Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hamilton, Laurell K. - Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton. Be prepared for spoilers.

Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8) by Laurell K. Hamilton

message 2: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Mar 28, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Another one done. :)

Likes (again, in no particular order):
1. Road Trip!!
2. traveling on JC's private jet
3. blue moon (didn't know what that meant until I read this book)
4. Asher & Damian (I love these guys!)
5. Jason and the furballs (LOL)
6. Anita forming a tighter bond with 'her' leopards
7. using the munin to heal
8. Anita kicks redneck azz
9. Anita is healing much faster
10. sex with Richard (he irritates me, but, well...YUMMY! lol)
11. meeting another werewolf pack
12. finding out you have to give gifts when you visit a pack: a freshly killed animal, jewelry for the Lupa or something mystical
13. Anita fries Colin's vampires (she's such a badass!)
14. we find out about secondary feeding sources that some Masters have (JC can feed from sex/sexual energy/lust!)
15. we learn Damian is now Anita's servant
16. Anita giving Maiden shit (too funny)
17. a demon (Wow! Cool! Scary!)
18. lycanthrope energy helps heal the wounded (puppy pile), licking a wound also helps heal
19. the big knife (man, I love that thing!)
20. Anita does the torturing herself (she doesn't ask anyone to do what she won't do herself)
21. Marianne (we finally meet a psychic for more than a brief minute)
22. bad guys get what's coming to them (always satisfying)
23. Raina being, well, Raina (she forces Anita to finally start getting some training and it's about darned time!!)
24. Asher & Damian heal Nathaniel and Anita turns around and heals Damian
25. Jamil & Shang-Da are enforcers/bodyguards, Sköll & Hati (we learn these are their positions in the pack)
26. We meet some of Richard's family

There wasn't anything about the book (nuts and bolts of the writing or story) that I disliked, so I'll list what I disliked within the story:
1. Roxanne (she has no control over her anger)
2. Verne (what a dumbass man, telling a woman like Roxanne that Anita propositioned him--his hospitality is 0-3 in my opinion)
3. Frank Niley (do I really need to say why?)
4. Linus Beck (ditto for this psycho)
5. Sheriff Wilkes and his band of merry men (I loathe men of the law who think they are above the law simply because they are the law--see The Lunatic Cafe)
6. Gabriel is long dead and I still hate him for how much he has screwed up the leopards
7. JC & Richard keeping important stuff from Anita (though she brings most of it on herself since she can be so harsh and unbending)

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay I'm still loving the series and read this one this weekend. I have to say that I actually liked that Richard and Anita got together. What can I say? I live vicariously through Anita. Gosh, dang! Damien was really putting the moves on Anita.

Not sure what I think about JC after this one. Not sure I like the possible reasons he didn't tell Anita what he knew about the way the triumvirate would affect her or that he is a sort of succubus vamp. I'm back to wondering if he has some ulterior motives. The biting of the other Ulfric was interesting too. Seemed like JC could actually feed via Anita? Not sure about that. That fourth marks could really have some interesting consequences. I wonder if JC would in fact gain control over everyone or not with the last marks in place. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Was sad about what happened to Richard's family. Love the way Anita handled things. Loved how Dolph told Anita if it came to her or Frank to make sure she was the one left standing.

Wish we'd learned more about the Trolls. I kept picturing Dobby (yeah, I know he was an elf, but he looks like a troll to me) from Harry Potter.

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yep! Dolph earned bonus points.

Okay, one thing that bothered me with this one was all the biting, licking of wounds, etc. between Anita and the weres. I kept thinking couldn't she be infected this way? Seemed to contradict things.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments JC loves Anita, he admits to her (crap, which book was it?) that he was 1st attracted to her partial immunity, then to how strong she was magically and physically...she would never be waiting for him to save her, she can save herself. But now he loves her as much as he, as a vampire, can love anyone. Yes, he loves the power. For almost his entire undead life he's been a victim, at the mercy of bigger and badder vamps. The one thing he wants most is enough power to be safe and keep his people safe. Anita and Richard help him do that. Having said that, JC is a vampire and he has 10 different ulterior motives going at once. He's had to be that way to survive and I don't see him changing just because he loves Anita. I don't want him to change, well, maybe a little bit when it comes to the really important stuff. Like the marks binding them closer.

Just remember it wasn't just JC that hid that 'little' bit of info from her, but Richard, too. Anita being Anita is the reason they hide shit from her. She can be so harsh that I'd want to keep stuff from her, too. She's her own worst enemy and she needs to lighten up if she wants them to treat her like an equal. They don't treat her that way now because she throws a hissy fit every time things don't go her way or don't meet her expectations.

Lycanthropy can only be passed on from a bite or scratch/cut in animal form or by a bad vaccine. Though there is mention later of blood transfusions. I would think the blood itself would be contagious for transfusions or if it was ingested. However, for Anita it's a mute point. She has 3 vampire marks and can't get lycanthropy or any other disease. (biting tongue after that remark)

I can't wait for you guys to read on. It just keeps getting more interesting. :)

message 6: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) 1. Road Trip!!
2. traveling on JC's private jet
4. Asher & Damian (I love these guys!)
5. Jason and the furballs (LOL)
6. Anita forming a tighter bond with 'her' leopards
7. using the munin to heal
8. Anita kicks redneck azz
9. Anita is healing much faster
10. sex with Richard (he irritates me, but, well...YUMMY! lol)
13. Anita fries Colin's vampires (she's such a badass!)
15. we learn Damian is now Anita's servant
19. the big knife (man, I love that thing!)
20. Anita does the torturing herself (she doesn't ask anyone to do what she won't do herself)
21. SHANG DA...Me likey

Thanks Carol for another wonderful list I can agree with.

I totally agree about Gabriel and adding Raina to that theirs was a gift that keeps on giving for sure. I love the Leopards!!!! And though we are having an Anti Richard kick I do agree that hot werewolf sex does help patch things up. You get yours Anita! I love Jason and I am glad that he has more of a main role as the books progress. The only real sadness is the lack of JC deliciousness.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blue Moon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurell K. Hamilton (other topics)