English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > March 2011 BotM Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

All - I'm looking for suggestions for the March of the Month title. As we went a bit old school for February 2011, I'm thinking we might want to try something a bit more recent. Any suggestions?? Any favourites you'd like to share and discuss? Feel free to use this thread to make suggestions. Cheers! ~S~

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 41 comments A book by Elizabeth George. So many to choose from.

message 3: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments This may be too much for some, but we could follow up with Jill Patton Walsh who has carried on the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries:

Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane
1. Thrones, Dominations (1998) (with Dorothy L Sayers)
2. A Presumption of Death (2002) (with Dorothy L Sayers)
3. The Attenbury Emeralds (2010)

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry How about "Snobbery with Violence" by Marion Chesney. She's the author of the Agatha Raisin and the Hamish MacBeth series (written under the name M.C. Beaton), and this is the first book in her series of Edwardian murder mysteries. Her books that I have read could be called "cozies," and they're a lot of fun.

message 5: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Oooh, I like M.C. Beaton, sounds fun!

message 6: by Christy (last edited Feb 19, 2011 04:14PM) (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 11 comments Sherry wrote: "How about "Snobbery with Violence" by Marion Chesney. She's the author of the Agatha Raisin and the Hamish MacBeth series (written under the name M.C. Beaton), and this is the first book in her ser..."

I LOVED that series...was sad there were only 4 books to it. I did something quite unusual for me, I read all four books in the same month! I usually spread a series out so as not to get burnt out on it, but I had to DEVOUR those books!

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry So, Sarah - did you ever settle on a March BotM? Haven't heard anything from you lately - hope all is well with you and yours!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry - Thanx much! Been a bit chaotic here with Mom's health but I've been keeping an eye on things and happily it looks like everything has stabilized again.

All - I'd like to suggest that for the next month we go with the first of another series rather than continuing with books by Dorothy Sayers.

Specifcally - I'd like to recommend the first Inspector Lynley mystery by Elizabeth George. I like this idea because I think there are similarities between Lord Wimsey and Inspector Lynley so there is a sense of continuity between the two months of our reading club while at the same time this reading would be a modern author writing in a modern setting. I like the idea of both similiarity and great differences.

Any grand objections, I'm happy to discuss but, with my moderator's hat on, I'd like the next BotM to be Elizabeth George 'A Great Deliverance'. If I don't hear any huge objections in the next day or two, I'll open a new thread for the next BotM.
Cheers all!
Sarah

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 41 comments Great idea! for next month's read. Can hardly wait.

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 5 comments My husband and I watched the entire Inspector Lynley TV series and loved it (except for the mid-series change of actress playing his love interest). Looking forward to the similarities/differences between the show and the books.

message 11: by Eswope (new)

Eswope | 4 comments I just put it on the kindle and will start asap. New to the group and very excited

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

OK everyone! No grand objections makes it official - the March BotM title is Elizabeth George 'A Great Deliverance'. I'll open a new thread now and close this one to make it official! Thank you SO much for all the great input.

And don't worry if we didn't pick something you're thrilled about. Hold your ideas for April! We can get round to everyone's ideas eventually! :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.