pleasure Unbound. I might have time in July though.

@Ingrid ~ Ah, Richard. You gotta love to hate him. lol

@Lisarenee ~ I love Edward, but he was irritating me at the beginning of OB. He gets better. :)

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I am almost done. Just a hundred or more pages to go.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Ingrid, It is the first book of the Demonica series. Have you read Eternal Rider yet?

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) sorry for the reply.. I haven't read Eternal Rider yet. Who is it by?

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments It's by Larissa Ione.